Will Air Canada buy the C Series ?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2013, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Will Air Canada buy the C Series ?

First test aircraft to fly in June

http://business.financialpost.com/20...hat-seats-160/

Air Canada CEO has vowed to not be lead customer on new aircraft given the 787 saga.

If C series lives up to the Bombardier claims, this aircraft could fit in the fleet as a replacement for the narrow bodied airbus 319-320.

Perhaps Bombardier would give AC a good price....and the government would help with financing.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 6:28 am

Programs: dDiamond, A50K*G, AA Gold, Fairmont Plat, AMEX Plat, SPG Gold, Avis First
There was an article right next to that story in the paper that basically suggested you won't see any C-series flying in Canada. AC's single aisle E75/E90s are relatively new still and they are fairly entrenched with their current fleet (spare parts, mechanical training etc). Their CFO acknowledged the fact that there are greater fuel efficiencies but it didn't seem likely.

Westjet is comfortable with the simplicity of their offering (Boeing 737) and charter airlines would probably find it too expensive.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 6:40 am

The average age of the A319 is about 14 years old whereas the A320 has an average age of about 19 years. AC definitely needs to start looking for a replacement of its A320. The A321 is relatively younge at about 10 years. Besides many of the XM planes are showing moderate to severe wear and tear.

The A320neo will probably be a better choice replacement candidate and it will likely share a lot of commonality such as simpler crew training and parts working along with the existing A319, A320 and A321.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Where have you guys been?

First, it appears that the E75 is moving to the Regionals. Apparently there are issues with the E90. Whether economics or reliability is unclear. Furthermore, the rumor is that the 319s are going to Rouge. Some 320s (the Mulroney ones) are getting longth in the tooth. The 321 is here to stay because it fits very nicely routes previously operated by domestic 762, such as YYZ-YYC.

There have been reports actually whereby AC is on the market for a large number of single aisle. Now I could see that they won't buy the CSeries until the plane flies commercially and there is some track record. But I would bet that they are talking to BBD, and that they are still eager to be enough of an early buyer to secure a good deal. The news even mentioned that AC was talking to all three manufacturers.

The plane would fit very well in their fleet. More efficient overall that either the Embraer or the reengined 320 or 737. Designed for longer routes than the E-series and better suited to cold weather operation. Also the 2-3 cabin is superior to the 3-3 of both the 320 and the 737. More advanced technology on all fronts.

Bottom line, it would be very hard for AC not to buy a Canadian plane that does it all for them.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 8:26 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
As a Canadian and a share holder of Bombardier, I hope they do! I hope the new plane has the makings of the AVROW and a better future. We have talent in this country, lets make it work.^
Old Mar 8, 2013, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LH/Swiss interested in the larger version

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...-cs300-383185/
Old Mar 8, 2013, 10:59 am

Programs: BA Exec Silver, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by Stranger
Apparently there are issues with the E90. Whether economics or reliability is unclear.
Can anyone shed light on this? I really like the E75 and E90. Never had any problems with them.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 11:37 am

The C-series really isn't an A321 replacement, and that's what AC really needs at this point -- more A321s (or most likely, the next-gen successor). The 319 fleet is good for another 12-15 years.

So yeah, most likely no room for the C-series for at least the next decade. A320s that leave the fleet likely to be replaced with new-build A321's, but other than that...
Old Mar 8, 2013, 11:54 am

Programs: AC*SE,MM
One of the absurdities of modern life: the Canadian government can provide subsidized financing (via EDC) to Bombardier for aircraft sales to every airline they sell to ... as long as it's for export, ie excepting domestic carriers!

(There was an exception made during the credit crisis in 2009, and EDC was able to help Air Canada then. Not sure where that sits now.)

This isn't really about the merits of the CSeries at this point. It would seriously be helpful to Bombardier if they could somehow land a big order from a US major. IMHO AC can't be the lead order on the type in North America, there needs to be a significant population of aircraft here to keep maintenance/servicing costs in line.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by ensco
One of the absurdities of modern life: the Canadian government can provide subsidized financing (via EDC) to Bombardier for aircraft sales to every airline they sell to ... as long as it's for export, ie excepting domestic carriers!
Yeah no kidding, so EDC will gladly finance/subsidize, for instance, an AA purchase of C-Series to fly on YYZ-LAX or YYZ-DFW, but if AC wants to purchase the same aircraft to operate in competition with AA, no subsidy.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pitz
The C-series really isn't an A321 replacement, and that's what AC really needs at this point -- more A321s (or most likely, the next-gen successor). The 319 fleet is good for another 12-15 years.

So yeah, most likely no room for the C-series for at least the next decade. A320s that leave the fleet likely to be replaced with new-build A321's, but other than that...
Not convinced about that. I would think AC has all the 321s they need.

What one hears is that the E90s are going away, the 319s go to Rouge and at least some 320s will eventually need replacement. The CSeries in both variants is well suited to AC's network.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 5:03 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)

What one hears is that the E90s are going away, the 319s go to Rouge and at least some 320s will eventually need replacement. The CSeries in both variants is well suited to AC's network.
Too bad about the E90s - I really like those aircraft. However, what I have seen of the C-series looks pretty impressive. I would fly on that bird!
Old Mar 9, 2013, 5:36 pm

All of the YVR/YYC/YEG flights that use 320 right now could be operated easily with slightly reduced frequency and lower trip cost with the 321. Even LAX and SFO could use the 321, if not for the range problem which will be rectified with the next generation.

If AC could magically swap 320's for 321's in the fleet, they would right now. But the 321 is such a hot commodity that the lease rates are prohibitive compared to keeping the existing 320s in the air.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 9:21 am

The 321 is here to stay because it fits very nicely routes previously operated by domestic 762, such as YYZ-YYC.

A321 and A330 have a similar place in the AC fleet -they are each in small numbers but are such strong performing aircraft that AC does not want to get rid of them for a more simplistic fleet.

But I would bet that they are talking to BBD, and that they are still eager to be enough of an early buyer to secure a good deal. The news even mentioned that AC was talking to all three manufacturers.

Of course AC is talking to all 3 manf. - They will tell each of them how the other has offered better price!

Last edited by CloudsBelow; Mar 10, 2013 at 9:27 am
Old Mar 10, 2013, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by pitz
All of the YVR/YYC/YEG flights that use 320 right now could be operated easily with slightly reduced frequency and lower trip cost with the 321. Even LAX and SFO could use the 321, if not for the range problem which will be rectified with the next generation.
Trip costs of A321 are higher than Trip costs of A320
A321 has no issues to on YYZLAX or YYZSFO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.