Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAme Day Airport Change

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:19 am
Original Poster

SAme Day Airport Change

Just got off the phone with Sylvia in the YYZ concierge office. She insists that the same day airport change only applies in the exact same fare class is available. If not..you must pay the fare difference.
Tried to explain to her that this is not the case that this does not happen with same day change (ie collection of fare diff) but to no avail.

It is REALLY frustrating having to deal with AC staff right up to the concierge office that do not know or understand their own company policies. Really creates so much bad will towards Air Canada.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:47 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by llbean
Just got off the phone with Sylvia in the YYZ concierge office. She insists that the same day airport change only applies in the exact same fare class is available. If not..you must pay the fare difference.
Tried to explain to her that this is not the case that this does not happen with same day change (ie collection of fare diff) but to no avail.

It is REALLY frustrating having to deal with AC staff right up to the concierge office that do not know or understand their own company policies. Really creates so much bad will towards Air Canada.
Agree that this is crazy. Had a similar debate with a concierge in the past. They finally tried it when I insisted and were surprised that it worked as explained. Luckily there are many concierge in Toronto so you could try again.

You were in the same calendar day not 24 hours right?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:19 pm

I watched a concierge in YYC do it; she was able to exchange segment per segment; but I had 2 segments and new routing involved 3; so she had to issue a new ticket for the 3rd segment; code : SDCC (same day confirmed change).

I have had a concierge (for no fee); ''exchange'' my ticket to confirm me 1 full day previouse on a YYZ-YUL ticket; as the same fare existed on the new flight.

By experience; YHZ/YYZ have been the worst when it comes to concierges either not knowing the rules or bending them in my favor (not that the second one can really be judged; but the first is a major piss off!) I had one YYZ concierge refuse to stand me by for the 00:15 flight YYZ-YOW (Which is the same day); so I had to go out to the normal check in line to have an agent do it and print me out a SBY boarding card to get thru security, as in his words (It is not allowed).
Old Dec 30, 2012, 1:03 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
YYZ is totally useless. Don't even know why they exist!?!
Old Dec 30, 2012, 1:19 pm

Programs: AC*SE, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
I've had this fight so many times. You would think the Concierges would know this stuff - I always send them to http://www.aircanada.com/us/en/travelinfo/products_services.html - it says under same day changes "No additional charges for fare difference apply for changes made on the day of travel when flights are operated by Air Canada". I've had this fight so many times I have this bookmarked on my phone. I would send a note to customer relations about this.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
The rules are clearly stated on every ticket you buy. Here are mine for an international ticket.

Changes:

Prior to day of departure - Change fee per direction, per passenger, is $250 USD plus applicable taxes and any additional fare difference. Changes can be made up to 2 hours prior to departure.

Day of departure, at the airport - $100 CAD, per passenger, plus applicable taxes (no charge for fare difference) for same-day flights only.

Flights can only be used in sequence from the place of departure specified on the itinerary.
They still won't believe you even when you show them!
Old Dec 30, 2012, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlisi984
YYZ is totally useless. Don't even know why they exist!?!
Talking airport,or concierges.

Airport I find relatively simple to use and navigate through.

Concierges,rarely see them. When required ,they have answered the bell
Old Dec 30, 2012, 3:39 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by acysb87
Talking airport,or concierges.

Airport I find relatively simple to use and navigate through.

Concierges,rarely see them. When required ,they have answered the bell
Concierges. They do OK for standard items, but even the smallest special request gets a no.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 5:17 pm

Pay them and write a complaint to AC for reimbirsement. Let their management straighten them out with the rule book.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Concierges. They do OK for standard items, but even the smallest special request gets a no.
Have the YYZ concierges a copy of your picture on the office wall?

All the celebrities are there
Old Dec 30, 2012, 8:45 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
So not true! I have had a lot of special requests handled very kindly. However I've also had the OP's same issue - it seems in general some training on SDC is needed. Some concierges will do them free, I guess it just depends on the circumstances...

Mike
Old Dec 30, 2012, 9:42 pm

Programs: AC E, BA Bronze, HHonors Gold
SAme Day Airport Change

Earlier this year I had no problem doing a same day change flying back from LHR. Original booking included a stop in YHZ. I was able to get a seat in the direct flight to YUL. I just paid the $100 fee for the change. On top of that My upgrade cleared just before boarding
Old Dec 31, 2012, 3:46 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I ran into this last week at YVR:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...trictions.html

Originally Posted by llbean
Since you know the name of the concierge, a polite note to AC is in order.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 6:14 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
I have a Related question but I don't want to start a new thread.

I am flying YOW-YYZ-FRA-DEL using Aeroplan in J.

The YOW to YYZ flight only leaves 1 hr for the connection which is fine in say, June, but not much room for error in January.

Please confirm my understanding that as long as there is any seat on the plane available, I can show up early in YOW and pay the same day change fee and fly earlier, should I wish to voluntarily add some buffer to maximize the likelihood that I will make my FRA connection.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 6:35 am

+1. YYZ Concierge are lazy. They don't want to do anything even if it is within their mandate to assist.

They once told me because I was not SE, I was not entitled to the Concierge service until I reached YVR, on a YYZ-YVR-Asia trip (immediate connection at YVR) in Executive/Executive First because the YYZ-YVR segment was considered as "domestic". When I insisted that in that case, I would need the contact information of the Concierge in YVR. The agent then gave me the telephone no. and e-mail address of the Concierge in YVR to contact them myself. What a joke but the nice thing was that I now had both the tel. no. and e-mail address of the Concierge office in YVR, just in case for the next time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.