Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2014, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Arcanum
Flights operated by Air Canada rouge

NOTE: Rouge Wifi information can be found here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post28448087

Dates in brackets indicate planned start of rouge service (either as a new route or replacing mainline service). ML placed before a date indicates the date that service is reverting to mainline.

All Airbus A319/A321 service is in the new Premium Rouge configuration with 2x2J seats. All other routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft in a 24J/258Y layout.

Airport codes in blue indicate that these routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft for all services.
Airport codes in red indicate that these routes are split between Boeing 767-300ER and Airbus services.
Airport codes in black indicate that these routes are Airbus aircraft for all services.

Routes are organized based on the established rouge bases of YYZ, YUL, YYC, and YVR

*Seasonal Summer Service

YYZ
Canada
YQT YQY YXX YLW YYG (02MAY-OCT) YDF YQB YQM (01MAY19) YFC (01JUL19)

USA
MCO TPA LAS FLL HNL SRQ RSW SAN PHX MIA PSP (14DEC16)

Mexico
CUN PVR SJD

Caribbean
KIN NAS LIR GND MBJ AZS CCC CUR HUX PUJ POP SKB SJO SXM LRM HOG SNU UVF VRA BGI (07JAN) POS (21DEC16)

Europe
ATH BCN EDI VCE MAN LIS PRG BUD GLA LGW

Central and South America
LIM BOG PTY

YUL
USA
LAS MCO FLL PBI TPA MIA

Mexico
CUN MEX PVR (18NOV16)

Caribbean
ZSA CCC HOG PUJ SNU PLS POP PAP NAS (17JAN) PTP

Europe
FCO ATH BCN NCE VCE

Central and South America
SJO (22DEC16)

Africa
CMN

YYC
Canada
YHZ* YHM (2016)

USA
LAS PHX (winter only - PHX AC Express in summer)

YVR
USA
LAS HNL OGG PHX PSP KOA SAN (02JUN)

Mexico
CUN PVR

Asia
KIX

Europe
DUB LGA KEF

What to Do If Your Flight Has Been Rouged According to the AC Rep "Air Canada Altitude": call AC Reservations, cancel and get a refund.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2014, 2:04 pm

Jumping in WAY late into the Rouge discussion here...

We're heading to Cancun, and I can catch a direct flight on Rouge from YYZ, which is very convenient. I've heard the seats are narrow (17.8" from what I see), and pitch is tight (31-35" from what I see).

My other options include US Air out of BUF whose connecting flights through Charlotte have seats 17.0" wide with a 32" pitch.

I'm really early in my search for flights, but I do want to book early. But, I'm a little scared off by the negativity I read re Rouge on these boards. Should I totally avoid Rouge at all costs? Them seem not so bad, but I'm certainly no expert.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 2:08 pm

Programs: Cessna TTx Self-Fly
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
What US carriers have F exYOW? UAX. Like 1-2 flights out of 40-50/day. Am I missing any?

OT : Noticed UA is upgauging a lot of YOW operations this Fall ..... Good news. F-equipped Q4 on YOWEWR, CR7 on some YOWIAD, E70 on YOWORD. Along w/ DL CR9 service on Sat-only YOWATL ..... Big changes.
Let's hope they stick around and we don't go back to 98% E145s and CR2s.
Yes there are currently limited options for F ex-YOW, but there are options. What you're missing is that I'm not prepared to give AC J money for the ridiculous excuse for J seating that is found in the Rouge 319. I'm semi retired and can pick flight times and dates that fit with the travel experience I wish to purchase. Again, if this offends your sensibilities then, well, too bad. The Rouge 319 "J" product is, to me, a bad joke AC is trying to play on my wallet. If it were priced for what it is, a subset of mainline J, maybe I would consider it.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 2:36 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Toddcan

We're heading to Cancun, and I can catch a direct flight on Rouge from YYZ, which is very convenient. I've heard the seats are narrow (17.8" from what I see), and pitch is tight (31-35" from what I see).

My other options include US Air out of BUF whose connecting flights through Charlotte have seats 17.0" wide with a 32" pitch.

I'm really early in my search for flights, but I do want to book early. But, I'm a little scared off by the negativity I read re Rouge on these boards. Should I totally avoid Rouge at all costs? Them seem not so bad, but I'm certainly no expert.
I have flown YYZ-CUN return twice this year including in J and Y in both 767 config and 319 config. Current config is 319 and I flew this month. I am 5ft10. Seat pitch is I believe around 29 which is tight even for me. If you can get exit row or row 4 in Y, you will be fine. Enthusiastic crew with less experience. Food is whatever - buy a sandwich onboard or eat before the flight. I took the direct option over connection because of time limitations and kids. Paying for J on a Rouge 319 is a waste of money as it is 3 across with middle seat blocked by a pillow, on the 767 close to mainline. IFE is streaming video to your device. It worked on the outbound (poor selection) and did not work on the return. So it comes down to longer flight times or direct flight with tight seat pitch. Would I do it again ? Depends on time constraints. There are also other options from YYZ incl UA via Houston or other hubs.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Toddcan

Seat width on rouge is standard for an Airbus aircraft, but pitch is a different story. Pitch for most seats is 29", not 31". My choice would be a non-stop rouge flight, but pay the additional fee for a preferred seat, which is 35" pitch.

IMO - an extra fee for a preferred seat far outweighs travelling to BUF and then having a connection.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:30 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
For fun today my 14 year old and I flew YVR-LAS-YYC and we were in Seats 1 AC and the 1DF.

*Nice having an empty seat between us.
*Warm nuts and hot towel are nice
*food and wine were good
*Crew was friendly
*no commercials before movie or shows, but limited and dated selection
*Premium class not business class not worth 4 eupgrades
*people are packed in, bigger people had bellies on their trays, tall people looked as they were hurting, children and little people looked happy

Its a choice, I am not wowed by it, but its a choice I guess, I do like ML better though.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by OttawaMark
Me too. I take US connections rather than endure and pay AC for a subpar product. Rouge "J" is beyond insulting to me.
Originally Posted by OttawaMark
What you're missing is that I'm not prepared to give AC J money for the ridiculous excuse for J seating that is found in the Rouge 319.
I assumed your original post meant you were "beyond insulted" by the Rouge J product yet satisfied with US regionals. I was simply inquiring what was so off-putting on Rouge J when compared to US regional jet offerings.
You subsequent post clears it up - you're insulted by the prices your fellow travellers are currently willing to pay for Rouge J on the A319. Not sure what that has to do with AC
Old Aug 22, 2014, 12:18 am

Programs: AC, A3*G AB-G
I assumed your original post meant you were "beyond insulted" by the Rouge J product yet satisfied with US regionals. I was simply inquiring what was so off-putting on Rouge J when compared to US regional jet offerings.
You subsequent post clears it up - you're insulted by the prices your fellow travellers are currently willing to pay for Rouge J on the A319. Not sure what that has to do with AC
This is a strange comment - is it not always about price to some extent? That is the game that AC is playing: reducing its costs and quality delivered to customers while trying to maintain a constant price. Why is it logical and correct for AC to care about cost, but their customer should for some reason ignore cost and only choose product based on high-level definitions of quality?

Anyway this particular exchange concerns flying out of YOW, where there are no direct Rouge flights. So the option for most destinations is to connect with mainline via YYZ or on a museum-age DH8 through YUL. I fail to see how the YOW-YUL experience followed by Rouge J could be better than a slightly longer regional flight to the US and then a "real" J onwards flight, especially if the US connection is cost-neutral or less expensive (which is generally the case).
Old Aug 22, 2014, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Gus2013
Why is it logical and correct for AC to care about cost, but their customer should for some reason ignore cost and only choose product based on high-level definitions of quality?
AC/Rouge supplies a basic product in an open market. There is not a single Rouge destination not accessible by other airlines. So, How does it make any sense to “blame” AC/Rouge for the prices their services/products command? If Rouge A319 J prices are offensive to some, take it up with your fellow travellers dictating the market price with every purchase.
Guess you could also ask Westjet why they don’t simply block the middle seats in their Economy Plus cabin and price them at a level less insulting
Old Aug 22, 2014, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AC/Rouge supplies a basic product in an open market. There is not a single Rouge destination not accessible by other airlines.
VCE-YYZ and VCE-YUL nonstops- the only other option is Thomas Cook and only on YYZ and only charter. I can say at least on VCE/YYZ the nonstop with Rouge is better than nothing at all.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Popped up in my Google News alert email this morning:

A Review of Air Canada Rouge – Just Say No for Business and Personal Travel

https://spendmatters.com/2014/08/22/...rsonal-travel/

I think I’ve found the bottom of the barrel of Star Alliance. While it may be painted “Rouge” on the outside, Air Canada’s new discount service made my family red with anger on the inside. ... ...

The happy customers just keep on rolling in . . .
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: American AAdvantage
I'd be skeptical about that article on SpendMatters site due to the hyperboles. For instance...
Since most iPads are not Wi-Fi enabled and global data plans aren’t cheap for smartphones, an earlier warning (e.g., an email or call) would have been appreciated for the nine-hour flight.
All iPads are Wi-Fi enabled while many may not be cellular-enabled.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Sant
I'd be skeptical about that article on SpendMatters site due to the hyperboles. For instance...

Not sure how the author's misunderstanding or miscommunication re Internet connectivity invalidates a personal review of an airline experience? It's an airline review, not a Gizmodo article.

Perhaps the author doesn't own an iPad and made an incorrect assumption. Or perhaps the author miscommunicated and intended to convey that connecting to WiFi in the airport wasn't possible for some reason.

Regardless, who cares. The review is consistent with the vast, vast majority of reviews that are out there.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

He's also annoyed at not being able to take in his entire family at a *Gold lounge:

They should also be aware that annual club memberships and Star Alliance Gold status for club admittance may not be honored in the same capacity (e.g., bringing two children per card-carrying adult
Since when did *Gold status let you bring in two children? It's always been one guest or ticketed J.

He then refers to premium rouge as business class. On TATL trips, the 767s are sold and priced as Premium Economy. PY is priced pretty competitively, both on rouge and mainline.

Valid criticism on the amigo era 767, which will be getting an update and in-seat power later this year.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry

If you take the quote out of context, of course it doesn't make sense. The author was talking about being told to download the Air Canada app at the gate in order to have in-flight entertainment. While he definitely erred in saying "[s]ince most iPads are not Wi-Fi enabled," the underlying point of not having sufficient notice to prepare one's iPad ahead of the flight is completely valid.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 3:54 pm

Programs: Cessna TTx Self-Fly
AC/Rouge supplies a basic product in an open market. There is not a single Rouge destination not accessible by other airlines. So, How does it make any sense to “blame” AC/Rouge for the prices their services/products command? If Rouge A319 J prices are offensive to some, take it up with your fellow travellers dictating the market price with every purchase.
Guess you could also ask Westjet why they don’t simply block the middle seats in their Economy Plus cabin and price them at a level less insulting
Why on earth would I waste my time taking up with fellow travellers my disdain for Rouge J 319 pricing when I can simply travel other carriers and get more for my dollar? You're making no sense. Unless you think either I should just be accepting and flying Rouge because, well, it's part of AC or that I don't have other options and I'm forced to pay said Rouge prices???

No, my beef is with AC and not with other travellers willing to pay J 319 prices. Why? Because there are other options available to me. I choose not to support AC Rouge 319 J. I do as others have often said to do - vote with my wallet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.