Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Update: UA undersells AC for Star Alliance MegaDo 5 charter

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2013, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Just a heads up for those who might be interested. SMD5 will be taking place Oct 23-25, 2013 and will involve chartering an AC A321 from YYZ-TUS-SFO (hence why I'm posting it here).

More here: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/...-thread.62022/
Old May 11, 2013, 7:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Not sure I could justify flying from SFO to YYZ and taking that much time off work, only to fly right back, but it's an interesting opportunity.
Old May 11, 2013, 9:34 pm

MommyPoints blog excerpt
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/mommyp...iott-and-more/

Where? North of the border to the desert to the sea (aka Toronto, Tucson, and San Francisco)

When? October 22nd-25th

International portion? No, not this year as we’re doing the MD80 MegaDO in Scandinavia just a month before SMD5

Partners: Air Canada, Marriott, Rimowa, Star Alliance, and United

Highlights: First ever MegaDo charter on Air Canada, a new hotel partner with Marriott, the longest MegaDo flight ever at 1800 miles, and a AMARC inside tour.

Schedule (which I am sure is subject to change):

10/22 (Tuesday) arrive in Toronto, no program

Registration open from 6-7PM at the host hotel (Ritz Carlton Toronto or Toronto Marriott Downtown)

10/23 (Wednesday) Toronto

Breakfast at the host hotel, registration opens at 8AM

9:30 Buses to Rimowa’s factory, tours, and BBQ

Return back to the hotel at 4PM

Welcome reception hosted by Marriott
10/24 (Thursday)

Breakfast then buses to YYZ for a day with Air Canada. Return to the hotel at 4-5PM

Reception hosted at hotel by Air Canada

10/25 (Friday)

7:30 Buses to YYZ, charter departs at 0930. Arrival TUS at 1115AM. Buses to the AF base, return to TUS at 230, departure at 3PM, Arrival at SFO at 530PM

Hangar party hosted by United Airlines from 6-830PM, buses to designated hotel downtown San Francisco.
Old May 11, 2013, 9:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Also under discussion on FT here as well.
Old May 11, 2013, 10:04 pm
ESC

Programs: AC S100K
Is anyone out there (besides me) thinking of going? Any experiences to share re: previous SMD's?
Old May 11, 2013, 11:32 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I was on SMD1 & SMD2.

#1 was special because it was #1. But the program was such that I don't think it could ever be repeated. We flew from JFK to FRA then FRA to anywhere in North America for about $1600 on a C fare. In Europe we flew (in one day) FRA-OSL-TLS-FRA. SAS did an absolutely incredible job taking care of us in OSL and the tour of the Airbus factory in TLS was neat, though in the end it was certainly not the highlight. In FRA, LH outdid SAS by hosting us at the corp headquarters and letting us into the massive LH Technik hangar. I tell you, there's nothing like seeing three 747 parked nose to tail as they're being serviced, then being allowed to climb through the entire cabin from the crew rest facility to Y to J to F to the cockpit.

SMD2 was fun but in some ways not as good as SMD1. We did get some good face time with Doug Parker from US Air. And the chance to literally kick the tires of airplanes in hangars is obviously of great interest to this group. The tour of Boeing was incredible though. We were the first public group on the 787 and we were allowed into the belly of the beast as well - the oh so fascinating Dreamlifter where we were hosted by the chief Dreamlifter pilot. The plant tour was cool too; it was neat seeing 767 & 747 rolling off the line.

The thing with SMDs is that we get to see a side of flying that people generally don't get to see. Obviously this is a key point for FTers. For example, seeing the operations centre of an airline is pretty cool. We've all flown so much that so many aspects seem routine, yet we know that sh!t happens and it's puzzling why it happens as much as it does. Seeing the operations centre give you some insight into all this and you get direct access to the guys & gals who's job it is to make sure certain things happen at certain times. So if you have a question, you definitely have the chance to ask the right person.

For many of us based here in YYZ, this will undoubtedly be one of the cheapest SMDs since hotels won't be necessary until the end when we get to SFO. So if you haven't been, this is a good chance to sample what SMD is all about.
Old May 12, 2013, 5:45 am

there is a rimowa factory in toronto?

oooo any outlet places to buy them in cheap?
Old May 12, 2013, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
there is a rimowa factory in toronto?

oooo any outlet places to buy them in cheap?
The factory is in Guelph.
Old May 12, 2013, 6:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
SMD3 was fun because Air Canada hosted a reception in YUL. A lot of Execs, incl AC Top Tier (before it was TT) were there. They gave model AC planes as part of the departing swag, which was amazing. It was nice to show our US brethren how much nicer the MLL is compared to United Club (RCC back then).

It pretty fun given that you are on a plane full of travel enthusiasts. Unlike most flights, lots of milling around and meeting new people.
Old May 12, 2013, 8:00 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
I'm definitely interested in going, didn't know the Rimowa factory was located just down the way from me!

Anyone have any idea what the prices would be like for YYZ based FTers?

I know the website says they're still working on all in prices (which I would assume hotel in Toronto which I wouldn't need)
Old May 12, 2013, 8:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kwflyer
I'm definitely interested in going, didn't know the Rimowa factory was located just down the way from me!

Anyone have any idea what the prices would be like for YYZ based FTers?

I know the website says they're still working on all in prices (which I would assume hotel in Toronto which I wouldn't need)
Often there are membership incentives for those who use the official hotel sponsor. At SMD3, it was Hyatt and those who stayed at all three Hyatt hotels received Diamond status for 18 months, including free suite certificates. Marriott, which won big at the Freddies will be the hotel sponsor this time around with Marriott and Ritz Carlton as offerings.

Technically, Rimowa manufacturing is located in Cambridge and I expect that SMD5 attendees may get a deal on a special edition Rimowa luggage if they are inclined to purchase.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 4:33 pm

Even Star MegaDO is moving away from AC!!!

Just got this in my email

The SMD5 crew decided to move from an Air Canada charter to a United Airlines charter ... not because we were not looking forward to a nice ride with Air Canada, but because United enticed us with a lower charter cost and that means some lower costs for your consideration to fly along on the ultimate field trip for frequent flyers.
Wow! AC is scaring away the aviation geeks with pricing too!
Old Jul 11, 2013, 4:39 pm

Hahahahahahaha!!!

And they won't have to deal with Tango fares!
Old Jul 11, 2013, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
Just got this in my email

Wow! AC is scaring away the aviation geeks with pricing too!
Best summary I can give is this: AC doesn't have ANY spare aircraft, and especially not 321s. They generally run on very profitable transcon and rapidair routes. So they quoted a price that they would be willing to pull a plane from the schedule for, which is completely reasonable. Subsequently, UA offered a really good price, which they are more able to do given their capacity.

There are no hard feeling towards AC for their pricing, nor are there hard feelings by AC towards SMD for changing airlines. AC will still be hosting us at YYZ for a day of aviation geekiness and throwing a big party for everyone as well. They will also still be offering miles for the trip and any associated status bonus.

I'm saddened that I don't get to show off an AC plane and crew, but things aren't (always) all about me.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by rehoult
Best summary I can give is this: AC doesn't have ANY spare aircraft, and especially not 321s. They generally run on very profitable transcon and rapidair routes. So they quoted a price that they would be willing to pull a plane from the schedule for, which is completely reasonable. Subsequently, UA offered a really good price, which they are more able to do given their capacity.

There are no hard feeling towards AC for their pricing, nor are there hard feelings by AC towards SMD for changing airlines. AC will still be hosting us at YYZ for a day of aviation geekiness and throwing a big party for everyone as well. They will also still be offering miles for the trip and any associated status bonus.

I'm saddened that I don't get to show off an AC plane and crew, but things aren't (always) all about me.
guess my humor didnt sink it as planned.......... not surprised they are tight in equipment..... business been doing quite good thus far......... EwwwNited on the other hand

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.