Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Old May 5, 2014, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Arcanum
Flights operated by Air Canada rouge

NOTE: Rouge Wifi information can be found here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post28448087

Dates in brackets indicate planned start of rouge service (either as a new route or replacing mainline service). ML placed before a date indicates the date that service is reverting to mainline.

All Airbus A319/A321 service is in the new Premium Rouge configuration with 2x2J seats. All other routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft in a 24J/258Y layout.

Airport codes in blue indicate that these routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft for all services.
Airport codes in red indicate that these routes are split between Boeing 767-300ER and Airbus services.
Airport codes in black indicate that these routes are Airbus aircraft for all services.

Routes are organized based on the established rouge bases of YYZ, YUL, YYC, and YVR

*Seasonal Summer Service

YYZ
Canada
YQT YQY YXX YLW YYG (02MAY-OCT) YDF YQB YQM (01MAY19) YFC (01JUL19)

USA
MCO TPA LAS FLL HNL SRQ RSW SAN PHX MIA PSP (14DEC16)

Mexico
CUN PVR SJD

Caribbean
KIN NAS LIR GND MBJ AZS CCC CUR HUX PUJ POP SKB SJO SXM LRM HOG SNU UVF VRA BGI (07JAN) POS (21DEC16)

Europe
ATH BCN EDI VCE MAN LIS PRG BUD GLA LGW

Central and South America
LIM BOG PTY

YUL
USA
LAS MCO FLL PBI TPA MIA

Mexico
CUN MEX PVR (18NOV16)

Caribbean
ZSA CCC HOG PUJ SNU PLS POP PAP NAS (17JAN) PTP

Europe
FCO ATH BCN NCE VCE

Central and South America
SJO (22DEC16)

Africa
CMN

YYC
Canada
YHZ* YHM (2016)

USA
LAS PHX (winter only - PHX AC Express in summer)

YVR
USA
LAS HNL OGG PHX PSP KOA SAN (02JUN)

Mexico
CUN PVR

Asia
KIX

Europe
DUB LGA KEF

What to Do If Your Flight Has Been Rouged According to the AC Rep "Air Canada Altitude": call AC Reservations, cancel and get a refund.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Old Jul 21, 2016, 5:08 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I am 5'8" but mostly leg, and I cannot fit in Y rouge other than the front row immediately behind J.
(I am ineligible for exit-row seating due to disability.)
Thank heaven for eUps.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=CanadianMike;26948599]Anyone flown the Rouge A321 YLW - YYZ (or any other route) ?

Seatguru says the pitch and width are actually better than the 777's.
Curious if this is the case / how the ride was......QUOTE]

Flew ACr A321 on the BGI/YYZ route in their premium economy, April 2016. Seats were comfortable , plane was spotless(IIRC ,went into service October 2015) and service quite nice. Ride was smooth^
Old Jul 21, 2016, 9:16 pm

6'2" and fit in a non-premium seat from YYZ-MCO and with no problem. I guess I have short legs?

I even held a lap baby for 10 minutes as the lady across the aisle went to the bathroom.

Not the most pleasant experience, just buy a few drinks.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 3:26 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by flyquiet
I am 5'8" but mostly leg, and I cannot fit in Y rouge other than the front row immediately behind J.
(I am ineligible for exit-row seating due to disability.)
Thank heaven for eUps.
Sounds like my youngest daughter. She's not quite 5'8" yet (still growing), but she is all leg. My brother is the same way. He is 2 1/2 inches taller than me at 6'5", and the difference is all in the leg. I wouldn't want to see him squeeze in to a Rouge seat.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 4:01 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Curious, If you had to choose between

777 HD Y vs Rouge Y

What would you choose?
Old Jul 22, 2016, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack

777 HD Y vs Rouge Y

What would you choose?
In terms of space, 788 Y > 777 HD Y > 789 Y > Rouge Y. I'm 6'5" with long legs. None of them are comfortable, but I just barely fit in the first two.

Either fly another airline or pay for Rouge Plus.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 3:47 am

Are there any scheduled non-rogue AC flights to Cuba?
Old Jul 24, 2016, 4:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

Folks, a number of off topic posts with misinformation and/or personal invective have been deleted so let's reset the conversation and try and bring value rather than volume to this thread.

Regards,

tcook052
AC forum moderator
Old Jul 24, 2016, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack

777 HD Y vs Rouge Y

What would you choose?
Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
In terms of space, 788 Y > 777 HD Y > 789 Y > Rouge Y. I'm 6'5" with long legs. None of them are comfortable, but I just barely fit in the first two.

Either fly another airline or pay for Rouge Plus.
Which Rouge Y?
I've done 77W Y, 788 Y, Rouge 767 Y in 2016, as 5'7"
All felt much the same really, it is Y after all

AC 77W is obviously roomier
ACr 767 Y - It's okay, no IFE sucks, can watch on Tablets/laptop tho
AC 788 Y - I was lucky to have the middle 3 to myself, new IFE - best Y experience of all
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:57 pm

From reading these posts, it sounds like there is a lot of variability in terms of seat comfort, aircraft cleanliness, and airframe age.

Does anyone here have recent experience on the YYZ-PRG route?
Old Jul 26, 2016, 4:21 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by FlyWorld
From reading these posts, it sounds like there is a lot of variability in terms of seat comfort, aircraft cleanliness, and airframe age.

YYZ-PRG will be on a 763 aircraft. My opinion: book seats in the Premium Plus section of the Y cabin (the first few rows) and you'll be fine, especially if you're an even number of travellers and can snag the paired seats along the sides of the cabin. It's perfectly comfortable for the type of flight. I wouldn't recommend buying up to Premium Rouge (the premium economy cabin at the front of the aircraft) unless the price difference is quite small; the additional comfort / amenities are just not worth it IMO.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
From the Globe and Mail:

"Air Canada thrilled with Rouge, mulls expansion"
While Rouges growth is limited to having 50 aircraft by the end of 2017, because of collective agreements, the Montreal-based carrier says its interested in expanding the unit and plans to hold talks with the pilots union when Rouge edges closer to its ceiling.

Air Canada chief executive officer Calin Rovinescu said its too early for him to speculate on whether Air Canada will decide to increase the size of Rouges fleet, but he welcomed the opportunity to explore the issue.

This has been the great thing that has come out of our relationship with the pilot group that we can have this kind of dialogue and come out with a win-win scenario, he said during a conference call on Friday with industry analysts. There is certainly a business case to be made for it, and well look to have that discussion in the fullness of time.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle31197873/
Old Jul 29, 2016, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by FlyWorld

Originally Posted by ffsim
YYZ-PRG will be on a 763 aircraft. My opinion: book seats in the Premium Plus section of the Y cabin (the first few rows) and you'll be fine, especially if you're an even number of travellers and can snag the paired seats along the sides of the cabin. It's perfectly comfortable for the type of flight. I wouldn't recommend buying up to Premium Rouge (the premium economy cabin at the front of the aircraft) unless the price difference is quite small; the additional comfort / amenities are just not worth it IMO.
I flew YYZ-PRG on the 767, 4 Y seats as part of Mini-RTW, it was fine (I commented in earlier replies).
You can download Android/PC apps onboard wi-fi to use the IFE system.
Food is AC-food, served on a tray, breakfast is simple (banana bread+water/juice?)
Old Jul 29, 2016, 5:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Originally Posted by jerryhung
I flew YYZ-PRG on the 767, 4 Y seats as part of Mini-RTW, it was fine (I commented in earlier replies).
You can download Android/PC apps onboard wi-fi to use the IFE system.
Food is AC-food, served on a tray, breakfast is simple (banana bread+water/juice?)
You are not allowed to complain since most of your flights are award tickets.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 6:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by eigenvector
From the Globe and Mail:

So here were are 439 pages, 6,585 posts and rouge is still here.

Somewhere between post 3,770 (mine, on Sept 14, 2014) and now, I posted that I believed rouge would become Air Canada's mainline operation in North America. I said that the PLH transcon routes along with the key high-profile international routes, would remained Air Canada branded.

I still believe that as do others. No matter...

So, I thought you might all enjoy a blast from the past, since no one likes to think anyone will look at old posts. These are worth it:

(bolding mine)

Dec 18, 12, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by [B
Rosens222[/B];19878376]From Financial Post:

Air Canada targets new leisure destinations with low-cost carrier Rouge

Air Canada will unveil its new low-cost carrier and leisure group Tuesday under a new brand, Rouge, targeting several new leisure destinations in Europe and the Caribbean starting in July, sources familiar with the plan have said.

The initial details about Rouge were the first to emerge in what is a key part of Air Canada’s strategy to lower its costs and expand in the years ahead. The low-cost carrier, coupled with the airline’s new 787 Dreamliners, is expected to have a dramatic impact on the competitiveness of the airline’s fleet.

While not all the details were known ahead of the launch of the new brand Tuesday at an event in Toronto, Air Canada is said to be targeting several new destinations in Italy, Scotland, Greece, Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Costa Rica and Jamaica.

It is believed the carrier will launch in the East, flying from Toronto and Montreal, and that only one of the destinations in those countries will be an existing one, sources said.

Jun 5, 14, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by [B
Ben Lipsey[/B];22983007]......The choice is simple: you have options. rouge isn't for everybody, while we think it is a quality product that is proving popular on certain markets (look at May's results for proof), it may not be for you and that's okay. I'm not sure what else I can say.

This one is a gem:

Jun 6, 14, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by [B
CloudsBelow[/B];22988644].....
We’ve listened to all these insightful posters blah, blah, blah from their 1998 business textbooks and Google searches dismissing the “AC Apologists” for 200 pages. 200 freaking pages of, You know, “ Rouge would never start” ...... "Rouge will never last” ... Rouge would never succeed ... Rouge is wrong for Canadian travellers ... Brand is everything and Rouge was going to contaminate the AC Brand .... NO business can succeed with a weak or mis-aligned Brand ..... Rouge is a PR nightmare ........ Rob Lowe made fun of Rouge hats ....... Jann Arden hammered Rouge ..... Baggage handlers throwing bags 30 feet .... Skytrax reviews will doom Rouge ... Transat was going to eat their lunch .....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.