Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 18, 12, 6:54 pm   #16
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: YYC / YMM / PER
Programs: AC-E / SPG-P / DELTA-P+
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by hearna View Post
So you paid a lot more in scam charges in case SK goes under? WOW

If they did, and your flights got canceled you would have been re protected on AC flights for free....
Not at all - the pricing came out almost exactly the same no matter which airline I used - maybe a $5 difference.
WestonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 12, 6:55 pm   #17
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: YYZ/KRK
Programs: UA*1K, A3*G, AS MVPG, BA Silver, CX Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold,Carlson Gold,Choice Gold
Posts: 14,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestonC View Post
Not at all - the pricing came out almost exactly the same no matter which airline I used - maybe a $5 difference.
If you used SK TATL - you would have saved $600+
__________________
My FlightMemory 2012: 124972 BIS, 2013: 157973 BIS, 2014 YTD: 150619 All leisure travel 135 countries visited
rankourabu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 12, 6:59 pm   #18
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: YYC / YMM / PER
Programs: AC-E / SPG-P / DELTA-P+
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
wow.... an aeroplan agent's opinion just cost hundreds of dollars... simply WOW.

Aeroplan would have had to reprotect you on AC flight if SK went under - FOR FREE.


As for SAS - I am sure the presence of Norwegian - a far superior airline with much lower costs probably didnt help.

I'm guessing I didn't explain properly. My friend who lives in Sweden does not work for an airline - his opinion that SK will go under any day now is based on the news that he is hearing in Sweden and it was him that suggested I not book on SK. If they do go under then I would have had to rebook and I'm only there for 3 nights and don't want to be wasting time re-booking flights.

I chose to fly AC on the TATL portion even though it cost a bit more than flying via US and I could not find anything on a partner airline. Bear in mind this is all based on timing as I am only going for the weekend and it is a somewhat last minute booking so my aeroplan options were limited. The SK flights would have been between LHR or MUC or FRA, etc. and CPH. I simply chose to fly LH and SWISS because of my friend's opinion around SK. The timing was actually better on the flights I booked.

WestonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 12, 7:02 pm   #19
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: YYC / YMM / PER
Programs: AC-E / SPG-P / DELTA-P+
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
If you used SK TATL - you would have saved $600+
SK was not available on the TATL portion on the aeroplan website and I didn't have time to call in and wait on hold for 24 hours. (LOL)

If it saved me $600 then they would have been paying me as my total cost was just under $600. LOL
WestonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 12, 7:05 pm   #20
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: YYZ
Programs: LH SEN/BA Gold/SPG Gold/HH Gold/Accor Plat/IC Plat Ambassador
Posts: 4,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestonC View Post
SK was not available on the TATL portion on the aeroplan website and I didn't have time to call in and wait on hold for 24 hours. (LOL)

If it saved me $600 then they would have been paying me as my total cost was just under $600. LOL
Transferring in ZRH rather than EWR would be worth the extra $600 to me. But that is just me
Crampedin13A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 12, 7:12 pm   #21
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: YYZ/KRK
Programs: UA*1K, A3*G, AS MVPG, BA Silver, CX Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold,Carlson Gold,Choice Gold
Posts: 14,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A View Post
Transferring in ZRH rather than EWR would be worth the extra $600 to me. But that is just me
And transferring in EWR over FRA would do it for me

hmmm... lets see... flat beds with no scamcharges ... or ... pay extra to fly LH super slidey seats....
__________________
My FlightMemory 2012: 124972 BIS, 2013: 157973 BIS, 2014 YTD: 150619 All leisure travel 135 countries visited
rankourabu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 12, 7:12 pm   #22
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: YYZ-HKT-CWL
Programs: aeroplan E .HH.
Posts: 892
DUH! Got award tic via CPH, SK .

Booked sweet award in Biz. X2. Jan 2013 .AC yyz-muc,SKmuc- cph,TGcph-hkt,TGhkt-bkk,TGbkk-akl,NZakl-nrt,LHnrt-fra,ACfra-yyz. If SK goes change now to LH?$150x 2 change fee or wait and then?
thaidai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 12, 7:16 pm   #23
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: YYZ/KRK
Programs: UA*1K, A3*G, AS MVPG, BA Silver, CX Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold,Carlson Gold,Choice Gold
Posts: 14,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaidai View Post
Booked sweet award in Biz. X2. Jan 2013 .AC yyz-muc,SKmuc- cph,TGcph-hkt,TGhkt-bkk,TGbkk-akl,NZakl-nrt,LHnrt-fra,ACfra-yyz. If SK goes change now to LH?$150x 2 change fee or wait and then?
why would you pay to change (IMO, you already paid AC enough scamcharges - my guesstimate is your bill was about $1000?)... you only have one SK segment, that is also operated by another airline (LH) - you have nothing to worry about.
__________________
My FlightMemory 2012: 124972 BIS, 2013: 157973 BIS, 2014 YTD: 150619 All leisure travel 135 countries visited
rankourabu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 12, 7:18 pm   #24
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: YYC / YMM / PER
Programs: AC-E / SPG-P / DELTA-P+
Posts: 358
I tried flying out of ORD, IAH, EWR, JFK - none had availabablity on anything other than US, UA, CO, etc. and again - the price was within $5-$10 - so not worth it.

Last weekend I flew on ANA from SEA to NRT to try the new 787 and their charges were almost as high as AC doing YYC-NRT. Not all the other airlines have lower rates.

But I do know where you are coming from as I usually do try to use metal other than AC or LH on overseas legs.
WestonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 12, 7:20 pm   #25
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: YYZ
Programs: LH SEN/BA Gold/SPG Gold/HH Gold/Accor Plat/IC Plat Ambassador
Posts: 4,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
And transferring in EWR over FRA would do it for me

hmmm... lets see... flat beds with no scamcharges ... or ... pay extra to fly LH super slidey seats....
But WestonC is flying TATL from FRA on AC. But you are correct about the LH seats. Like many LH SEN I never fly LH long haul , however LX is another very nice alternative.
Crampedin13A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 12, 7:21 pm   #26
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: YYZ/KRK
Programs: UA*1K, A3*G, AS MVPG, BA Silver, CX Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold,Carlson Gold,Choice Gold
Posts: 14,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestonC View Post

But I do know where you are coming from as I usually do try to use metal other than AC or LH on overseas legs.
well if you are stuck, you are stuck

Sadly, ANA is also subject to Air Canada collecting scamcharges on them.

Crampedin13A - LX is a perfect alternative without scamcharges - the only TATL airline from Canada without scamcharges. LOT's scamcharges are <$200 from YYZ on flat bed 787s, and then you have LH/OS/AC which will hit your pocket.
__________________
My FlightMemory 2012: 124972 BIS, 2013: 157973 BIS, 2014 YTD: 150619 All leisure travel 135 countries visited
rankourabu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 12, 7:27 pm   #27
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: YYZ
Programs: LH SEN/BA Gold/SPG Gold/HH Gold/Accor Plat/IC Plat Ambassador
Posts: 4,183
Will definitely be trying out LO's 787 next year. Although it does mean backtracking a bit to most of the German cities I go to. Although TXL/BER will be just as close as MUC,FRA or ZRH from WAW.
Crampedin13A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 12, 7:34 pm   #28
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: YYC / YMM / PER
Programs: AC-E / SPG-P / DELTA-P+
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A View Post
Will definitely be trying out LO's 787 next year. Although it does mean backtracking a bit to most of the German cities I go to. Although TXL/BER will be just as close as MUC,FRA or ZRH from WAW.
I was really impressed with the ANA 787. I was not tired at all after flying to NRT. On the return flight I slept 6 hours and I rarely sleep on planes - unless in a bed flying to Australia LOL.

The 787 really does make a difference in the fatigue thing.


This weekend I'm flying YMM/YYZ to take some folks from work to Grey Cup. AC now uses an A320. I was told by someone who just arrived on it that it still uses the old 2 prong jacks for headsets so nobody was able to watch the inflight entertainment. So be sure to pack those 2 prong connectors with you if travelling on AC A320. I'll confirm this weekend.
WestonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 12, 7:41 pm   #29
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: YYZ/KRK
Programs: UA*1K, A3*G, AS MVPG, BA Silver, CX Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold,Carlson Gold,Choice Gold
Posts: 14,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A View Post
Will definitely be trying out LO's 787 next year. Although it does mean backtracking a bit to most of the German cities I go to. Although TXL/BER will be just as close as MUC,FRA or ZRH from WAW.
yeah, and award space is pretty good from YYZ.
I have it booked for July next year ... business class looks amazing - and with a dedicated fleet of specially trained FAs as well.
__________________
My FlightMemory 2012: 124972 BIS, 2013: 157973 BIS, 2014 YTD: 150619 All leisure travel 135 countries visited
rankourabu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 12, 7:47 pm   #30
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: YYZ
Programs: LH SEN/BA Gold/SPG Gold/HH Gold/Accor Plat/IC Plat Ambassador
Posts: 4,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestonC View Post
I was really impressed with the ANA 787. I was not tired at all after flying to NRT. On the return flight I slept 6 hours and I rarely sleep on planes - unless in a bed flying to Australia LOL.

The 787 really does make a difference in the fatigue thing.


This weekend I'm flying YMM/YYZ to take some folks from work to Grey Cup. AC now uses an A320. I was told by someone who just arrived on it that it still uses the old 2 prong jacks for headsets so nobody was able to watch the inflight entertainment. So be sure to pack those 2 prong connectors with you if travelling on AC A320. I'll confirm this weekend.
Should be a perfect Grey Cup with today's results. YMM-YYZ must be some very pricey tickets.
Crampedin13A is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:04 am.