Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

A special offer for the Holiday Season

A special offer for the Holiday Season

Old Dec 28, 2012, 9:51 pm

Programs: Nexus
Originally Posted by Charli
Requested upgrade on AC33 approx. 90 mins after the Super Elite upgrade window "opened". Have over 110 e-upgrades in the account. Even with the front showing at least 20 empty seats (yes, I'm aware of the fact this is not necessarily a true picture of the load), was immediately waitlisted. Hmmmmmm........ Charli
How does one determine "R" when attempting to upgrade? I've never seen this shown on eups page.

Btw, first post to this site. I just earned SE for 2013 after years of just making E (barely). I won't be travelling as much in 2013 but plan to use knowledge garnered here to make the most of my year.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by cmgalan
How does one determine "R" when attempting to upgrade? I've never seen this shown on eups page.

Btw, first post to this site. I just earned SE for 2013 after years of just making E (barely). I won't be travelling as much in 2013 but plan to use knowledge garnered here to make the most of my year.
To determine R space, one needs to use a flight availability tool, such as FlightStats, ExpertFlyer, or KVS.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:45 am

Interestingly, I (an Elite) was able to upgrade my January 7 (8am ET) flight by logging into AC website this morning, despite it now being the 31st. So maybe this has been extended? Just a heads-up for everyone.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 3:45 pm

Programs: AC*E75, SPG Plat, Fairmont Premier
Same, I just confirmed an upgrade for a flight on Jan 7. Figured I should give it a shot just in case and it was worth the shot in the end! Thanks Air Canada
Old Dec 31, 2012, 5:47 pm

Programs: AC E75K; SPG Gold; IHG Ambassador; NEXUS
Me too. Just upgraded a TATL flight for Jan 7. Nice touch for the new year, and thanks to akqjt and yvrmylife for bringing this up!
Old Jan 1, 2013, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Nice! Was just able to upgrade a flight and there even was R availability.

Thanks for posting!^
Old Jan 1, 2013, 8:15 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Yep, still works 14 days out for SE as of the time of this post.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
Excellent, since the promo was supposed to expire on Dec 30th!

I have a flight on Jan 23rd, hope it's still working on the 9th!
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by drdrma
But everyone can request earlier, hence the exact same problem of limited supply.
I'm surprised that in this whole thread (which I hadn't seen earlier) nobody pointed out that there is a class of flier for whom this has a *huge* benefit. Those fliers booking between 7 and 14 days before their flight (or elites between 4 and 7 days).

Normally if you have plans 14 days prior and you're SE you would book a flight that appears to have space and cross your fingers it'll still be there in 7 days. You could wait 7 days and hope the price doesn't go up but that's a huge risk.

Instead with the promo you could book a flight with R space and upgrade immediately. That's a much different experience. If you booked 15+ days prior or <7 days prior then nothing really changed. but if you booked 7-14 days it would be a night and day difference.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:26 am

Programs: *G
My flights on Jan 13 and 14 are today showing 7 days for upgrade. Theoretically, I could have tried on Dec 30 for Jan 13, but would have been waitlisted anyway (and J=1, so not much chance). I don't have enough credits for all my Jan/Feb flights due to the non availability of 2013 credits so I am waiting for the flights with best availability.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:19 pm

Just checked an hour ago and where my return flight used to say I could not request upgrade until 7 days now says the normal 4. The system appears to have returned to normal state Ah well, I'm happy with confirming at least the outbound so far.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by zkzkz
I'm surprised that in this whole thread (which I hadn't seen earlier) nobody pointed out that there is a class of flier for whom this has a *huge* benefit. Those fliers booking between 7 and 14 days before their flight (or elites between 4 and 7 days).

Normally if you have plans 14 days prior and you're SE you would book a flight that appears to have space and cross your fingers it'll still be there in 7 days. You could wait 7 days and hope the price doesn't go up but that's a huge risk.

Instead with the promo you could book a flight with R space and upgrade immediately. That's a much different experience. If you booked 15+ days prior or <7 days prior then nothing really changed. but if you booked 7-14 days it would be a night and day difference.
I typically book in the 7-14 day time frame... but for this upcoming trip, I booked a bit earlier than normal so I could avoid for any possible delays on approval, ticketing, etc due to holidays.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.