Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan points actually have negative value..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplan points actually have negative value..

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2012, 1:05 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WillTravel
Wouldn't you have to pay foreign exchange fees (somewhere in the neighborhood of 2-3%) for using a Chase Sapphire card in Canada?
Chase Sapphire Preferred does not change foreign exchange as one of the benefits.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 1:06 am

Programs: UA 1K
http://thepointsguy.com/2012/06/the-...nsaction-fees/
Old Nov 21, 2012, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by WillTravel

I earn miles on MileagePlus, but use CCs and promotions to earn Aeroplan points.

and the cost of the ticket is still less than the Aeroplan scamcharges, and you earn points on your purchased ticket.
That is excatly my strategy.
Until we have a UA card in Canada, AE is the easiest, and if used right, still can offer some value.

The 2nd line is exactly my point - the opportunity cost of not earning points is greater than the value you get by redeeming AE points + scamcharges, reaching the absurdity of the net equation actually being negative!!!
Old Nov 21, 2012, 7:01 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by rankourabu
That is excatly my strategy.
Until we have a UA card in Canada, AE is the easiest, and if used right, still can offer some value.

The 2nd line is exactly my point - the opportunity cost of not earning points is greater than the value you get by redeeming AE points + scamcharges, reaching the absurdity of the net equation actually being negative!!!
+1

Switched over to earning miles on UA, waiting for UA/US credit card to dump Aeroplan CC's(Don't use aerogold or aeroamex anyways. SPG/MR only).
Old Nov 21, 2012, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by anotheran2
Just priced a trip from YYZ to Rome on AP:

90K points + ~$600 ($460 in fuel surcharge) for First class on Luthansa via FRA

On AA:
200K points + $120 for First class on AA via JFK

the fuel surcharge is crazy. I'm seriously thinking of switching
Not sure I believe 90K for F, more like 125K...what are your dates?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:50 pm

I know you're just saying that as a general statement, but in case anyone was hoping/wishing/praying they could get Chase Sapphire or other US-based credit card, unless you have a US SSN, Canadians cannot get one as most, if not all, credit card applications require you to give your SSN or similar. If it was as easy as simply having US address to get a cc, we'd all dump the Canadian cards in a heartbeat

Originally Posted by ml262
Chase Sapphire Preferred does not change foreign exchange as one of the benefits.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by BradnerBoy
I know you're just saying that as a general statement, but in case anyone was hoping/wishing/praying they could get Chase Sapphire or other US-based credit card, unless you have a US SSN, Canadians cannot get one as most, if not all, credit card applications require you to give your SSN or similar. If it was as easy as simply having US address to get a cc, we'd all dump the Canadian cards in a heartbeat
I have a US SSN (dual citizen by birth). I don't have a US address, though. Is there a way to get the Chase Sapphire card in my case?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 6:35 pm
Suspended

Wouldn't having a US CC cause trouble as you would need to pay in US dollars and converting your can dollars would cost you at the bank.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ismellforyou
Wouldn't having a US CC cause trouble as you would need to pay in US dollars and converting your can dollars would cost you at the bank.
Unless the conversion is free, or under 2% - it would make no sense to earn miles - considering one can buy them at 2cpm from UA.

Anyway, I hope that this thread has demonstrated that Aeroplan has ceased to be a frequent flyer program - but a rewards program - and a lousy one at that - and if you are not careful - you are getting 1⁄4 cent value for a point - downright to negative value!
Old Nov 21, 2012, 6:54 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Our strategy is to work all the accumulation angles and only redeem for long F trips. So Aeroplan miles still work for us. Haven't had to pay big yet, although this was the most expensive so far as it's usually been ~$130 each for our previous F trips. I imagine it'll only get worse in 2014. A good sign is how the bastages excluded MR points from their annual December transfer bonus deal.

Caveat is that we find the best deal in the general Jan.-Mar. timeframe and then book our holiday, not the other way around. Well at least Mrs. Ronintech does, as I'm self employed so my boss always says yes.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RoninTech
Our strategy is to work all the accumulation angles and only redeem for long F trips. So Aeroplan miles still work for us.
How?? Isnt it 175k now for AE F awards? +$1000 in fees

US/UA rates are much lower.

And US miles sell for peanuts.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 8:34 pm

Our strategy is to work all the accumulation angles and only redeem for long F trips. So Aeroplan miles still work for us. Haven't had to pay big yet, although this was the most expensive so far as it's usually been ~$130 each for our previous F trips. I imagine it'll only get worse in 2014. A good sign is how the bastages excluded MR points from their annual December transfer bonus deal.

Caveat is that we find the best deal in the general Jan.-Mar. timeframe and then book our holiday, not the other way around. Well at least Mrs. Ronintech does, as I'm self employed so my boss always says yes.
How do you do that flying from Calgary I presume? I have been searching for a flight to Europe in late spring early summer 2013 to Europe for 2 months now and can not find J for two seats for all segments and for sure not on AC.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:46 pm

I showed how in the link to our upcoming trip in my post. If i could get free UA or other US miles for free, I'd certainly consider other options. However since we can't and we've still been able to avoid the $camcharges through patience and flexibility, AE still works for us.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:52 pm

I showed how in the link to our upcoming trip in my post. If i could get free UA or other US miles for free, I'd certainly consider other options. However since we can't and we've still been able to avoid the $camcharges through patience and flexibility, AE still works for us.
You did. How is UA F like i never used the airline.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
You did. How is UA F like i never used the airline.
They call the short border hop F but its not really. Its the longhaul flights that showcase an airlines true F. It ranks the lowest of those weve flown and im sure SQ wont dislodge it. That being said they are cheap if you cant find one of the better ones without the bogus gouging.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.