Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Preferred Seat Selection: Aeroplan Booking

Old Jul 20, 2013, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*100K MM, HHonors Diamond

I have an award booking for which two of the segments are YXE -YYC/YYC-YXE. These are the only non-executive legs of the trip. When I tried to pick a preferred seat (for myself and travel companion), AC wanted to charge me $144 ($36 x4). I'm SE and the tickets are booking into Flex, X.

According to the webiste, "* Preferred seat - Complimentary for you and your travel companion(s) on the same booking: if you are travelling on a Latitude fare; if you are a Super Elite 100K customer travelling on a Flex or Tango fare;"

I just ended up moving us form the back on the plane (Row 18) to Row 2 (instead of Row 1), so not a big deal but just curious if preferred seats can be chosen via AC.com on such an award booking?
Old Jul 20, 2013, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
IME preferred seats are complimentary for SEs on AE bookings, however one usually has to call AC (and sometimes convince them that you´re entitled to the seats) to get the seats.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 2:58 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
S100K can choose preferred seats on any fare, including Tango and Aeroplan rewards.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...rredseats.html
Preferred seat selection is complimentary:

- when you travel on a Latitude fare;
- for you and your travel companion(s) on the same booking if you are:
- an Altitude Super Elite 100K customer travelling on any fare:
- An Altitude Elite 75K customer travelling on a Flex fare;
- An Altitude Elite 50K or Elite 35K customer or Star Alliance Gold member (with another airline) travelling on a Flex fare (front row bulkhead only).
If you get an agent that tries to charge you for it, either ask for a supervisor, or hang up and call back. Choosing for a Tango or AE booking is new for 2013.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dinotoon
I have an award booking for which two of the segments are YXE -YYC/YYC-YXE. These are the only non-executive legs of the trip. When I tried to pick a preferred seat (for myself and travel companion), AC wanted to charge me $144 ($36 x4). I'm SE and the tickets are booking into Flex, X.

According to the webiste, "* Preferred seat - Complimentary for you and your travel companion(s) on the same booking: if you are travelling on a Latitude fare; if you are a Super Elite 100K customer travelling on a Flex or Tango fare;"

I just ended up moving us form the back on the plane (Row 18) to Row 2 (instead of Row 1), so not a big deal but just curious if preferred seats can be chosen via AC.com on such an award booking?
Get that position often from agents on YSB/YYZ portion of reward seats for Mrs.acysb87 in J/Y. Be firm,have always gotten preferred seat(s)
Old Jul 21, 2013, 9:25 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Like any corporation with a large call centre workforce, not everyone is up to date on policies.

I have used many reward points and I always have to call AC to get my preferred seats as an SE because AC blocks these from AP. When my family travels with me, its a hit and miss as some agents see its a SE priority reward so we all enjoy preferred seats and some think only the SE passenger enjoys the preferred seat.

In the end I may make a half dozen calls, but get the seats.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 8:01 pm

"Preferred seat - Complimentary for you and your travel companion(s) on the same booking: if you are travelling on a Latitude fare; if you are a Super Elite 100K customer travelling on a Flex or Tango fare; if you are an Elite 75K customer travelling on a Flex fare; or if you are an Elite 50K or Elite 35K or Star Alliance Gold member (with another airline) travelling on a Flex fare (front row bulkhead only)."

Apparently SE can't get preferred seats on AE rewards, which goes against the benefit...

But can E/SE call in and get a preferred seat? It does book into "Flex (X)"...
Old Dec 13, 2013, 8:26 pm

Programs: AC 100k, Star Alliance Gold, Fairmont Platinum, Westjet Gold, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
I'm currently having the exact same issue. I booked an AP rewards ticket as SE100k and called to get bulkhead seats and was told I have to pay despite the website clearing stating the opposite. Has anyone heard of a recent change to the policy that hasn't been updated on the site?

bit.ly/1ec0z3C
Old Dec 13, 2013, 8:30 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
did you call and speak to AC or AE?
Old Dec 13, 2013, 8:36 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM
Originally Posted by luckylager
I'm currently having the exact same issue. I booked an AP rewards ticket as SE100k and called to get bulkhead seats and was told I have to pay despite the website clearing stating the opposite. Has anyone heard of a recent change to the policy that hasn't been updated on the site?

bit.ly/1ec0z3C
You need to call AC to select your AP seat. And if you did, call again as you got a bobble head

Last edited by mountaingrl; Dec 13, 2013 at 8:54 pm
Old Mar 3, 2014, 9:30 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Would you be entitled to preferred seat selection if you book using AP points and hold A3 *G status?
Old Mar 3, 2014, 11:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by shore9
Would you be entitled to preferred seat selection if you book using AP points and hold A3 *G status?
No, aside from the difficulties of getting another FF number on an Aeroplan booking, *G only gets preferred (bulkhead) seats on Flex fares.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:46 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
No, aside from the difficulties of getting another FF number on an Aeroplan booking, *G only gets preferred (bulkhead) seats on Flex fares.
But the fare type for award tickets says "Flex X". Is there any difference between this Flex fare and the Flex fares you buy.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 11:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 1353513636
But the fare type for award tickets says "Flex X". Is there any difference between this Flex fare and the Flex fares you buy.
Yes. X is not Flex, regardless of what it says. And you won't be able to pull the "IT SAID IT WAS FLEX" card, because that doesn't show up until after the booking is made.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 6:07 pm

Yes on two occasions for us holdings A3*G using Aeroplan points. But only preferred (bulkhead). 12C once and 18A the other time. YMMV of course

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Old Jul 13, 2014, 8:24 pm

Can I get preferred seating if I book a Aeroplan redemption for a family member... I am SE 100k.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.