Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2014, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Arcanum
Flights operated by Air Canada rouge

NOTE: Rouge Wifi information can be found here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post28448087

Dates in brackets indicate planned start of rouge service (either as a new route or replacing mainline service). ML placed before a date indicates the date that service is reverting to mainline.

All Airbus A319/A321 service is in the new Premium Rouge configuration with 2x2J seats. All other routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft in a 24J/258Y layout.

Airport codes in blue indicate that these routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft for all services.
Airport codes in red indicate that these routes are split between Boeing 767-300ER and Airbus services.
Airport codes in black indicate that these routes are Airbus aircraft for all services.

Routes are organized based on the established rouge bases of YYZ, YUL, YYC, and YVR

*Seasonal Summer Service

YYZ
Canada
YQT YQY YXX YLW YYG (02MAY-OCT) YDF YQB YQM (01MAY19) YFC (01JUL19)

USA
MCO TPA LAS FLL HNL SRQ RSW SAN PHX MIA PSP (14DEC16)

Mexico
CUN PVR SJD

Caribbean
KIN NAS LIR GND MBJ AZS CCC CUR HUX PUJ POP SKB SJO SXM LRM HOG SNU UVF VRA BGI (07JAN) POS (21DEC16)

Europe
ATH BCN EDI VCE MAN LIS PRG BUD GLA LGW

Central and South America
LIM BOG PTY

YUL
USA
LAS MCO FLL PBI TPA MIA

Mexico
CUN MEX PVR (18NOV16)

Caribbean
ZSA CCC HOG PUJ SNU PLS POP PAP NAS (17JAN) PTP

Europe
FCO ATH BCN NCE VCE

Central and South America
SJO (22DEC16)

Africa
CMN

YYC
Canada
YHZ* YHM (2016)

USA
LAS PHX (winter only - PHX AC Express in summer)

YVR
USA
LAS HNL OGG PHX PSP KOA SAN (02JUN)

Mexico
CUN PVR

Asia
KIX

Europe
DUB LGA KEF

What to Do If Your Flight Has Been Rouged According to the AC Rep "Air Canada Altitude": call AC Reservations, cancel and get a refund.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2016, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by airshow1
Noticed that Air Canada is operating a Rouge B767 Vancouver to Puerto Vallarta. Does Rouge experience any noshow factor on this routing?
Every route get no shows, but since this is mostly a holiday route, I would think it would have a very low no shows rate.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 6:03 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by drvannostren
Ok ok, I'm not totally opposed to Rouge, when I know in advance I'm booking that and when I'm getting a good price.

However, I was just Rouged on YYZ-BOG, which I really don't want. BUT, I also have a problem with my AQD and I don't think I'll hit the $6k mark I wanna hit.

Looking for a bit of help.

I don't rEALLY understand the non-AC metal AQD. If I call and get rerouted, hypothetically YVR-IAH-BOG-MDE. Will I earn AQD because it's ticketed as 014 stock? Or will I forego the whole thing? Not looking to scam the airline, but is there a way, in your experts opinion, I can rack up some more AQD in this situation, without actually spending anymore D ? I think I'm gonna be like $1k short, obviously I won't hit that, but maybe I can re-route, buy up to J or flex or something and fill that void.

Ideas?

Funny I was looking at BOG from YYC through YYZ as it was like $650 J each way and then it went to Rouge. I also saw a sale through Aeromexico for $500 YVR-MEX and i cant remember then BOG for Nov to Mar?
Old Oct 16, 2016, 9:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Unfortunately, on a recent Rouge flight. Seated in Premuim Rouge or whatever their equivalent of J is. Seats very uncomfortable. Meal was pretty bad. Sauce on chicken okay but everything else not. No healthy options. Roll served on tray -- unhygienic.

In a post last year, I was complimentary about the IFE choices on Rouge. Guess I got lucky before, certainly very poor this time.

All in all, poor value and disappointing. Back hurt for several days afterwards.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 11:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Bartolo
Unfortunately, on a recent Rouge flight. Seated in Premuim Rouge or whatever their equivalent of J is. Seats very uncomfortable. Meal was pretty bad. Sauce on chicken okay but everything else not. No healthy options. Roll served on tray -- unhygienic.

In a post last year, I was complimentary about the IFE choices on Rouge. Guess I got lucky before, certainly very poor this time.

All in all, poor value and disappointing. Back hurt for several days afterwards.
Was that on the 767, A319 or A321?
Old Oct 17, 2016, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fiordland
The most "uncomfortable" premium economy seat is on the 763.
I find the A319 and A321 to be OK
Will not fly Y on a Rouge flight
Old Oct 17, 2016, 7:04 am

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Diamond, VIA Premier, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by acysb87
The most "uncomfortable" premium economy seat is on the 763.
I find the A319 and A321 to be OK
Will not fly Y on a Rouge flight
Entirely agree. I try to avoid Rouge altogether but if I have to (and always Premium Rouge), I aim for the A319, A321. I don't know what it is with the B767 seats but they are extra-uncomfortable!
Old Oct 17, 2016, 10:45 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Been meaning to post this, I took the A321 Rouge for 4h a couple of weeks ago, in Y (preferred seat) outbound and and J on the return.

To be honest, it wasn't as bad as I expected. The seat in Y was very narrow, TS style, leg room for me wasn't an issue as I had the window seat in row 31 or whatever with the FA opposite me. It did not seem appalling elsewhere though.

From what I could see Z1 boarding was enforced following my a typical FFA with everyone else. Service was actually excellent, I saw at least 3 "water" trips which in a flight with <4h air time is pretty amazing. IFE accessed on my laptop without too many issues, it died for about 30 minutes but returned; the one comment I'd make would be announce that it's dead so one doesn't have to ask.

The 2nd flight in J was, obviously, more comfortable. Z1 boarding was fine, though they were telling everyone in Z4 and Z5 that they might be bag checking, which seems excessive given Z4/5 seems to be about 90% of Y.

Leg room and recline were acceptable though perhaps a little less than expected, actually less than TATL PY. Service was fair though I didn't see any water runs. Food was excellent; though the boarding drink was in plastic. The loaner laptop and film selection was limited, but acceptable.

The biggest complaints I'd have would be no lounge access (I don't fly AC J TB often enough to know if this is standard but to me, J = lounge regardless of whether or not there is a MLL). And secondly the loaner iPad was taken from me about 30 minutes before landing meaning I missed the end of the film. I get they want them back but of the 3 people in Y that actually borrow one and the 5 people in J, seriously, there are only 8 of them at least get them a little later. Maybe they've had too many go missing.

The other thing that irked me was being asked to remove my ear buds for take off and landing - just on the outbound in Y. I've not had to remove ear buds on take off for years regardless of whether I'm plugged into IFE or a personal device.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by jc94
The other thing that irked me was being asked to remove my ear buds for take off and landing - just on the outbound in Y. I've not had to remove ear buds on take off for years regardless of whether I'm plugged into IFE or a personal device.
Then you haven't flown AC much/haven't been listening/inattentive FAs. The announcement for years has been "Only ear-bud type headphones connected to the aircraft's entertainment system may be worn at this time."

Presumably you can't hear important PAs as your phone won't pause its music automatically during announcements, like ACs hardwired AVOD and (I think) only the streaming Rouge films, not the + app. Which would explain why you can't wear them for TO/Landing.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 11:07 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
I've not had to remove ear buds on take off for years regardless of whether I'm plugged into IFE or a personal device.
I don't recall the last AC flight I was on where they didn't announce that "only ear-bud-style headphones connected to the in-flight entertainment system may be worn" for takeoff and landing.

I believe this is so that no passenger will miss a sudden announcement from the flight crew during takeoff or landing, and I don't believe Rouge has the ability to broadcast announcements through personal-device-based IFE.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 1:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
The seat in Y was very narrow, TS style
The width is the same as every other 319/320/321 seat on AC mainline, as well as every other airline that configures them in 3-3 (which is, I believe, all of them).

which seems excessive given Z4/5 seems to be about 90% of Y.
One third are in each of 3/4/5, but then people with status end up in 2. So it would be, at most, 2/3 of the flight in zones 4 and 5.

though the boarding drink was in plastic.
As it is on every North American flight on AC, UA, AA, DL, etc.

As has been stated, you clearly don't fly AC much, as this is constant on every flight.

"Only earbud type earphones may be used when connected into the aircraft entertainment system for taxi, take-off, and landing." (do I have the phrasing correct?)

An iPad is not considered "aircraft entertainment system", even if it's provided by AC and streaming from onboard wifi.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Fiordland
767, widebody
Old Oct 17, 2016, 7:23 pm

My experience has been that pre-boarding drink is served in glass and if you are slow to finish they offer to pour it into plastic for takeoff.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 7:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bartolo
My experience has been that pre-boarding drink is served in glass and if you are slow to finish they offer to pour it into plastic for takeoff.
That's in International Business Class (the product, not to be confused with "certain flights departing Canada but not considered international").

Not on North American flights.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 8:48 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I'm aware that one is meant to remove earbuds, but it is exceedingly rare that I'm actually asked to do it (and I wasn't on the return). I can hear just fine through them. Once the light goes out I switch to NC ones.

The seat felt narrower than anything I've been on in two years including WS. I just don't fly 3-3 often I guess or perhaps 31A is just narrower. Or I was in a particularly unhappy mood from getting up at 5am on a weekend and finding no pickles in the MLL :P I had toast.

It's interesting that Z3 is 1/3 of the plane. I always get the impression it's about 3 rows. I've not sure I've ever been Z3. But as you said, I've flown probably 40 segments in two years time, not all of which were on AC, or TB, or Y.

Either way, that's my review on AC Rouge. It wasn't as bad as I expected and I'd fly it again if the price was right. Though probably not internationally.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 7:03 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life

The seat felt narrower than anything I've been on in two years including WS. I just don't fly 3-3 often I guess or perhaps 31A is just narrower. Or I was in a particularly unhappy mood from getting up at 5am on a weekend and finding no pickles in the MLL :P I had toast.

Rouge seats can not be narrower than other airlines. All A320/737 series basically have a standard seat wide for every airline. Since the A320 series aircrafts are wider than the 737's, their seat are wider. Because of this, Rouge seats are wider than Westjet's or any airline flying the 737.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.