Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by rankourabu
The average age of Air Canada's 767 fleet is 19.1 years
http://www.airfleets.net/ageflotte/Air%20Canada.htm
and overall average of AC's fleet is 12.9 years

The average age of KLM's MD-11s is 18.5 years
http://www.airfleets.net/ageflotte/KLM.htm
and overall average of KL's fleet is 9.9 years old
I'll take my chances on a 767 anyday. Plus those stats aren't really fair. KL has dumped off their old short haul stuff onto City Hopper while those AC 20 year old A3xx birds are still counted.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 7:19 pm

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
ah but lets not get stats get in the way of a great AC is better post

AC in the last two months: 78%
http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight....do?airline=AC
WS in the last two months: 77%
http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight....do?airline=ws
PD in the last two months: 76%
http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight....do?airline=pd

Granted, AC has improved from their overall ratings in the 50%s a few months back.
Do you hate AC so much that you need to bash any post that is not hating on AC? If you kindly re-read my post you will note that it is implicitly says it was my experience not everyone's...
Old Jun 29, 2013, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by danapop
Do you hate AC so much that you need to bash any post that is not hating on AC? If you kindly re-read my post you will note that it is implicitly says it was my experience not everyone's...
I said they have improved!!

I guess putting forth facts is now hating..
Old Jun 29, 2013, 8:17 pm

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
I said they have improved!!

I guess putting forth facts is now hating..
You initial comment kind of set the AC-Blamest tone
"ah but lets not get stats get in the way of a great AC is better post"

Perhaps I read it wrong. And if I did, my apologies.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)
And good luck finding a WJ ticket at the economy fare unless booking 200 days in advance. Then start looking at the plus fares - which are criminal in my opinion. I had WJ dollars to burn so the wife and I are going to vegas. Flying UA J down from YEG on AP miles and WJ home. Only fare available was plus and EACH one way was $442... I felt like I needed to call the Special Victims Unit.
I agree - WestJet's Plus fares are ridiculous and make no sense. You pay such a huge premium for something that is barely E+.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PointWeasel
The on-time performance issue intrigues me a bit - are these flights all over the country or...?
On time performance is based on domestic only; however, I believe they simply used anecdotal evidence. Is there any actual quantitative measure of AC vs. WS respective on-time performances?
Old Jun 29, 2013, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Nobody likes to lose business, and for the time that you've been with us, I will say honestly that it was truly valued. Large corporate exodus? I have no data, but don't see it. I am rarely on a flight with less than a 98% load factor. After several decades I can pretty much pick out who's on leisure and who's on business. Customers come, and go, and come back again. We'll be waiting with outstretched arms when you're ready

Continued safe travels.
Thanks ACYYZ/SD. I felt valued on AC. They have rewarded me well (eg. 100% upgrade success last year and so far YTD) and the staff always treated me well - so professional. Trust me, I am being dragged kicking and screaming to WS, but I simply have no choice.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
KLM "The Fun Airline"

Actually once they start installing their new J seats I'll be giving them a try again though. Used to love flying them in the 1980's
I love the look of KL's new J product!
Old Jun 29, 2013, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

The average age of Air Canada's 767 fleet is 19.1 years
http://www.airfleets.net/ageflotte/Air%20Canada.htm
and overall average of AC's fleet is 12.9 years

The average age of KLM's MD-11s is 18.5 years
http://www.airfleets.net/ageflotte/KLM.htm
and overall average of KL's fleet is 9.9 years old
Interesting you bring this up, rankourabu - fleet age was another point to justify the change in preferred carriers. I don't see how that matters. AC has a well-maintained fleet even if it may be slightly older than other airlines. However, is AC's fleet THAT much older than WS?
Old Jun 30, 2013, 12:21 am
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Originally Posted by capebretonboy
Definitely AC is uncompetitive when your compare Flex with WestJet's lowest Economy fare. But that is not really comparing apples to oranges.

Tedgrrrr the credit transfers have something to do with changing names. WS must allow pax to change names so that you can put a flight credit in someone else's name (eg. if an employee leaves the company before being able to use their flight credit from a cancelled ticket).
And good luck finding a WJ ticket at the economy fare unless booking 200 days in advance. Then start looking at the plus fares - which are criminal in my opinion. I had WJ dollars to burn so the wife and I are going to vegas. Flying UA J down from YEG on AP miles and WJ home. Only fare available was plus and EACH one way was $442... I felt like I needed to call the Special Victims Unit.
I'm always bemused by the "prices prove AC is better" arguments.

If WS is more expensive than AC then their fares are "criminal".

If AC is more expensive than WS it's because AC is a better airline that people want to fly even though the price is higher due to the increased demand.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 12:30 am
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
The day I feared has come. My employer has dumped AC as a preferred carrier and is moving all spend over to WS and PD. Reasons stated were uncompetitive fares, weaker on-time performance, lack of credit transfer between employees, and ACs practice of overselling seats. It is truly a sad day because I honestly much, much preferred flying AC.

In a way this is liberating because I will no longer chase status and I can instead try a variety of new airlines both domestically, transborder and international. So I am looking forward to that, but I will miss the game of chasing status and being part of the Star Alliance - the best airline alliance, IMO.

I feel like I am part of a large corporate exodus from AC - or am I just imagining this because it is impacting me so directly?
Nobody likes to lose business, and for the time that you've been with us, I will say honestly that it was truly valued. Large corporate exodus? I have no data, but don't see it. I am rarely on a flight with less than a 98% load factor. After several decades I can pretty much pick out who's on leisure and who's on business. Customers come, and go, and come back again. We'll be waiting with outstretched arms when you're ready

Continued safe travels.
While I'm certain that sentiment is sincere and widespread amongnst front line employees in general and flight crews in particular (and reflects my experience) I fear that the higher in management you go the less likely one is to find that attitude.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by Stranger
Don't they still fly MD11s though?
KLM MD-11s are being phased out this year for B777, so no new J for these. Still a regular this summer to YVR. Avoid until next year at the earliest.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
On time performance is based on domestic only; however, I believe they simply used anecdotal evidence. Is there any actual quantitative measure of AC vs. WS respective on-time performances?
of course there is, while AC fans seem to proclaim "AC is more on time", the stats are almost identical, but, yes AC has improved since they were running ~50%

AC in the last two months: 78%
http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight....do?airline=AC
WS in the last two months: 77%
http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight....do?airline=ws

Interesting you bring this up, rankourabu - fleet age was another point to justify the change in preferred carriers. I don't see how that matters. AC has a well-maintained fleet even if it may be slightly older than other airlines. However, is AC's fleet THAT much older than WS?
This was in response to the, "but KLM flies MD-11s". Its an uncomfortable fact that AC's fleet is quite old. Even Aeroflot has a fleet thats on average only 5 years old.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 7:03 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
AC's fleet seems newer than any other airline I've flown on... though that's mainly US and UA....
Old Jun 30, 2013, 7:03 am

ACYYZ/SD - hun i'm sleeping with your friends right now (the crazies at WJ, the racoons at PD and EwwwwwA ) I'll come see you later!

OP are you sure your employer is fully dumping AC or just emphasizing that AC will no longer be a preferred carrier (ie. whichever offers the better deal during booking, will get business)?

The former doesnt really make sense to me since prices go up and down amongst the different airlines and their pricing strategies while the latter I can understand.

As for reliability (with the exception of those E75s)..... overall its been good! Overbooking, with confirmed tickets why would this be a matter (unless your colleagues are last minute people at check in). Then again, I prefer releasing seats after a specific deadline like T-45 (similar to clearing standby eupgrades).

I hate to say I feel like a racoon on Porter, stocked up on cookies, chips, nuts and had a glass of wine in Economy Class!

Last edited by global happy traveller; Jun 30, 2013 at 9:26 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.