FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Distinction, Aeroplan's new member recognition program (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1479850-distinction-aeroplans-new-member-recognition-program.html)

Coolers Jun 27, 2013 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Homerclees (Post 20999419)
I guess I'm lucky that I made all my bookings for this year's trip yesterday!

-1 for reading comprehension

hastuk Jun 27, 2013 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Homerclees (Post 20999419)
I guess I'm lucky that I made all my bookings for this year's trip yesterday!

I was in the midst of organizing a mini RTW yesterday but didn't get far enough along to make the booking. Good for you for getting your trip booked.

canadiancow Jun 27, 2013 9:48 am

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy (Post 20999328)
You are naive. I put about $150-200k per year on my cards.

You're naive if you think that MANY people do that, which was the key word in danapop's comment.

Stranger Jun 27, 2013 9:54 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 20999466)
You're naive if you think that MANY people do that, which was the key word in danapop's comment.

But it's not hard to put $40-60k/year on travel if you are able to charge business travel on a personal card. Plus personal spending. You reach $100k fairly easily if say you have SE status.

JJonahJ Jun 27, 2013 9:55 am

Originally Posted by hastuk (Post 20999451)
I was in the midst of organizing a mini RTW yesterday but didn't get far enough along to make the booking. Good for you for getting your trip booked.

Wait...don't we have until end of this year?

As part of the overall changes to the Aeroplan Program, the following ClassicFlight Business and First Class mileage levels will be increasing as of January 1, 2014.

lowside67 Jun 27, 2013 9:56 am

Originally Posted by lowside67 (Post 20998760)
It's interesting, all those regions are set to increase but the two that are currently the largest, Indian Subcontinent and East/South Africa at 150k points for J are not listed... All those changes listed above would then have those destinations actually cost more points - does this make sense?

Mark

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

I assume if I book a Mini-RTW before Jan 1, 2014 to South Africa I will be charged 150k points as per the norm even if I am travelling in June 2014. The question is if I then change my return flight IN 2014 to be say May 2015, will I have to "top up" the points needed, if they were to change?

Mark

Homerclees Jun 27, 2013 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Coolers (Post 20999438)
-1 for reading comprehension

What a stupid comment.

The site is down and I can't log into redeem flights. It has nothing to do with the changes to the program.

Homerclees Jun 27, 2013 10:01 am

Originally Posted by JJonahJ (Post 20999518)
Wait...don't we have until end of this year?

Yes we do. I just meant that I was glad that I booked my flights yesterday since I haven't been able to log into Aeroplan at all this morning.

canadiancow Jun 27, 2013 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Stranger (Post 20999513)
But it's not hard to put $40-60k/year on travel if you are able to charge business travel on a personal card. Plus personal spending. You reach $100k fairly easily if say you have SE status.

So you're also saying $40k-$60k personal spending.

$60k is more than the average household income.

If I make $60k, there's no way I'm going to be able to spend $60k on a credit card.

Sure, people who can put business expenses on their personal card can probably spend a lot, but I still think that's a very limited number of people. High on this board, but low in general.

MaydayMayday Jun 27, 2013 10:06 am

Aeroplan just reached a new distinction level...dOuchebag

hydrogen Jun 27, 2013 10:10 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 20999550)
So you're also saying $40k-$60k personal spending.

$60k is more than the average household income.

If I make $60k, there's no way I'm going to be able to spend $60k on a credit card.

Sure, people who can put business expenses on their personal card can probably spend a lot, but I still think that's a very limited number of people. High on this board, but low in general.

If you spend 40K, that's 60K AE with a 1.5x AE CC multiplier.
Lob 40K AQM on to that and you are dDiamond.

So it really should be: 1.5 * (CC spend) + AQM

sulfur Jun 27, 2013 10:14 am

This is confusing as heck. Aeroplan site is still down but I assume:
1) Since I get my SE the hard way via AQS, I may not hit dBlack or dDiamond levels?
2) The cancellation of the 7 year expiration is for all *existing* miles in my acount?

alc Jun 27, 2013 10:26 am

Originally Posted by sulfur (Post 20999617)
This is confusing as heck. Aeroplan site is still down but I assume:
1) Since I get my SE the hard way via AQS, I may not hit dBlack or dDiamond levels?
2) The cancellation of the 7 year expiration is for all *existing* miles in my acount?

1) if all 95 of your AQS are those "500 miles" short flights, that means you have 47500 miles already. you are only 2500 away from dBlack, so that should not be that hard to get.

2) Here is the link for the 7-year expiration and it seems that this page is up:

http://distinction.aeroplan.com/en?i...62&#seven-year

and it state "Now miles will not begin expiring on January 1, 2014, as originally announced." So no one are now subject this policy.... only after a lot of people burn all there miles on gift cards.

alc Jun 27, 2013 10:34 am

Air canada getaway bonus

This benefit state "Get up to 1,500 Distinction bonus miles for every eligible roundtrip that includes a Saturday night stay when you fly with Air Canada"

so, for those North America destination that get this bonus, we now need to book round-trip, instead of two 1-way tickets that most of us do. otherwise, how would they know we have a Saturday night stay or not. On the other hand, for those that travel to the same city every week, you can start with a one-day first, then buy round-trip ticket afterward. Then on the last week of your project, that is when you get a one-way ticket home. Will need to see how this benefit work out.

achow Jun 27, 2013 10:34 am

Aeroplan.com is down

I was trying to log in (multiple times) and not successful and finally they said the website is down.

is this the sign to the end of Aeroplan program?