FlyerTalk Forums (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Distinction, Aeroplan's new member recognition program (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1479850-distinction-aeroplans-new-member-recognition-program.html)

bono1 Jun 27, 13 6:55 am

increased award costs Africa & Asia/Pacific as at Jan 1, 2014

Aeroplan has increased their mileage costs... sucks

http://www3.aeroplan.com/whats_new/n...entLanguage=en

Tax Dude Jun 27, 13 6:56 am

Lots to digest on the new Aeroplan/Distinction site. First/Business rewards to Asia/Pacific/Australia have gone up, one-way rewards are now exactly 1/2 of return, and "market fare" rewards replace classic plus and are 20% cheaper. Interesting.

And I already show up as Diamond.

laidback71 Jun 27, 13 7:02 am

Quote:

The cancellation of the seven-year mileage redemption policy, with miles no longer expiring for members active in the program each year.
So they introduce this the year after large blocks of Aeroplan miles will be expiring with the first 7-year expiry date. Nice. Just burned off a bunch of miles at terrible rates to use up expiring points.

Rushfan1 Jun 27, 13 7:03 am

Although I am not one of them, for those who have abandoned or are planning to stop accumulating with Aeroplan, the program will hereafter be known as Extinction. :D

global_happy_traveller Jun 27, 13 7:03 am

great find! time to finish off the miles for good!

samcmontreal Jun 27, 13 7:04 am

New status on Aeroplan "Ddiamond"

Today when I logged i to AE I see "D diamond" in place of where the altitude status used to be.
Does anyone know what this means?

samcmontreal Jun 27, 13 7:06 am

Never mind I just found it - it seems Aeroplan is starting to keep their own status separate from altitude?

Congratulations! You've achieved dDiamond level.

Enjoy dDiamond benefits from January 1 to December 31, 2014 .

VIEW BENEFITS

dDiamond member benefits as of January 1, 2014:

Up to 35% off the number of miles required to redeem for Market Fare Flight Rewards
Access to Distinction Flights
1,500 Distinction bonus miles per eligible roundtrip with Air Canada

alc Jun 27, 13 7:08 am

Quote:

BETTER ONE-WAY CLASSICFLIGHT REWARDS
Today, one-way ClassicFlight rewards require 67% of the miles needed for a roundtrip flight reward. As of January 1, 2014, a one-way trip will require exactly half the number of miles you need to redeem for a roundtrip ClassicFlight reward.
I recall a lot of flyers said about UA one-way only need half of the miles, so Aeroplan is doing the same now.

FreddyBe Jun 27, 13 7:08 am

[... if you get SE status, that alone is 100,000. Plus with 100% bonus, another 100,000. Then paying for these tickets onan amex plat, and with other travel expenses on the card, miles from hotels, cars, bonuses, promotions, it is relatively easy to collect 400,000/year....[/quote]

Not necessarily. Read the fine print.
http://assets.distinction.aeroplan.c...conditions.pdf

Seems quite possible to have 2 different statuses.

An Altitude 100k could conceivably (maybe not likely) not get 100k Distinction, for instance if some of the bonus status miles aren't counted (like the T&Cs say they're not).

More likely, a 100k Distinction won't have Altitude 100k status. My question is -- very specifically - will this do to my travel benefits? Especially the best bonus of being SE, in my opinion: Booking points tiks anytime.

laidback71 Jun 27, 13 7:10 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrPete (Post 20998176)
I would certainly be furious if I had dumped abunch of points this year at a poor redemption value (as I almost did) to prevent them from expiring.

I cleaned out my wife's account earlier this year (got decent value), but just last week made a redemption in my account at terrible value. Not what I would have liked to do, but I have a bunch of miles expiring at December 31 and it would have been worse if I cashed in for gift cards. Oh well.

Clipper801 Jun 27, 13 7:10 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by samcmontreal (Post 20998474)
Never mind I just found it - it seems Aeroplan is starting to keep their own status separate from altitude?

Congratulations! You've achieved dDiamond level.

Enjoy dDiamond benefits from January 1 to December 31, 2014 .

VIEW BENEFITS

dDiamond member benefits as of January 1, 2014:

Up to 35% off the number of miles required to redeem for Market Fare Flight Rewards
Access to Distinction Flights
1,500 Distinction bonus miles per eligible roundtrip with Air Canada

They just raised the no. of points required for redemption effective Jan. 1, 2014.

So they are just letting you to redeem at the current rate rather than a discount from the current rate.

yerffej201 Jun 27, 13 7:18 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rushfan1 (Post 20998462)
Although I am not one of them, for those who have abandoned or are planning to stop accumulating with Aeroplan, the program will hereafter be known as Extinction. :D

LOL, good name.
I like oneways for 50%. That means biz to Europe now is a pretty good deal.

samcmontreal Jun 27, 13 7:19 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clipper801 (Post 20998498)
They just raised the no. of points required for redemption effective Jan. 1, 2014.

So they are just letting you to redeem at the current rate rather than a discount from the current rate.

Will the scam charges stay the same? I have 300k plus I'll get a bonus of 400K from Earn your wings. I think its time to seriously start considering MP to credit future flights.

That and the lack of communication in general and to how this will affect SE IKK makes AE points useless.

:td: Aeroplan

vernonc Jun 27, 13 7:23 am

The credit card customer is becoming or has become more important than the flying customer?
'Recognizing that more than half of Aeroplan Miles accumulated in 2012 were earned through financial card spend'

jaysona Jun 27, 13 7:23 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rushfan1 (Post 20998462)

^^

Speaking of extinction, I am getting more and more nervous that my collection of aeropesos are going the way of the dodo. What's a good way to use up 2.5m points? I don't forsee using them for trips anytime soon, I usually end up giving away about 250k for friends to travel each year, but that doesn't even begin to put a dent in the account. :(

Donation to charity perhaps? Although I am a very frequent traveler, I am still a relative noob when it comes to strategic use of aeropeso's :confused: