Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New Maple Leaf Lounge opens September 24, 2012 at New York - LaGuardia Airport (LGA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Maple Leaf Lounge opens September 24, 2012 at New York - LaGuardia Airport (LGA)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
For those of us who have AMEX Platinum (or the others with and AMEX Centurion) card, would we have access (airside?) to the AMEX Centurion lounge?
If so, and with limited time, would that not be the preferable lounge, rather than the MLL lounge?
Old Sep 21, 2014, 12:56 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
For those of us who have AMEX Platinum (or the others with and AMEX Centurion) card, would we have access (airside?) to the AMEX Centurion lounge?
If so, and with limited time, would that not be the preferable lounge, rather than the MLL lounge?
You will have access, and from what I've read it is indeed a MUCH better lounge. Just note that a) it is landside similar to the MLL, and b) it's probably about a 5 minute hike from AC's A gates.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:03 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
This new MLL lounge in LGA is one of the least attractive or well supplied lounges in the MLL inventory. It feels like a large empty room which is poor designed. It is a disaster and not worth the time of day to go up there. I have been there many times not that the UAL lounge was much better in LGA..

One of my constant gripes is that bozos sit at the few computer stations with their own laptops and monopolize these stations. This is very disrespectful to those of us who wish to use the MLL computers. LGA is one of the worst offenders second to YUL in my humble experience.

How does one get these bozos out of the few computer terminals to the other stations that are easily available to them. A little sign which AC has installed simply does not work.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question

I agree with you about the bozos. I have confronted them directly (not in LGA) and generally they are not even aware they are blocking computer access! (A higher level of myopia?)

But I want to learn more about the renovated MLL? Empty? That's good, no? Well supplied? That's been my experience as well! How does this make it the least attractive lounge? Compared to what?

IF this lounge has declined since the renos, I want to know and I will go to the UCC. But your post is not very definitive IMO.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 12:24 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I agree with you about the bozos. I have confronted them directly (not in LGA) and generally they are not even aware they are blocking computer access! (A higher level of myopia?)

But I want to learn more about the renovated MLL? Empty? That's good, no? Well supplied? That's been my experience as well! How does this make it the least attractive lounge? Compared to what?

IF this lounge has declined since the renos, I want to know and I will go to the UCC. But your post is not very definitive IMO.
The lounge isn't bad - it tends to be quiet (except when there's a winter storm and half the flights are cancelled) and its clean. In general, I prefer it to the UA lounge. Food selection is better than UA - soup, salad, chips. The only reason I'd go to the UA lounge is if I wanted to pay for premium beer/ wine.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: US Air, Flying Blue, United, Air Canada, Aeromexico
Now, to answer to my own questions, I was at this MLL lounge yesterday, it was OK, not very crowded, soup, salad, tea, coffee, wine, beer or spirits at the bar (you have to ask for them to be given to you), some cake for desert or biscotti or fruits. The thing is I got my passes for free, so I don't think it's worth to go there and pay the $50 for a pass per person ($100 if you have a companion) just for some stuff that is not out of the ordinary, and especially if you are only going to spend about 1 or 2 hours there.
Security indeed not far from the lounge and I also could get my boarding passes printed by the lady at the lounge front desk so that I could make use of my TSA Pre (web passes are not good for that matter). And not to forget, yes, Wi-Fi sucks , it is very slow, or at least it was very slow for me.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by ticu
And not to forget, yes, Wi-Fi sucks , it is very slow, or at least it was very slow for me.
Yes - wifi is pretty bad. I find myself tethering to my iPhone a lot.

Anyone know if wifi is better in the UC?
Old Jan 27, 2015, 1:08 pm

Ah, the joys of LGA

I have been flying Porter to EWR almost exclusively for the past 5 years. Had the joy of taking AC this past weekend. Check-in agent couldn't have been any more miserable if they tried. Went to the lounge...wow, that was an experience. On the bright side, there is at least a lounge but with 72 persons (or was it 76?) capacity, I can imagine it gets pretty crowded in there. Too dark and dingy - lasted 5 minutes and went off to the Amex lounge.

I feel for the people who have to do that commute weekly....
Old Jan 27, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question what did you expect??

Originally Posted by yyz-kin
I have been flying Porter to EWR almost exclusively for the past 5 years. Had the joy of taking AC this past weekend. Check-in agent couldn't have been any more miserable if they tried. Went to the lounge...wow, that was an experience. On the bright side, there is at least a lounge but with 72 persons (or was it 76?) capacity, I can imagine it gets pretty crowded in there. Too dark and dingy - lasted 5 minutes and went off to the Amex lounge.

I feel for the people who have to do that commute weekly....
What were you expecting??

Seriously, Porter does not have a lounge at EWR. So you went to LGA, used the MLL, & now you are kvetching that they were not nice? Its New York, what did you expect??

Dark & dingy? What time of day were you there? (They have windows). They also have:
- 2 computer terminals;
- cold breakfast & lunch (soup, salad) options;
- complimentary newspapers, magazines;
- latte/espresso coffee machine.

What other lounges have you visited at LGA with your Amex card? Care to compare?

ps Once you do, post your findings. I would be interested in reading them!
Old Jan 27, 2015, 3:15 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Antonio8069

What other lounges have you visited at LGA with your Amex card? Care to compare?
Porter does have a lounge at EWR. At LGA, there is a AMEX Centurion lounge down the hall, which I've heard is pretty nice.

I do agree that MLL is a bit dark, could use more lighting, and the wifi is painfully slow, but food and drinks is much nicer than United club.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 9:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
The only time I've been to the LGA MLL, the staff were not only friendly, but fun. We talked multiple times in my 90 minute stay. They made me laugh on several occasions. They gave me good advice on where to get some food that was more filling than the lounge offerings.

I have had two better experiences than my stay at LGA.

1. YWG during Earn Your Wings. But I was there roughly 10 times in 9 days.
2. YYZ international while waiting for a friend coming in on UA. The concierge was absolutely incredible at making me feel like a top tier customer. She broke the rules for me. She gave me perfect advice. She did everything she could to give make my trip perfect.

So don't bash LGA! It's good
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:08 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Its New York, what did you expect??
I must be charmed as I find the service and friendliness I get in NYC in general is right up there with anywhere else in the world. Now the staff that AC contracts at LGA, well that is another story, you are correct they are not very helpful. Have never had that problem with AA for example.

The AMEX LGA lounge is one of the nicest I have been to, the food is decent and its always spotless. If you have a plat, I wouldn't bother going anywhere else at LGA.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:35 am

Was there around 10:30am - yes, there are windows which are covered with some type of film and, with no direct sunlight, the lighting is like looking through welders goggles. For a few extra bucks, they could make the place much more appealing...

The Amex Lounge is actually really nice - bright and spacious and the food selection is much more ample as is the bar offerings.

As AC has a max capacity of 72 or 76 people, I wonder if United has a policy of turning people away?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
The only time I've been to the LGA MLL, the staff were not only friendly, but fun.

So don't bash LGA! It's good
+1 for the staff at the LGA lounge.

I'll be there tomorrow - hopefully the same staff as last year!
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by martyYOW
+1 for the staff at the LGA lounge.
Credit where credit is due, the lounge attendant was WAY more friendly than the the check in agent...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.