Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Flights more expensive on the AC app than on line!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob

Just booked a YYZ-CUN-YYZ flight using the iPad app for Jan using a 15% discount code. I used the app because of the 500 bonus AE miles. (Yeah, I know. )

It looks like the app doesn't take the full 15% off. The total cost for my flights was $555.31, but if I had booked online, it would have cost me $547.31. So I paid an $8 scam charge for a lousy 500 aeropennies.

I will be complaining to AC, but buyer beware!
Old Nov 12, 2012, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I figured out that the prices on the app were $274 and $204 for my flights, while they were $269 and $199 respectively online.

A new low for AC with their nickel and diming.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 1:44 pm
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

How else will they pay for smartphone app development?
Old Nov 12, 2012, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
I m sure its just collected on behalf of the developer by Air Canada -
because the developer asked them to due to increasing costs of fu... err development.

Old Nov 12, 2012, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well they are wasting their money.

The AC app is nothing more than a glorified calendar full of corrupted data (duplicate reservations with jumbled PNRs).

OTOH, the UA app is fantastic. You can actually see where you are on the upgrade waitlist so there are no false expectations.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by margarita girl

OTOH, the UA app is fantastic. You can actually see where you are on the upgrade waitlist so there are no false expectations.
Facts are not allowed in this forum I learned.

No way anything UA can be better than AC.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 3:21 pm

Programs: AC.SE
I don't fly UA all that much, but I still have the app for when I do. And yes, it's a nice one.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 8:36 pm

Programs: AC E50K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, SPG, Fairmont PC
I have used the app on my iphone a few times now. Have found price differences going both ways, and managed to grab some cheaper fares on the app, with bonus miles which have appeared in my account. No bungled reservations, either My biggest complaints are that you can't see seat availability before booking on the app, and also can only book a one-way or return flight but nothing multi-city (which matters price-wise if flying internationally). Otherwise, happy, but buyer beware and check both sources for price!
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:08 pm

Just booked a YYZ-CUN-YYZ flight using the iPad app for Jan using a 15% discount code. I used the app because of the 500 bonus AE miles. (Yeah, I know. )

It looks like the app doesn't take the full 15% off. The total cost for my flights was $555.31, but if I had booked online, it would have cost me $547.31. So I paid an $8 scam charge for a lousy 500 aeropennies.

I will be complaining to AC, but buyer beware!
Isn't that like the orbitz thing where mac user were charged more?
I know with grocery shopping, price differences are illegal. Not with flight prices? (I know it isn't the best parallel, but close enough)
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:26 pm

YQ = Carrier Convenience Charge
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:56 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)
I figured out that the prices on the app were $274 and $204 for my flights, while they were $269 and $199 respectively online.

A new low for AC with their nickel and diming.
I noticed this one time when simply shopping for fares on my iPhone. I found it was harder to find the cheapest fare. In addition, not as many different flight options (and corresponding fares) were displayed. This was my first and last time using the iPhone to shop and book...I like the variety and clarity of the website.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:51 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by KenHamer
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

How else will they pay for smartphone app development?
What 'development'?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Can it get worse?

Oh yes! Tried to cancel the flight I booked last night on the app and cannot cancel on the app or online. I'm in ZRH using my iPad and don't have Skype loaded, so had to email a friend in Cda to call in and cancel my reservation.

AC you are so hopeless.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 6:59 am

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by yerffej201
Isn't that like the orbitz thing where mac user were charged more?
I don't think Orbitz was charging Mac users more for the same hotels; they were just listing higher-priced hotels at the top of their lists on a Mac than on a PC. Nothing illegal about that; in fact, it's using whatever minimal demographic information you have about the customer to target what they may be more likely to be interested in.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 7:18 am

Oh yes! Tried to cancel the flight I booked last night on the app and cannot cancel on the app or online. I'm in ZRH using my iPad and don't have Skype loaded, so had to email a friend in Cda to call in and cancel my reservation.

AC you are so hopeless.
Thankfully 1-2 airlines besides AC fly YYZCUN daily. No need to deal with this, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.