Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Some updates about changes on aircanada.com this week

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2012, 3:09 pm
No longer with Air Canada
Original Poster

Hi everyone

Early last Tuesday morning, we completed a technical release to aircanada.com which introduced some changes (along with one or two unexpected glitches) that have raised a lot of questions.

Some items that we want to clarify for all of you:
  • Introduction of Tango fares on flights between Canada and Europe, Israel & South America. We introduced Tango fares to these markets on October 16, expanding upon a change we made last year to introduce these fares on flights between Canada and Asia & Australia. With the introduction of Tango fares on these markets, we have also transitioned booking classes T, L and K from Tango Plus to Tango on all international flights between Canada and Europe, Israel, South America, Asia & Australia. Note that booking classes T, L and K will remain Tango Plus for flights within Canada, or between Canada and the United States & Sun markets (Mexico, the Caribbean & Central America).

• Maintaining your upgrade and mileage accumulation eligibility for reservations prior to October 16. With this change, in order to maintain your eUpgrade eligibility, the international reservations (including any connecting segments) of Air Canada Elite and Super Elite members booked in classes T, L and K prior to October 16 were rebooked into a Tango Plus class. Note that this rebooking should be completed by the end of the weekend. Additionally, all Air Canada Top Tier and Aeroplan members will earn 100% Status Miles for these international reservations made prior to October 16.

• Introduction of Tango fares on flights between Canada and the United States. We have introduced Tango fares to the U.S. at even more competitive price points; however, these fares are only available on leisure markets (as pointed out, mostly for travel to Florida, Hawaii and Las Vegas). We have been double-checking to ensure that fares have not been incorrectly filed on other markets, and it appears that everything is working as expected. Note that, in an improvement versus today, Tango fares on flights between Canada and the United States will earn 50% Status Miles, as opposed to 25% non-status Aeroplan Miles.

• Issues with our Display Fares Eligible for Upgrade Feature. With the introduction of these changes, the Display Upgrade Eligible Fares feature was inadvertently impacted. We are still encountering some issues with this feature which we are working to fix as soon as possible. In the meantime, however, as always, if you are eligible to upgrade from any Tango Plus fare based on the Top Tier status you hold, you can book with confidence on aircanada.com knowing that any fare you pick in the Tango Plus column will be eligible for an upgrade with eUpgrade Credits, even without using the Display Upgrade Eligible Fares feature.

• Changes to Latitude fares. One of the changes that was introduced this week on aircanada.com was the removal of our special, web-only Latitude fares. Based on your feedback, we will be reintroducing them from early next week. In the meantime, later today you can expect to see Latitude fares in price ranges to which you are more accustomed in key markets so that you do not need to wait until Monday for new reservations.
This is an update as to where we’re at right now. Should anyone identify additional discrepancies, don’t hesitate to identify them to us via PM and we will review them.

Have a great weekend.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 3:36 pm

Location: YYC; would like to return to living in SIN (or PER)
Programs: SQ KF, QFF
Originally Posted by Air Canada Top Tier
Hi everyone

Early last Tuesday morning, we completed a technical release to aircanada.com which introduced some changes (along with one or two unexpected glitches) that have raised a lot of questions.

Some items that we want to clarify for all of you:
  • Introduction of Tango fares on flights between Canada and Europe, Israel & South America. We introduced Tango fares to these markets on October 16, expanding upon a change we made last year to introduce these fares on flights between Canada and Asia & Australia. With the introduction of Tango fares on these markets, we have also transitioned booking classes T, L and K from Tango Plus to Tango on all international flights between Canada and Europe, Israel, South America, Asia & Australia. Note that booking classes T, L and K will remain Tango Plus for flights within Canada, or between Canada and the United States & Sun markets (Mexico, the Caribbean & Central America).
  • [*]
  • [*]
Well, it doesn't benefit me, but I'm sure there are those who will benefit, so ... OK, then, +1 to you.

This is an update as to where we’re at right now. Should anyone identify additional discrepancies, don’t hesitate to identify them to us via PM and we will review them.

Have a great weekend.
Don't have any discrepancies to report, and, based on other posters' reports, expressing displeasure with the main change will get PR boilerplate in response, so I won't bother sending a PM about that.

TB-ES
Old Oct 19, 2012, 3:41 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Well luckily we all have our own voice here on FT.

I do not echo the above comments and thank you for committing to re-instating web discounted Latitude. This was the only logical move IMO.

Dorian
Old Oct 19, 2012, 3:56 pm

Location: YYC; would like to return to living in SIN (or PER)
Programs: SQ KF, QFF
Originally Posted by Dorian

I do not echo the above comments and thank you for committing to re-instating web discounted Latitude. This was the only logical move IMO.

Dorian
Suum cuique. I've no doubt that the web-discounted Latitude may be useful to some; it doesn't affect me or my choices at all. Still, AC does deserve some (limited) credit for responding to customer feedback.

And if you support the introduction of Tango fares to all international destinations, well then, all I can say is that I don't echo those comments.

TB-ES
Old Oct 19, 2012, 3:59 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by The Blue-Eyed Sheikh
Suum cuique. I've no doubt that the web-discounted Latitude may be useful to some; it doesn't affect me or my choices at all. Still, AC does deserve some (limited) credit for responding to customer feedback.

And if you support the introduction of Tango fares to all international destinations, well then, all I can say is that I don't echo those comments.

TB-ES
Ya, couldn't care less about Tango fares.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 4:11 pm
No longer with Air Canada
Original Poster

Hi again,

We'll be posting the following notice concerning our Display Fares Eligible for Upgrade Feature on Aircanada.com later this evening. It further clarifies the steps that our Top Tier members need to take to book upgradeable fares.

Air Canada Super Elite and Elite members continue to be eligible to use their eUpgrade Credits when purchasing any Tango Plus booking class on all eligible Air Canada flights, regardless of what results appear when using the Display Fares Eligible for an Upgrade tool.

Air Canada Prestige members continue to be eligible to use their eUpgrade Credits with all Tango Plus booking classes for travel within Canada, and between Canada and the United States & Sun destinations, and from Tango Plus (M class) for international destinations. Air Canada Prestige members should ensure they are booking an eligible booking class when reviewing their Flight Details page.

We apologize for any inconvenience and are working to restore this feature as soon as possible.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Too Late, Too Little
Old Oct 19, 2012, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Too Late, Too Little
+1
Old Oct 19, 2012, 4:41 pm
alc

Note that, in an improvement versus today, Tango fares on flights between Canada and the United States will earn 50% Status Miles, as opposed to 25% non-status Aeroplan Miles.
That is what I thought what I saw 50% status miles yesterday.

Thanks for the summary and the info.

I hope AC Management will strongly consider providing information before they are introduce next time.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 4:52 pm

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
Just to clarify for those of us in cities without direct AC US flights, the Canadian connecting flights in Tango class are non-status, 25%-mile-earning flights, so e.g. if I fly YQR-YYZ-MCO, I get one status segment, 25% miles on the YQR-YYZ segment and 50% status miles on the YYZ-MCO segment.

I sure hope Air Canada plans for these fares to be lower-priced than United, otherwise it will make far more sense to fly UA and get 100% status miles on both segments. (Ironically, my AC*P status gives me better benefits on UA than it does on AC, e.g. early boarding. It's true that I can't upgrade to better seats for free but I seem to get for-cost upgrades offered more often now that I have status, and the prices are always pretty reasonable (e.g. $99 DEN-LAS last May at check-in, $297 return DEN-SAN for next February offered at purchase).

I have no problems with any of these changes *if* Tango fares are cheaper than superior competitive offerings and equally priced or cheaper to similar competitive offerings. Right now, United's Canada-US and Canada-International flights are superior in benefits and we'll see soon how the fares pan out.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 5:02 pm

To bad AC cant or wont fix many of the other "Updates" they have implemented in the last year or two.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 5:06 pm

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Too Late, Too Little
+1

In French the AC approach to solve business issues is sometimes called: broche ŕ foin.

Sorry, AC, you have lost quite a bit of credibility and cannot apologize enough. The damage is done!
Old Oct 19, 2012, 5:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold

....Air Canada Elite and Super Elite members booked in classes T, L and K prior to October 16 were rebooked into a Tango Plus class.
Still waiting to be rebooked. T-4 today (YVR-LHR 23OCT). Who cares anyway....R is eternally zero.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 5:24 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by Dorian

Dorian
Don't worry. They'll try it again. I remember when they "field tested" the first LMU on a LHR route. It was kept hush-hush and after a few folks posted about it, AC promised it was a "one time only" thing and wouldn't roll out systemwide. Yeah, right.

The move to new Latitude pricing was the stupidest move AC could make. I guess they forgot to take real competition into account.

You've seen the writing.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 5:29 pm

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Haven't rebooked me yet either.

Sort of reminds me of the abusive spouse asking the other back - they WILL do it again, just as they have in the past... repeatedly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.