Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

EF shows LX flight has 8 F seats (O=8) but AE can't get them...

Old Dec 30, 2012, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM

Trying to change an inbound flight from a mini-RTW and noticed that LX has released some reward seats in J ZRH-YUL for Jan. 1st. On closer inspection using EF, it looks there are also 8 F seats available as reward seats (O=8).

We just tried calling AE to directly request those seats - but the agent is saying that LX is not releasing them. Is this truly the case - that these reward seats are still be held for their own program or M&M?

I thought with a day notice they would release the seats to all programs, rather than fly what appears to be fully empty up front?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 8:55 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
True. EF shows space available for M&M members only.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Originally Posted by jlisi984
More specifically, LX has stopped releasing any F awards to partner airlines. The only way to book SWISS First awards is via Lufthansa Miles & More miles. You cannot use Aeroplan, nor United, nor any other non-M&M program.

Suggestion: Book LX J now, wait until (a minimum of) 14-days prior to departure when it becomes bookable and switch to LH F from YUL-MUC. It's operated by an LH A330, and all MUC-based A330s feature new F. It's now your only option to travel real F across the atlantic. It's usually super easy to book LH F 14-days prior on YUL-MUC.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlisi984
Haven't flown LX J on an A330 (only in F) - would they be preferred to AC J?
I'm guessing yes - especially since we are scheduled to fly on a 763.
Looks like LX J on A330 is a true lie flat seat.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by mountainboy
Haven't flown LX J on an A330 (only in F) - would they be preferred to AC J?
I'm guessing yes - especially since we are scheduled to fly on a 763.
Looks like LX J on A330 is a true lie flat seat.
So yes, LX is definitely better than AC (but FWIW I love the AC 763's 1-1-1 config). Also, LX doesn't have fuel surcharges, but of course AC does. However, if you wait, I promise you'll end up in LH F
Old Dec 30, 2012, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arcticbull
More specifically, LX has stopped releasing any F awards to partner airlines. The only way to book SWISS First awards is via Lufthansa Miles & More miles. You cannot use Aeroplan, nor United, nor any other non-M&M program.

Suggestion: Book LX J now, wait until (a minimum of) 14-days prior to departure when it becomes bookable and switch to LH F from YUL-MUC. It's operated by an LH A330, and all MUC-based A330s feature new F. It's now your only option to travel real F across the atlantic. It's usually super easy to book LH F 14-days prior on YUL-MUC.
Good plan for the future (and will take note) - but doesn't help for tomorrow
Old Dec 30, 2012, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by mountainboy
Good plan for the future (and will take note) - but doesn't help for tomorrow
Yeah I suppose so You'll have a great time in LX J and you'll save a few hundred bucks too! Enjoy your trip!
Old Dec 30, 2012, 9:24 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold, UA MP
When does LX release J reward seats before a scheduled departure date? I'm hoping to upgrade from Y to J using *A reward upgrade since my mom is already in J on reward travel. I'm not travelling 'til 4/26.

Yes J on LX A333 is lie flat in staggered fashion. "A" seats are best followed by "K". Front section better than rear as it's more private.

Thanks!
GT
Old Dec 30, 2012, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by gtpdiddy
When does LX release J reward seats before a scheduled departure date? I'm hoping to upgrade from Y to J using *A reward upgrade since my mom is already in J on reward travel. I'm not travelling 'til 4/26.

Yes J on LX A333 is lie flat in staggered fashion. "A" seats are best followed by "K". Front section better than rear as it's more private.

Thanks!
GT
It's not as simple as "A or K" because it's a 1-2-1 // 2-2-1 configuration. The A seats are best when traveling alone but only in EVEN numbered rows (except 14, haha, because it's actually row 13, they appear to be superstitious). In ODD numbered rows there are 2 seats by the window. Then the K side.

Agreed, the mini-cabin (rows 4 and 5) is pretty sweet.

As for release schedule it's been discussed in the past, and you should do some searching. It appears to be closer to departure, but varies widely, and also by route. YUL-ZRH seems to be released further out, but it's kind of hard to tell...
Old Dec 30, 2012, 9:36 pm
Posting Legend, Moderator, Manufactured Spending

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by gtpdiddy
When does LX release J reward seats before a scheduled departure date?
As answered in this post it's one week.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 1:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tcook052
As answered in this post it's one week.
Whoa... I am behind in keeping up with the site. I just finished some trips on LX I had booked a long time ago.

So... this is the new way we're getting boned?

Can't book LX/F anymore at all, and LX J we can only book one week ahead?

They've got their own mini-alliance within Star Alliance now I guess.

Aeroplan of course becomes devalued yet again as that was the main use of my points, booking on Swiss. One week ahead is not enough time to plan a trip.

Also I'm finding it hard as hell to find Turkish flights out of Toronto to Istanbul in J.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 1:48 am

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
SQ has been like this too, if not worse. Now *A is no longer the best to redeem for F travel. OW may be better.

I am not a big fan of LX F. Only one washroom in the whole F cabin making it really unattractive.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jarusoba
Now *A is no longer the best to redeem for F travel.
Oh come on. There's lots of United F availability on their CRJ's.

Old Jan 1, 2013, 4:27 am

Programs: AY Plat, AA ExP, NH Gold, AMEX PLAT
ArcticBull is correct.
This started last year. I have flown LX F many times and sad to see I can no longer award travel that booking with AE. M&M only has access.

Originally Posted by arcticbull

Old Jan 1, 2013, 9:00 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by jarusoba

I am not a big fan of LX F. Only one washroom in the whole F cabin making it really unattractive.
Agreed that is annoying. But YUL-ZRH-YUL in F is normally almost empty anyway.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.