Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Old May 5, 2014, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Arcanum
Flights operated by Air Canada rouge

NOTE: Rouge Wifi information can be found here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post28448087

Dates in brackets indicate planned start of rouge service (either as a new route or replacing mainline service). ML placed before a date indicates the date that service is reverting to mainline.

All Airbus A319/A321 service is in the new Premium Rouge configuration with 2x2J seats. All other routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft in a 24J/258Y layout.

Airport codes in blue indicate that these routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft for all services.
Airport codes in red indicate that these routes are split between Boeing 767-300ER and Airbus services.
Airport codes in black indicate that these routes are Airbus aircraft for all services.

Routes are organized based on the established rouge bases of YYZ, YUL, YYC, and YVR

*Seasonal Summer Service

YYZ
Canada
YQT YQY YXX YLW YYG (02MAY-OCT) YDF YQB YQM (01MAY19) YFC (01JUL19)

USA
MCO TPA LAS FLL HNL SRQ RSW SAN PHX MIA PSP (14DEC16)

Mexico
CUN PVR SJD

Caribbean
KIN NAS LIR GND MBJ AZS CCC CUR HUX PUJ POP SKB SJO SXM LRM HOG SNU UVF VRA BGI (07JAN) POS (21DEC16)

Europe
ATH BCN EDI VCE MAN LIS PRG BUD GLA LGW

Central and South America
LIM BOG PTY

YUL
USA
LAS MCO FLL PBI TPA MIA

Mexico
CUN MEX PVR (18NOV16)

Caribbean
ZSA CCC HOG PUJ SNU PLS POP PAP NAS (17JAN) PTP

Europe
FCO ATH BCN NCE VCE

Central and South America
SJO (22DEC16)

Africa
CMN

YYC
Canada
YHZ* YHM (2016)

USA
LAS PHX (winter only - PHX AC Express in summer)

YVR
USA
LAS HNL OGG PHX PSP KOA SAN (02JUN)

Mexico
CUN PVR

Asia
KIX

Europe
DUB LGA KEF

What to Do If Your Flight Has Been Rouged According to the AC Rep "Air Canada Altitude": call AC Reservations, cancel and get a refund.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Old May 16, 2015, 8:41 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'm not sure what rouge has to do with the MLL.
I'm assuming MLL are designed for business travelers so they're placed in hubs with high-yield traffic. Rouge routes are the opposite of both those things, so LAX is an interesting choice for AC to rouge.
Old May 16, 2015, 8:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by keitherson
I'm assuming MLL are designed for business travelers so they're placed in hubs with high-yield traffic. Rouge routes are the opposite of both those things, so LAX is an interesting choice for AC to rouge.

Lax to Yyz is high yield. Plus, fly Rouge you can use star airline lounge.
Old May 23, 2015, 12:29 pm

Given Mrs. Pappy was deeply unimpressed by the tiny seats when she inadvertently ended up on a Rouge flight (at all of 5'5") we both laughed at the idea of paying 40% more than WJ to Vegas on Rouged flights. I get that Rouge is supposed to be an economy variant, but surely you can't then charge (a lot) more for less?! Or are the relying on people loyally booking AC without knowing what they are getting?

Probably our first non AC/*A flight in something like 5 years. Well done AC, I guess...
Old May 23, 2015, 6:12 pm

Programs: AC SE100K , 1MM, Hilton Diamond, KLM
Interesting 40 percent less so I checked to see what the cost was to LAS from YXE and found air Canada at 2900.00 for 3 people and West Jet 1900.00 . AC would be Rouge from Calgary or Vancouver .

I guess I need to look more serious at West Jet. for future travel.
Old May 23, 2015, 6:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by traacs
Interesting 40 percent less so I checked to see what the cost was to LAS from YXE and found air Canada at 2900.00 for 3 people and West Jet 1900.00 . AC would be Rouge from Calgary or Vancouver .

Don't forget that you get a 5-10% discount on WS if you have an Amex Plat and book through Amex Plat Travel Services!

It is ridiculous that AC charges at least as much as mainline for routes that are rouged though. I thought Rouge was a LCC? I'm happy to have narrowly avoided it in favour of WS on YHZ-YYC. That would have been an uncomfortable 5 hours.
Old May 23, 2015, 7:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by pewpew
I thought Rouge was a LCC?
Decided to travel back in time to about a year ago and see if the answer to your question was in this 335 page-5,000+ post thread

From Nov & Dec 2014:

Originally Posted by kevy_boy
The term low cost has always meant from the airline perspective.

Low cost does not equal low fare.

Originally Posted by kwflyer
the biggest problem with rouge is you re not saving any money flying them as you re still paying mainline prices. low cost for ac not for the customer.

Originally Posted by ac777
Why is Rouge a leisure airline--It charges the same as AC so it should be the same....
Old May 23, 2015, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by traacs

Air Canada makes more money selling separate tickets to other people.
YXE to YYC/YVR and then YYC/YVR to LAS.

Better luck next time.
Old May 23, 2015, 11:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pewpew
Don't forget that you get a 5-10% discount on WS if you have an Amex Plat and book through Amex Plat Travel Services!

It is ridiculous that AC charges at least as much as mainline for routes that are rouged though. I thought Rouge was a LCC? I'm happy to have narrowly avoided it in favour of WS on YHZ-YYC. That would have been an uncomfortable 5 hours.
Rates are based on loads. AC has higher load percentage than WestJet, so prices are higher.
Old May 24, 2015, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Rates are based on loads. AC has higher load percentage than WestJet, so prices are higher.
Good thing the government keeps these statistics, or we would have to believe your baseless statements
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tabl...ans01b-eng.htm

the load factors for the last two months were:
Feb.2015 - Air Canada: 81.9%, Westjet 84.3%
Mar.2015 - Air Canada: 84.0%, Westjet 81.3%
Old May 24, 2015, 10:07 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Good thing the government keeps these statistics, or we would have to believe your baseless statements

I guess it would depend on when OP is flying.

Assuming he is booking in the near future (May/June/July), these were the load factors for the same months last year (from the same website as yours):

Old May 24, 2015, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Assuming he is booking in the near future (May/June/July), these were the load factors for the same months last year (from the same website as yours):

ok, so its on average 5% higher for AC then. So I guess their fares should be 5% higher
Old May 24, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: *$ Green
ok, so its on average 5% higher for AC then. So I guess their fares should be 5% higher
lol!

Well, if only economics worked that way... Anyone could get a PhD in it in about 2-3 weeks TOPS!

IMHO, I think that a 5% difference is probably just enough to wipe out the cheapo fares from the fare map.

124 economy seats x 5% = 6.2 seats. Could be the difference between T6 and T0? *shrugs*

If my airline would sell all its allocated cheapo fares way before the competition, I would be comfortable waiting to sell the remaining seats at a higher price while the rest of the competition struggles to find the rest of the price sensitive market.

I find AC and WS prices to be generally in line with each other (from the little I have seen).
Old May 24, 2015, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
I find AC and WS prices to be generally in line with each other (from the little I have seen).
For the YVR-YYZ route at least, you can bet on AC and WS coming within $5 of each other for lowest economy 95% of the time.
Old May 24, 2015, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Why are you quoting system load factors. Missed the point again. Also, I believe the load factors are a requirement of the TSX and not for statcan.
Old May 24, 2015, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Why are you quoting system load factors.
You have access to specific route load factors to claim that AC is higher = higher price. Do tell.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.