Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan points actually have negative value..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplan points actually have negative value..

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by ariyo15
I laugh every time I read a comment like that. Of course, with set dates/times you're correct. But, with flexibility on your side I can assure you J is NOT hard to find. Even F isn't impossible, but J is certainly not hard.

PS - What was the though for redeeming for Y in the first place?
Wait a minute, are you saying my chances of redeeming for a J ticket improve if I'm super flexible!???? Garsh.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 9:04 pm

I laugh every time I read a comment like that. Of course, with set dates/times you're correct. But, with flexibility on your side I can assure you J is NOT hard to find. Even F isn't impossible, but J is certainly not hard.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ........ . ha ha....
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
So, in order to get a J ticket, be flexible and redeem to travel on the dates you cannot go or not planning to go. Problem solved. Should always be able to get J and F tickets.

People who cannot find tickets are just, inflexible.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by yscleo
So, in order to get a J ticket, be flexible and redeem to travel on the dates you cannot go or not planning to go. Problem solved. Should always be able to get J and F tickets.

People who cannot find tickets are just, inflexible.
Or poor planners...I have redeemed for 4-5 people for set dates on several occasions...but just waaaaay in advance...
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:36 am
Used to be highman123

Folks,

this is a silly discussion - of course there are poor value and high value redemptions. This is true for all programs.

I just redeemed in J on a SQ/UA/LH (shorthaul)/ TK and OZ with two stops +destination as mini-RTW. ITA prices this itinerary well over 20k, so its 15 cent per mile. My total YQ was <$50 for this redemption. I think there is still value in Aeroplan but you need to know what you are doing (like on Delta, which has some superb award options, and many terrible ones).
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by highman123
Folks,

this is a silly discussion - of course there are poor value and high value redemptions. This is true for all programs.

I just redeemed in J on a SQ/UA/LH (shorthaul)/ TK and OZ with two stops +destination as mini-RTW. ITA prices this itinerary well over 20k, so its 15 cent per mile. My total YQ was <$50 for this redemption. I think there is still value in Aeroplan but you need to know what you are doing (like on Delta, which has some superb award options, and many terrible ones).
another silly example............... ha ha ha ha
Old Nov 20, 2012, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
another silly example............... ha ha ha ha
You laugh but the only other way of pricing this is buying Z (closest to fare rules) roundtrips (Because Z fares are not available one ways) and throwing away half of the segments that you booked.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:39 am

AC J is essentially only available 11 months out. And the Y was an example of the typical Canadian consumer...

Originally Posted by hearna
You laugh but the only other way of pricing this is buying Z (closest to fare rules) roundtrips (Because Z fares are not available one ways) and throwing away half of the segments that you booked.
Wrong. Purchase miles at 3cpm @ aeroplan. That's the max value you can get people! Or even better, purchase miles from UA @ 2.05cpm.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by yerffej201

Wrong. Purchase miles at 3cpm @ aeroplan. That's the max value you can get people! Or even better, purchase miles from UA @ 2.05cpm.
This is very important.
For some reason, there are still people who buy AE points..... and then pay scamcharges when UA points can be had at 2cpm, and US, even cheaper!

I think there is a lot of the fear of the unknown and sticking with what you know in Canada that plays into this. Because logically, and mathematically, it makes zero sense for anyone to collect and redeem rewards with Aeroplan.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:54 pm

Programs: AC*E35 and decreasing
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I think there is a lot of the fear of the unknown and sticking with what you know in Canada that plays into this. Because logically, and mathematically, it makes zero sense for anyone to collect and redeem rewards with Aeroplan.
That's not true. I collect more than half my points with the CIBC Visa. If I switch to UA, I lose that opportunity. And the places where I spend the most money don't take AMEX.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by tinchote
That's not true. I collect more than half my points with the CIBC Visa. If I switch to UA, I lose that opportunity. And the places where I spend the most money don't take AMEX.
Thats not my point.

All of us have Aeroplan points from CCs and other things - I myself have gotten 120k in about 15 months without flight credit. This just further proves how cheap these points have become - if someone like me, can casually get 120k without flights in a year+ . It just proves that Aeroplan has ceased to be a frequent flyer program.

When crediting flights, or buying points - Aeroplan makes zero sense any more, unless you have a corporate bought Tango Plus fares, so you can hope to use your upgrades. A rational person would not pay T+ out of pocket to collect 100% AE points on a TPAC because of their extremely poor value.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:22 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott LTPP, Avis +
Just priced a trip from YYZ to Rome on AP:

90K points + ~$600 ($460 in fuel surcharge) for First class on Luthansa via FRA

On AA:
200K points + $120 for First class on AA via JFK

the fuel surcharge is crazy. I'm seriously thinking of switching
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:32 am

Someone did post an itinerary (perhaps a couple years ago), where the Aeroplan taxes and fees (i.e., scamcharges) exceeded the cost of the equivalent purchased WestJet ticket. That would be a definite negative-value case, I think.

I earn miles on MileagePlus, but use CCs and promotions to earn Aeroplan points.

25K + ~$100 for a ~$450-500 economy North American ticket has been my typical redemption method lately. Ostensible, J is a better value, but I'd rather have 2 tickets than 1, so I use my miles in Y.

Although I have not done this yet, it seems to me that it could often be a good deal to redeem 25K on an economy ticket, and go to New York or Chicago or wherever you can get one of those occasional ~$500 deals to Europe (like is currently the case with Istanbul). Then you spend 25K instead of 60K of points, and the cost of the ticket is still less than the Aeroplan scamcharges, and you earn points on your purchased ticket.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:46 am

Programs: UA 1K
I accrue all flight miles on MP but my cc is on AP. I've thought about signing up for the Chase Sapphire Preferred and using that cc up here in Canada - I have a US account which I can pay it off in. Anyone have any experiences accrueing MP points in Canada with a cc?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by ml262
I accrue all flight miles on MP but my cc is on AP. I've thought about signing up for the Chase Sapphire Preferred and using that cc up here in Canada - I have a US account which I can pay it off in. Anyone have any experiences accrueing MP points in Canada with a cc?
Wouldn't you have to pay foreign exchange fees (somewhere in the neighborhood of 2-3%) for using a Chase Sapphire card in Canada?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.