Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Which card has better travel insurance: Aerogold Visa or Amex Gold?

Which card has better travel insurance: Aerogold Visa or Amex Gold?

Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:27 pm

Programs: Non-status bottomfeeder
Originally Posted by pokee
And since there's nothing in writing to state that the coverage exists for AP rewards, there is no recourse with a denied claim. Which means everyone should be using their Aerogold Visa when making any aeroplan bookings...

Dang...I am never gonna get rid of that card, am I?!
You can.

...if you want to pony up and pay for Aeroplan's trip insurance through Blue Cross for every trip.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 4:36 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta, Starwood, Fairmount
I made a trip interruption claim on a reward ticket from Aeroplan Visa - received a cheque for the full amount ($1,350) eight days after submitting claim.

Great service!!!!
Old Mar 6, 2013, 5:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan
RE: CIBC Aerogold Infinite card interruption on reward ticket info -- says you need to submit---

"Your original booking invoice/itinerary from your travel agent showing
all portions of your pre-paid trip cost and confirming that 75% of your
trip cost was paid using your card or if 75% of your trip cost was paid
through the redemption of points from the card travel reward program"

Amex gold gives you double points for travel so it looks like if you are only booking an Aeroplan redemption then you are best to go with your CIBC card (Amex doesn't give double points for Aeroplan - at least I have had no luck asking for it)
Old Mar 6, 2013, 8:19 am

Programs: AC, UA, DL, BA, SPG
Originally Posted by ciana
Amex doesn't give double points for Aeroplan - at least I have had no luck asking for it
I booked two AP reward tickets 2 weeks ago with my AMEX Gold, got double points and is coded as "AIR CANADA VANCOUVER CN" in my points statement.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:16 am

As much as I dislike Aero Visa (not sure why I do?) it really is an impressive card. I want to cancel so bad but their insurance, points/$, Visa's acceptability can't be touched.

I pay $700/yr for an Amex and am eager to drop the Visa but can't pull the trigger.

My delayed flight insurance experience with AeroVisa on a redemption ticket was superior to a purchased flight on my plat Amex.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by zoobtoob
First hand experience:
I made a claim for delayed baggage through my Amex.
AP reward, taxes and fees paid on Amex.
My claim was denied.
As helpful as first-hand experiences are, Perhaps you could share what type of Amex you paid with??

I'm assuming it was not an AeroAmex?
Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by beep88
- I can find no wording that says CANADIAN AMEX car insurance is secondary.
Does it say the 90 day protection is secondary?
When I made a claim on my Plat Amex, I had to sign forms ensuring I had no personal/home insurance that could be used to cover the loss
Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:27 am

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
My only but serious issue with Aerogold is that it involves dealing with CIBC. Shudder.

Have always had double points on ticket redemptions, charged to AC, now the service fee if you paid one may be different as that would be charged by AP.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:31 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Does it say the 90 day protection is secondary?
When I made a claim on my Plat Amex, I had to sign forms ensuring I had no personal/home insurance that could be used to cover the loss
We were talking about rental car CDW/LWD. That's not secondary.

For Purchase Protection (90 days) and Buyer's Assurance (extended warranty), yes

"The insurance provided under this Policy is supplementary. This Policy is not a substitute for Other Insurance which also insures against direct physical damage or theft to the Insured Item"

"The insurance provided under this Certificate is supplementary. This Certificate is not a substitute for Other Insurance which also insures gainst direct physical damage, malfunction or defect."
Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:33 am

Really? My understanding was that Amex covers everything, as well. What if you don't have personal insurance? Then what happens?
If you don't have personal insurance, any Amex secondary coverage becomes primary.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:54 am

This could get complicated, because a lot of rental car companies (and the state of California) allow spouses to legally drive the vehicle for free even if they are not the renter, just as long as they are named on the rental agreement. Isn't it just the renter that needs to have the 3rd party coverage? Or is it the driver (if it happens to be the spouse driving at the time of the accident)?
According to the AMEX insurance stipulation and confirmed by the reps, rental company authorized renters are defined as per rental company terms. So that includes spouse, and others such as renter's fellow worker/employee/employer(Hertz/Avis?), fellow CAA members(Hertz with CAA plan?) for certain jurisdiction/rental company/discount plan with the rental company, even if the person's name does NOT appear on the rental agreement and no additional fee paid. These people are covered by AMEX.

When you rent a car, 3rd party insurance is included in the rental cost (except California). That insurance covers all authorized renters as defined by the rental contract - so could be a spouse for certain rental company/plan/jurisdiction even you don't pay additional driver fee.

When a non-authorized(as per rental contract) driver drives the rental car, all insurance/coverage provided by the rental company is void. That's where the Canadian Visa and MasterCard coverage comes in. If YOU the renter authorized someone to drive, he is covered by Visa/MC for CDW/LDW *only*. He must also have 3rd party insurance. Typically someone living in your household is also covered by your automobile 3rd party insurance.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:57 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by markandrew
My only but serious issue with Aerogold is that it involves dealing with CIBC. Shudder.

Have always had double points on ticket redemptions, charged to AC, now the service fee if you paid one may be different as that would be charged by AP.
Sorry you are right. If AC is listed then you get the double points but whatever is listed under AE is not double points. It looks as if the trip interruption on the CIBC Visa is up to $2000 per covered person but only $1500 on the Amex Gold card.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
As much as I dislike Aero Visa (not sure why I do?) it really is an impressive card. I want to cancel so bad but their insurance, points/$, Visa's acceptability can't be touched.

I pay $700/yr for an Amex and am eager to drop the Visa but can't pull the trigger.

My delayed flight insurance experience with AeroVisa on a redemption ticket was superior to a purchased flight on my plat Amex.
I feel your pain. I am in the same boat, but with a Gold, not a Plat.

Wondering if just buying the trip cancellation/interruption/baggage insurance for AP bookings will suffice?
Old Mar 6, 2013, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beep88
According to the AMEX insurance stipulation and confirmed by the reps, rental company authorized renters are defined as per rental company terms. So that includes spouse, and others such as renter's fellow worker/employee/employer(Hertz/Avis?), fellow CAA members(Hertz with CAA plan?) for certain jurisdiction/rental company/discount plan with the rental company, even if the person's name does NOT appear on the rental agreement and no additional fee paid. These people are covered by AMEX.

When you rent a car, 3rd party insurance is included in the rental cost (except California). That insurance covers all authorized renters as defined by the rental contract - so could be a spouse for certain rental company/plan/jurisdiction even you don't pay additional driver fee.

When a non-authorized(as per rental contract) driver drives the rental car, all insurance/coverage provided by the rental company is void. That's where the Canadian Visa and MasterCard coverage comes in. If YOU the renter authorized someone to drive, he is covered by Visa/MC for CDW/LDW *only*. He must also have 3rd party insurance. Typically someone living in your household is also covered by your automobile 3rd party insurance.
Whoa! This was a mouthful! But, if I understand you correctly, what you've said is if I use my Amex OR my Aerogold Visa to rent with Budget (who authorizes a spouse at the same household to drive the car for free), in any state except CA, any liabilities/monies owed that result from an accident while either of us is driving are covered (collision, comp, 3rd party)?
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:23 pm

if I use my Amex OR my Aerogold Visa to rent with Budget (who authorizes a spouse at the same household to drive the car for free), in any state except CA, any liabilities/monies owed that result from an accident while either of us is driving are covered (collision, comp, 3rd party)?
Yes that should be the case.

If you use your own 3rd party coverage while renting in California, that should also cover your spouse too - at least that's how Ontario auto insurance works.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.