9 h layover in YYZ arriving from the US and then departing international

Subscribe
I will have a 9 h layover in May between my flights in YYZ (coming from the US and departing to Germany) and intend to visit downtown Toronto or get a few hours sleep at an airport hotel.

Question:

- I need a visa to enter Canada, but my baggage will be in transit to Europe, right?

Which line do I have to follow to obtain the visa for Canada and do I need to pick up my checked baggage and drop it off after immigration?

How can I locate my baggage when I request a visa and have the baggage in transit at the same time? (AC to LH)

(Sorry for asking, but transiting in YYZ sounds a little strange to me)

Visa
Do you even need a visa?
9 h layover in YYZ arriving from the US and then departing international
Can you clarify your nationality? Most visas issued by Canada are required prior to arrival.

Typical intl to intl connection in YYZ has baggage tagged through to final destination. You head towards the customs area but then take a quick left, go through a CBSA documents check and go back on the international departures side.

You can have your baggage short tagged to YYZ, in which case you claim it prior to leaving the main customs area and entering Canada. Then you would need to recheck your bag.
If your nationality is German, or you are on a EU passport, you do not need a visa.
What country is your passport issued by?

You luggage should be checked through all the way to Germany, with no need to
reclaim it even if you do exit the airport. Just pass through Canadian immigration
and customs without even mentioning your luggage.
Also, if you're travelling with AC on a J ticket, then they you get a free hotel through their stopover program:
http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...ver/index.html
I would NOT pick up your luggage and recheck.
Air Canada will only recheck in your bags for your ongoing flight max 4 hours before...you will be stuck with your bags for 5 hours!
I have had this happen to me twice, once on seperate tickets where they would not through check, and once on arrival in Canada with a long connection of 10 hours when they would not through check. Had to pick up my bags and WAIT for recheck!
If you want to maximize sleep time, there is a Sheraton hotel at Terminal 3 (AC/LH are at terminal 1). Normally there is a train between terminals but I believe it is closed right now so you'd have to go on a shuttle bus. The Westin Bristol Place is also quite nice but requires a hotel shuttle ride.

If you want to stay awake, you might also consider renting a car and driving to Niagara Falls if you have not been there. It is only about 1-1/4 hours from the airport. If you enjoy wine, there are also some decent wineries in the Niagara area (along with some awful ones).
Quote: If your nationality is German, or you are on a EU passport, you do not need a visa.
What country is your passport issued by?
Not every EU country is exempt from visas to Canada.
Thanks a lot for all the helpful replies.

I'm German and my passport is issued in Germany as well. I'll be traveling on an AC ticket, but the last leg to DUS is a codeshare; AC flight number and performed by LH.

I would prefer NOT to pick my baggage up and instead have it checked through to my final destination without having to deal with it in between my flights, but I found the info on the AC website about transiting in YYZ a little confusing and it didn't offer any information about being in transit AND leaving the airport for a short visit to downtown/a hotel (Sheraton is a great suggestion)
Quote: Thanks a lot for all the helpful replies.

I'm German and my passport is issued in Germany as well. I'll be traveling on an AC ticket, but the last leg to DUS is a codeshare; AC flight number and performed by LH.

I would prefer NOT to pick my baggage up and instead have it checked through to my final destination without having to deal with it in between my flights, but I found the info on the AC website about transiting in YYZ a little confusing and it didn't offer any information about being in transit AND leaving the airport for a short visit to downtown/a hotel (Sheraton is a great suggestion)
Okay. Have your bags checked all the way through to DUS. That way, they will be transferred through YYZ for you with nothing to do.

If you want to go downtown or to a hotel, follow the signs from your flight to Customs and Immigration. You are entering Canada rather than transiting so do not follow the connections signs. Once you have cleared immigration, you will find your transport options outside.

To the City you can take the TTC bus to Kipling station then the Bloor subway to St George and University line to Union ($3 cash and 1.5 hours each way). Alternatively, the Airport Express bus runs half-hourly and will cost about $35 return. It gets you downtown in about 40 minutes.

Once back at the airport, just follow the signs to international departures. There is no immigration check, you just clear security and find your gate.
Great!

I'll follow your advise. Thanks a lot for helping me. ^