FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1418594-air-canada-rouge-leisure-airline.html)

Rosens222 Dec 18, 2012 6:17 am

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

From Financial Post:

Air Canada targets new leisure destinations with low-cost carrier Rouge

Air Canada will unveil its new low-cost carrier and leisure group Tuesday under a new brand, Rouge, targeting several new leisure destinations in Europe and the Caribbean starting in July, sources familiar with the plan have said.

The initial details about Rouge were the first to emerge in what is a key part of Air Canada’s strategy to lower its costs and expand in the years ahead. The low-cost carrier, coupled with the airline’s new 787 Dreamliners, is expected to have a dramatic impact on the competitiveness of the airline’s fleet.

While not all the details were known ahead of the launch of the new brand Tuesday at an event in Toronto, Air Canada is said to be targeting several new destinations in Italy, Scotland, Greece, Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Costa Rica and Jamaica.

It is believed the carrier will launch in the East, flying from Toronto and Montreal, and that only one of the destinations in those countries will be an existing one, sources said.

The Lev Dec 18, 2012 6:31 am

Originally Posted by Rosens222 (Post 19878376)
Air Canada is said to be targeting several new destinations in Italy, Scotland, Greece, Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Costa Rica and Jamaica...

...only one of the destinations in those countries will be an existing one, sources said.

So where exactly is Rouge going to fly in Italy, Greece, Cuba, the DR, Costa Rica and Jamaica that is not already served by AC?

If they're thinking of adding VCE it would be interesting.

Altaflyer Dec 18, 2012 6:50 am

Rouge is such a dumb name. And with 50 more seats on a 767 I wonder what that will do to the pitch?

djjaguar64 Dec 18, 2012 6:52 am

Rogue Air is that the English version?

gabdusch Dec 18, 2012 6:54 am

Sounds like the color of their financial statements...:p

Seriously, it will be interesting to see how that wireless IFE will be implemented.

airbus320 Dec 18, 2012 6:56 am

Rouge......name ok in French

Rouge...... name ??????? in English

Jasper2009 Dec 18, 2012 6:59 am

Originally Posted by airbus320 (Post 19878539)

+1

Seems like the most stupid choice for an airline name.:confused:

djjaguar64 Dec 18, 2012 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009 (Post 19878550)
+1

Seems like the most stupid choice for an airline name.:confused:

^^^

They should have selected SCOOT OFF

Jasper2009 Dec 18, 2012 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Rosens222 (Post 19878376)
Walter Spracklin, an RBC Capital Markets analyst, said he expects the new LCC might be able to contribute a modest profit of roughly $952,000 in its first year to Air Canada’s operations and potentially as much as $12-million annually by 2018 as it matures. By then, he said he expects it will be serving other destinations across the Pacific as well.

All this effort / annoying pax / annoying staff just to generate an estimated profit of a few million dollars - and thatīs if everything works out well?!? Guess I should forget everything I thought I knew about business and economics.

yyz_atc_qq Dec 18, 2012 7:14 am

When is someone going to ask about status miles.... oh wait... I just did....

How can I get status miles on this new Rouge? Will they count for MM?

Could it be a new T+++ fare category?

willflyforfood Dec 18, 2012 7:17 am

Pitch?

Originally Posted by Altaflyer (Post 19878514)
Rouge is such a dumb name. And with 50 more seats on a 767 I wonder what that will do to the pitch?

Pitch...?can you say PINCH!!
Forget "Buy on Board"...you'll be eating your knees for hours...

Lights_a_blur Dec 18, 2012 7:19 am

Originally Posted by Altaflyer (Post 19878514)

Do you think they will handle this through pitch changes or the dreaded 2-4-2 in a 767?

I would assume they will keep some Comfort Plus seating in order to glean a little incremental revenue, so it is either squish the remaining seats laterally or longitudinally to create the extra capacity.

Here's hoping I never fly Rouge, I'm sure multiple parts of my body would end up that colour after a TATL flight.

Jasper2009 Dec 18, 2012 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Lights_a_blur (Post 19878636)
Do you think they will handle this through pitch changes or the dreaded 2-4-2 in a 767?

Does any airline have a 2-4-2 config? I donīt think thatīs even possible, is it?

laidback71 Dec 18, 2012 7:29 am

Originally Posted by airbus320 (Post 19878539)

It is an acceptable English word, used to describe a shade of red, normally used in cosmetics. They needed a name that worked in both languages. I agree that it is not the best choice, though.

Lights_a_blur Dec 18, 2012 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009 (Post 19878656)
Does any airline have a 2-4-2 config? I donīt think thatīs even possible, is it?

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Thoma...ba30faee365738

And it is from Thomas Cook... So the leadership is quite familiar with it.