FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Which card has better travel insurance: Aerogold Visa or Amex Gold? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1445007-card-has-better-travel-insurance-aerogold-visa-amex-gold.html)

pokee Mar 5, 2013 12:52 pm

Which card has better travel insurance: Aerogold Visa or Amex Gold?

I know there's been other threads that have touched on this topic before when asking about travel insurance for Aeroplan redemptions on CIBC Aerogold/Infinite Visa. I was really hoping to have a direct insurance comparison to Amex here, since I think it's the next best card for insurance (or better).

I have both cards, and I am always at a loss to know which card to use for travel. Of course, if I book flights using Aeroplan points, I figure it's safer to use the Aerogold Visa, since it's stipulated in writing that insurance covers Aeroplan redemption, but I am going to be cancelling the card soon. I am hoping that my Amex will be fine. So far, this is what I know off the top of my head - hopefully I am remembering correctly!:

Baggage: Amex is better (covers more than the $500 that CIBC Aerogold does)?
Car rental: Both are good (no deductibles) - but I've heard Amex is quicker for claims and can be billed directly within a certain time frame. Also - Amex covers anything that is stolen from your car, correct?
Air Travel: Aerogold Visa is better if redeeming Aeroplans; Amex is better if MR redemption; What about cash purchases?
Hotel: Amex covers you if anything is stolen from your room.

Another note outside the insurance discussion - Points Earning: Amex gives you 2x the MRs for travel purchases - even if out of country. CIBC does not give bonus points for travel (unless CIBC partner) or any bonus points outside of Canada.

Would love it if anyone could add to this/correct this - thanks in advance!

yeg2where Mar 5, 2013 1:24 pm

Continuing your off topic point, CIBC gives 1.5x grocery multiplier in Australia

pokee Mar 5, 2013 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by yeg2where (Post 20365676)
Continuing your off topic point, CIBC gives 1.5x grocery multiplier in Australia

Ah - that's interesting!

uni3052 Mar 5, 2013 2:07 pm

Which card has better travel insurance: Aerogold Visa or Amex Gold?

I recently booked a reward flight and charged it to my Amex. Later I learned about insurance and rewards flights. I called Amex and they told me my booking is covered. I called again to double check and got the sane answer. So I guess mI am indeed covered. I really like Amex product. Never had a problem when claiming insurance .

markandrew Mar 5, 2013 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by uni3052 (Post 20365932)
I recently booked a reward flight and charged it to my Amex. Later I learned about insurance and rewards flights. I called Amex and they told me my booking is covered. I called again to double check and got the sane answer. So I guess mI am indeed covered. I really like Amex product. Never had a problem when claiming insurance .

Which Amex product ?

CloudsBelow Mar 5, 2013 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by pokee (Post 20365448)
Car rental: Both are good (no deductibles) - but I've heard Amex is quicker for claims and can be billed directly within a certain time frame. Also - Amex covers anything that is stolen from your car, correct?

More importantly, I believe Visa coverage on rental is PRIMARY (i.e., before your personal insurance). That's a major benefit over Amex if I understand correctly.

Assume my windshield is cracked while driving rental. Am I correct in assuming my personal insurance would never know a thing if charged to Aero Visa, but Amex would simply cover the deductible of my personal insurance if charged to AMex.

This is a very big deal if true and why I always charge cars to Aero Visa

pokee Mar 5, 2013 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow (Post 20367024)
More importantly, I believe Visa coverage on rental is PRIMARY (i.e., before your personal insurance). That's a major benefit over Amex if I understand correctly.

Assume my windshield is cracked while driving rental. Am I correct in assuming my personal insurance would never know a thing if charged to Aero Visa, but Amex would simply cover the deductible of my personal insurance if charged to AMex.

This is a very big deal if true and why I always charge cars to Aero Visa

Really? My understanding was that Amex covers everything, as well. What if you don't have personal insurance? Then what happens?

Braindrain Mar 5, 2013 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by uni3052 (Post 20365932)

When I asked Amex to point out in the cardholder agreement where it says I'm covered for reward flights, they couldn't. The language seems to be more MR related than other programs that are affiliated with their card.

Bottom line, you're covered on reward flights for sure when using Aerogold. You could be covered (or not) when using Amex and the separate insurance agency isn't going to rely on a conversation with a Amex phone rep.

CloudsBelow Mar 5, 2013 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by pokee (Post 20367058)
Really? My understanding was that Amex covers everything, as well. What if you don't have personal insurance? Then what happens?

Don't know as I've always had car insurance. Would assume /amex is 2nd insurance except when you don't have primary - like their lost/stolen goods protection

beep88 Mar 5, 2013 8:51 pm

- I can find no wording that says CANADIAN AMEX car insurance is secondary. For US-issued cards, the basic coverage is secondary and they have optional primary insurance at additional cost.

- With Visa (most if not all Canadian Visa cards, including Aerogold) coverage, drivers authorized by the renter are also covered for LDW/CDW, even though such drivers are not authorized by the rental company (for example you did not pay additional driver's fee). These drivers must of course have their own 3rd party liability insurance in order to drive the rental car legally.

jarusoba Mar 5, 2013 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by beep88 (Post 20368212)
- I can find no wording that says CANADIAN AMEX car insurance is secondary. For US-issued cards, the basic coverage is secondary and they have optional primary insurance at additional cost.

When I made any car insurance claim through AX, they're always Primary, because at no time I was asked about my other insurance information.

zoobtoob Mar 5, 2013 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Braindrain (Post 20367180)
Bottom line, you're covered on reward flights for sure when using Aerogold. You could be covered (or not) when using Amex

First hand experience:
I made a claim for delayed baggage through my Amex.
AP reward, taxes and fees paid on Amex.
My claim was denied.

pokee Mar 5, 2013 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by zoobtoob (Post 20368553)
First hand experience:
I made a claim for delayed baggage through my Amex.
AP reward, taxes and fees paid on Amex.
My claim was denied.

And since there's nothing in writing to state that the coverage exists for AP rewards, there is no recourse with a denied claim. Which means everyone should be using their Aerogold Visa when making any aeroplan bookings...

Dang...I am never gonna get rid of that card, am I?!

pokee Mar 5, 2013 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by beep88 (Post 20368212)

- With Visa (most if not all Canadian Visa cards, including Aerogold) coverage, drivers authorized by the renter are also covered for LDW/CDW, even though such drivers are not authorized by the rental company (for example you did not pay additional driver's fee). These drivers must of course have their own 3rd party liability insurance in order to drive the rental car legally.

This could get complicated, because a lot of rental car companies (and the state of California) allow spouses to legally drive the vehicle for free even if they are not the renter, just as long as they are named on the rental agreement. Isn't it just the renter that needs to have the 3rd party coverage? Or is it the driver (if it happens to be the spouse driving at the time of the accident)?

HerpaYvr Mar 5, 2013 11:04 pm

Now I know why in Saudi Arabia women cant drive...always a valid reason :D