Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Onboard Compensation

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
Air Canada is very cheap with compensation in general. In my opinion, it is one of the worst things about them as an airline.

I think something in the 10,000 to 25,000 miles range would have been more suitable - and you probably wouldn't have been prompted to ask the question you did.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 3:26 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K; Marriott Titanium; NEXUS
By way of comparison, I recently complained about poor advice I received about the ability to do same-day change on a TATL flight (spent a bunch of time at the airport/on the phone with various people who were of absolutely no benefit/help--including a Concierge(?!)) and got 1,000 non-status miles.

In addition, I had a broken pod seat (needed to be manually adjusted--was given the green form) and am still waiting to see what they'll give. I put in for the future travel credit instead of the miles--happy to have done so now, since the miles are really not worth much anymore anyway, and likely wouldn't have gotten very many based what folks are saying in this post.

To the OP, I would suggest going back and at least asking to be reimbursed for the cleaning. Not sure that receipts are necessary, but just tell them what a reasonable amount would be and I think it should be settled without too much issue.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 3:35 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
You should at least received $ compensation (or voucher) for the dry cleaning and the supposedly damaged shoes (and clothing?), in addition to any points.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Good grief. I never ask for miles. Always ask for cash on those green forms. I have never received less than $50 and often $75-100. Once for a broken seat on an int'l flight, I got $500.

You can buy miles from AC for $0.03, so 1000 miles is $30 if you were buying them, which no one in their right mind would do.

OP, this compensation is completely inadequate and a slap in the face for the discomfort you endured.

yvr76, the green form states what the problem is.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 6:21 pm

Programs: AC 100KSE
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Good grief. I never ask for miles. Always ask for cash on those green forms. I have never received less than $50 and often $75-100. Once for a broken seat on an int'l flight, I got $500.

You can buy miles from AC for $0.03, so 1000 miles is $30 if you were buying them, which no one in their right mind would do.

OP, this compensation is completely inadequate and a slap in the face for the discomfort you endured.

yvr76, the green form states what the problem is.
I agree with this. I got $500 last year for a seat that the flight attendant had to adjust for me. 1000 miles is inadequate.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Lots of good data points in the replies and hopefully this gets resolved without too much hassle.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cjavan
Thanks everyone. Lots of good data points in the replies and hopefully this gets resolved without too much hassle.
SE and E get different levels of compensation sometimes.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:38 am

Programs: AC*SE HHgold
Here are the compensations I got in the last few years in chronological order:

failed IFE on a 15 hours flight in J: $200 voucher
failed IFE on a 4 hours flight in J: $150 voucher
another failed IFE on a 15 hours flight in J: 5% off next travel
failed pod on a 15 hours flight in J: $5% off next travel
response to medical emergency: 20,000 status miles.

It seems that AC is not giving out voucher but 5% discount now.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 1:08 pm

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
IIRC the green form i got for broken AVOD did not have a cash option .. only miles. are there 2 types ?
Old Nov 8, 2012, 2:34 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K; Marriott Titanium; NEXUS
Originally Posted by karachi
IIRC the green form i got for broken AVOD did not have a cash option .. only miles. are there 2 types ?
The one I filled out a few weeks ago made me choose between AE miles and a "future travel credit".
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:20 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Needle Hill
It seems that AC is not giving out voucher but 5% discount now.
Not true. I just today received a $150 voucher for a malfunctioning IFE in J.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:07 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
This is awesome. You guys get 3,000 miles for no inflight entertainment? I am deaf so I don't have any inflight entertainment, ever, on AC. I should start filing those cards! Maybe they would start buying the rights to captions that already exist for the shows they play.
I usually put the map on but several times (including TATL) even that's crapped out on me. Never occurred to ask for compensation. Hmmm
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:37 pm

Back in 2009 I flew SYD-YVR in J on a reward ticket. I was SE at the time. The SD accidentally spilled a drink on me.

AC reimbursed me for my cleaning expenses (cheque) and an eMCO for future travel (can't remember if it was $100 or $200).
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YEG USER
Back in 2009 I flew SYD-YVR in J on a reward ticket. I was SE at the time. The SD accidentally spilled a drink on me.

AC reimbursed me for my cleaning expenses (cheque) and an eMCO for future travel (can't remember if it was $100 or $200).
If I had some water spilled on me, I'd ask for a towel (but I'd accept anything offered).

If something like orange juice was spilled on me... that's another matter. I often don't bring more than the exact clothes I'll need on short trips, and for me, the inconvenience of getting something (even a t-shirt) cleaned is worth more than the cost of it.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by karachi
As YQMer said, it's not cash but a travel credit. You can apply it to any flight in the future. I used the term "cash" loosely as opposed to "points". All green forms have the choice of both, and there is only one green form as far as I know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.