Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
General WiFi Tidbits
  • WiFi is managed by "WiFi Onboard", formerly known as "Gogo"
  • If you have a pass from WiFi OnBoard for their entire fleet that will generally work
  • You can redeem Aeroplan points for various packages ranging from one hour to the entire flight and at different speeds
  • Only one device at a time can use the plan. Once you log in with another device with your WiFi Onboard or Aeroplan account the other device will drop
  • Rouge J customers are now getting a one-time WiFi Onboard code for free WiFi on the flight instead of getting an iPad

Detailed WiFi roll-out info compiled by FTers:

Planes with WiFi (confirmed by FTers):
  • GoGo 2Ku satellite-based system (fast, large coverage area, including over water - coverage map):
    • 319 (rouge)
    • 320 (rouge)
    • 321 (rouge)
    • 333 (except 946 and 948)
    • 789 (except 860)
    • 77L
    • 77W
  • Gogo ATG system (old, slow, only works over land in North America, and not very far north - coverage map)
    • CR9: 701-721, 780-784 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
    • E75
    • 319 (mainline)
    • 320 (mainline)
    • 321 (mainline)

Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • CR9: 722-730 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
  • 7M8: all (AC had an embarrassing escapade with a Thales system that was completely inadequate. As of March 2023, they appear to have given up on this system. What they plan to replace it with is uncertain)
  • 789: 860
  • 333: 946, 948

Planes with no plans to install WiFi:
  • DH4s
  • CRJs

Air Canada Status WiFi Benefit
  • The benefit lasts for 12 months from the date of activation, which is the first date you sign into Gogo on an AC flight using your Aeroplan account. Date of benefit selection is irrelevant. It must be activated by the end of the calendar year.
  • Benefit currently works on all aircraft with WiFi, except possibly rouge. Some rouge aircraft have reported having access to the Aeroplan sign in which was required for the Aeroplan benefit to work. It's unknown whether the benefit will be extended to those fleets in the future.
  • The benefit says you can have up to 5 users but that is five unique devices in a one month period and not simultaneous usage. You will need to log off one device to use another device on the same flight. GoGo will apparently block if it sees too many devices in a one month period to avoid credential sharing.
  • There are huge problems with the Aeroplan login for this benefit. There is a high likelihood that you will need to attempt to log in numerous times for it to work, and it may not work at all. Chatting with WiFi Onboard support should get you a one-time code for free WiFi for the flight.
Print Wikipost

On-Board WIFI (2013-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:53 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Notice the Rouge A319s sporting the rather large fuselage WiFi bumps at YYZ. Are they getting the roll out before mainline?
Old Apr 30, 2017, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by skipness1E
Notice the Rouge A319s sporting the rather large fuselage WiFi bumps at YYZ. Are they getting the roll out before mainline?
Yes. They are setup for GoGo's 2Ku service, which is significantly faster than the ATG-4 on mainline narrowbodies.
Old May 14, 2017, 8:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
News Releases

Air Canada To Offer High-Speed Internet on Air Canada Rouge

New satellite service on A319s is fastest available on a Canadian carrier

MONTREAL, May 12, 2017 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada announced today that its leisure airline, Air Canada Rouge, has begun offering high-speed, satellite internet aboard its Airbus A319 aircraft. Air Canada Rouge customers will now have access to the fastest internet service on a Canadian airline, giving them the ability to email, stream video and music, surf the web and more while flying.

"Air Canada was the first Canadian carrier to offer customers in-flight connectivity and today, we are pleased to extend this service on Air Canada Rouge. High-speed internet is another great on-board entertainment option for our customers and strengthens Air Canada Rouge's promise to provide a wonderful beginning and ending to any vacation," said Benjamin Smith, President, Passenger Airlines at Air Canada.

Air Canada has been the leader among Canadian carriers in offering its customers in-flight connectivity, beginning with Gogo ground-based service throughout North America. Roll out of Gogo's new 2KU service on all 20 Air Canada Rouge narrow-body A319s will be completed this month. To coincide with the launch, on these aircraft, Air Canada Rouge is also updating its wireless In-Flight Entertainment experience to the next generation of gate to gate, on-demand entertainment and information.

Air Canada plans to complete installation of satellite internet service on all Air Canada Rouge A321 and Boeing 767-300ER aircraft by the end of 2018. Pricing packages will be available so customers can choose a level of service that suits their individual needs.

About Air Canada

Air Canada is Canada's largest domestic and international airline serving more than 200 airports on six continents. Canada's flag carrier is among the 20 largest airlines in the world and in 2016 served close to 45 million customers. Air Canada provides scheduled passenger service directly to 63 airports in Canada, 57 in the United States and 93 in Europe, the Middle East, Africa, Asia, Australia, the Caribbean, Mexico, Central America and South America. Air Canada is a founding member of Star Alliance, the world's most comprehensive air transportation network serving 1,300 airports in 190 countries. Air Canada is the only international network carrier in North America to receive a Four-Star ranking according to independent U.K. research firm Skytrax. For more information, please visit: www.aircanada.com, follow @aircanada on Twitter and join Air Canada on Facebook.

About Air Canada Rouge

As Air Canada's leisure airline, Air Canada Rouge has a fleet of 48 aircraft, offering customers a global network of over 100 routes on five continents. With over 1,600 employees, Air Canada Rouge's purpose is to create wonderful beginnings and endings to customer's vacations, every day, on every flight. For more information, please visit: www.flyrouge.com.

SOURCE Air Canada

http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1136
Old May 14, 2017, 8:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
SOURCE http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28202725-post725.html

I find it hilarious their press release was well after their own app showed it.
Old May 14, 2017, 8:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by canadiancow
SOURCE http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28202725-post725.html

I find it hilarious their press release was well after their own app showed it.
Hilarious.
Old May 14, 2017, 8:53 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Wait. Does this mean Rouge will have better internet than ML?

IIRC, gogo says no streaming et al on log in.
Old May 14, 2017, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer

Considering no ML international flights offer internet, I would say yes even leaving aside the faster speed of 2Ku.
Old May 14, 2017, 9:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer

It means the rouge 319 will have "better" wifi than any current mainline narrow body, yes.
Old May 16, 2017, 10:38 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
On 1898 today, a 319, the internet worked very well and, they were offering one hour for free.
Old May 26, 2017, 8:31 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
So quick update, the widebody fleet is now scheduled for the broadband 2Ku connection starting this fall and going into 2018.
Old May 27, 2017, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
So quick update, the widebody fleet is now scheduled for the broadband 2Ku connection starting this fall and going into 2018.
Im holding my breath.

Wake me up when I start to go blue.
Old May 31, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: AC 100k, Star Alliance Gold, Fairmont Platinum, Westjet Gold, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Air Canada Gogo Wifi Pass

With the introduction (at least I believe it's relatively new) and the introduction of wifi to Rouge flights, the $63.95 unlimited wifi on AC flights from Gogo now makes sense for me. The only question I have is whether it will apply to Rouge flights as well, seeing as AC considers Rouge a seperate airline when it's convenient to them.

Has anyone verified?
Old May 31, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by luckylager
With the introduction (at least I believe it's relatively new) and the introduction of wifi to Rouge flights, the $63.95 unlimited wifi on AC flights from Gogo now makes sense for me. The only question I have is whether it will apply to Rouge flights as well, seeing as AC considers Rouge a seperate airline when it's convenient to them.

Has anyone verified?
My monthly pass worked just fine on 2 Rouge flights last week.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
What's the difference between CRJs and CRAs? I know for a fact that I have had WiFi on a CRJ 200 before when their website contradicts this...
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: WestJet Gold; E35K/*Silver
Originally Posted by OSSYULYYZ
What's the difference between CRJs and CRAs? I know for a fact that I have had WiFi on a CRJ 200 before when their website contradicts this...
The CRJ carries 50 pax at 0.74 mach. The CRA carries 76 pax at 0.78 mach.
The CRA has 9/12 J seats. The CRJ has 0.

The CRJ doesn't have wifi and I'd be very surprised if they retrofitted them. You must have been on a CRA and mixed them up.

Last edited by moorw003; Jun 6, 2017 at 12:51 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.