Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

TD set to take over Aeroplan credit cards unless CIBC matches offer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2013, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle12852318/

"TD to take over Aeroplan credit cards after split with CIBC"

Ron.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 6:06 am

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
Interesting. I wonder what will happen, if anything, to the TD travel rewards card.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 6:10 am

Programs: Altitude 35K, Nexus/GE, Amex Platinum, Priority Pass, CX Marco Polo Gold, Visa Aerogold Infinite
Just heard the announcement on the radio a few minutes ago. I guess all the speculation of CIBC ending its relationship to AE turned out to be true. I hope UA will enter the Canadian market with a MP credit card. If and when it does, I will dump my Aerogold in a nanosecond!
Old Jun 27, 2013, 6:15 am

Interesting, for a time CIBC seemed to be the one whip-sawing Aimia, but now it looks like Aimia has struck back. With the CIBC's matching right, it has put itself into the position of having to match what amounts to a competitors' sweetheart offer sheet, or drop Aeroplan. If it wanted to muscle Aimia to lower the cost of its points, it has had the opposite effect. Aimia's position is well protected now, with the country's second largest bank ready to pay more for the points, and guarantee more points purchases in the aggregate.

Clearly, being Aimia's lead banking partner is a coveted position.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 6:25 am

Programs: AC SE, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Accor Diamond, Hilton Gold
Talking Hmmm...

Interesting that the article says that American Express is also negotiating with Aeroplan.

The Canadian AMEX card really needs some new program partners and better conversion rates, especially if Aeroplan is no longer a partner. Right now the only thing AMEX Membership Rewards points seem useful for is transfer to Avios during promo periods.

I think it would be a tough slog for CIBC without any travel partner. Although the Avion card is a travel-any-time card I know a lot of people that carry and use the card for its conversion to Avios during their promotional periods.

Maybe someone will partner with Alaska Airlines. Although not at all useful for flights within Canada the program is really strong for international travel. For example YVR to CPT (through HKG) is only 140,000 in CX F
Old Jun 27, 2013, 6:25 am

Programs: dDiamond, A50K*G, AA Gold, Fairmont Plat, AMEX Plat, SPG Gold, Avis First
"Negotiations with American Express are proceeding in parallel and are ongoing."

CIBC has the right to match the TD offer as well, not sure if they would be likely to do so...

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1191...mmence-in-2014
Old Jun 27, 2013, 6:39 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles
this is great news. Since I work for TD, maybe I won't have to pay for the fee.. Or 50% since I have to pay 50% for the TD card if I were to apply for one..
Old Jun 27, 2013, 6:43 am

I wish the TD Aeroplan card will be something similar to the Chase UAMP Club Card.

I really see no value to the $499 fee demanded for an Amex Aeroplan Platinum. The CIBC Aerogold Infinite Visa, the supposedly top end premium card also offers very little.

It should come with an A35K tier membership with fasttrack to the A50K.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 6:52 am

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
Not to long ago I had a deal in my CIBC Aventura statement for reduced redemption rates on Porter Airlines flights. Maybe they are going to partner with them. Porter needs a cc deal with someone if they are to grow there business.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 6:59 am

*sigh* i was hoping TD would partner with a less scamdalous partner than AP.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 7:07 am

So TD has offered to pay a premium for a assets that are devaluing by the day.
Today's winner = Aimia.
I would not be surprised to see CIBC match this.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 7:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Diamond, Hyatt Plat, AA Plat, SPG Plat/Lifetime Plat, Amex Plat / PRG, DClub
To be clear...TD has not won the portfolio. CIBC has the option to match terms with deadline of August 9.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 7:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Diamond, Hyatt Plat, AA Plat, SPG Plat/Lifetime Plat, Amex Plat / PRG, DClub
Official announcement by AIMIA (owns Aeroplan):

http://aimia.com/English/Media-Cente...4/default.aspx
Old Jun 27, 2013, 7:59 am

Programs: AC, UA, DL, BA, SPG
I hope TD gets it done, and offers the card for free with the "All-inclusive, everyday banking" chequing account like the TD First Class Travel Visa Infinite Card. In that case TD might get a new customer.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
So TD has offered to pay a premium for a assets that are devaluing by the day.
Today's winner = Aimia.
I would not be surprised to see CIBC match this.
Both TD and AIMIA shares were up yesterday at the close of the market, CIBC was down.

It is not normal for such a public exposure of negotiations in such matters, so obviously AIMIA must think it's in the driver's seat on this deal, though realizing it must up the benefits ante to keep AE attractive to big spenders.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.