Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Edmonton woman sues Air Canada over ‘scalding’ water spill

Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:01 pm
7E7
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E75

I wonder if the other passenger was named in lawsuit too?

These lawsuits always bother me, don't tea and coffee usually involve hot water? is it not common sense that hot water can burn? Is there not a responsibility for individual, it is not like the FA was providing service with malice!
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:26 pm
Posting Legend, Moderator, Manufactured Spending

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by 7E7
These lawsuits always bother me, don't tea and coffee usually involve hot water? is it not common sense that hot water can burn? Is there not a responsibility for individual, it is not like the FA was providing service with malice!
There's hot and then there's scalding hot and the temperature and it being served without a lid seem to be the basis of the lawsuit.

BTW while the passenger may be from YEG the flight surely wasn't as there are no nonstop AC mainline flights from here to SFO.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tcook052
There's hot and then there's scalding hot
That's what made the difference in the McDonald's case many years ago. The coffee was at a temperature that would have been unsafe to consume.

I'm not sure about in this case. Either way, I'm always nervous on flights. So many times I've had a laptop out, and they offer me a drink, and pour from a can into a wide topped cup. I usually just ask for the can to minimize possible spills. Tea is obviously a different situation, but I'm never confident enough to drink something like that on an airplane.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:36 pm

Post traumatic stress disorder, depression, anxiety and panic attacks over spilt hot water?

Gotta be kidding me.......
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
Post traumatic stress disorder, depression, anxiety and panic attacks over spilt hot water?

You ought to see the crap people put into Worker's Comp suits. A sore finger has the same effects.

I blame the carrion sharks, er, lawyers.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:57 pm

Programs: CX Gold, AC Elite, SPG, IHG Plat, AMEX Plat
Sounds like a graduate of the Quebecois who sued for the "Sprite" incident on AC. Ban them from flying with such stupidity.

Originally Posted by 7E7

Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA Silv, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,
Its typically to much to just ask for tepid coffee, never mind hot
Old Nov 14, 2012, 3:29 am

OK... given that water visibly boils (and can be heated no further) at LOWER temperatures at LOWER presures/higher altitudes...

and.. given that a/c cabins are typically pressurised to..what? 8000 ft?

Just what temp is possible onboard?

And does it constitute "scalding"?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess if one wants to sue, one can. But why does the press have to pick up these silly non-stories?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by trooper
OK... given that water visibly boils (and can be heated no further) at LOWER temperatures at LOWER presures/higher altitudes...

and.. given that a/c cabins are typically pressurised to..what? 8000 ft?

Just what temp is possible onboard?

And does it constitute "scalding"?
At 8000 ft, the boiling point of water is about 92 degrees C. Even if the liquid in question was cooler than that, it could well have caused scalding. Household water heaters, for example, have a recommended setting of 55 degrees C, which can cause scalding within four seconds, while 60 degrees C will cause third-degree burns in less than that.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by 7E7

..On Nov. 5, Rema Halabi was a passenger on a flight to San Francisco and ordered tea during the drink service, according to the claim. A stewardess then placed a cup of “scalding hot water” to make the tea on Halabi’s tray. The water fell into her lap when the passenger in front of her leaned back and jarred the tray...
How is AC to blame when all the FA did was to place the drink on tray? Shouldn't Rema have sued the other passenger instead?

I can see AC eventually serving tepid warm water in the future.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 9:55 am

Programs: AC SE100K
FA puts hot cup on tray ... Smart person would put hand on cup to ensure hot water does not spill all over themselves..

At what point in life do people take responsibility for themselves? I hate people sometimes..
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:21 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Nope, not over spilt water, just the normal reaction flying AC sometimes...

plus headaches, high blood pressure, with occasional gastro, diarrhea, hallucinations, strained voice and empty pocket book syndrome.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond

And you forgot, rude FA
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
How is AC to blame when all the FA did was to place the drink on tray? Shouldn't Rema have sued the other passenger instead?

I can see AC eventually serving tepid warm water in the future.

The passenger business is with the airline. She would have no status suing another passenger. That would be for AC to pursue.

(Not that I support the silliness.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.