Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Segment Runs

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2012, 9:33 pm

Programs: AC*A, WS Gold
I'm still confused. If I look for YYC-YWG on ExpertFlyer, I see the following routings:

1. YYC-YEA-YXE-YQR-YWG
2. YYC-YXE-YQR-YWG
3. YYC-YEA-YQR-YXE-YWG
4. YYC-YQR-YXE-YWG

When I search on AC's website, however, I see connections through both YVR and YEG. I don't see YVR or YEG as a valid connection for any of the fares. What am I missing?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:56 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
I'd do the moncton one- more segments, without having to go through customs and having to explain why it is that you're flying such a strange route....I once checked in for YVR-YYC-YEG and had the agent ask "Would you rather just go on the direct flight?"....imagine the look on her face when I said "no thanks, I'll take the flight with a two hour layover in Calgary".....

I usually make status off segments and am always surprised how quickly I can jump levels with segments- this year, I'm going from qualifying for prestige (25) to elite lite (35) within a month (One YEG-YYC-YVR return, one YEG-YYC-YLW return, and one YEG-YYC return).....Just funny that 3 trips is all its taking to go from prestige to getting lounge access, prioirty services, etc.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 6:35 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K; Marriott Titanium; NEXUS
Originally Posted by jakenda
I'm still confused. If I look for YYC-YWG on ExpertFlyer, I see the following routings:

1. YYC-YEA-YXE-YQR-YWG
2. YYC-YXE-YQR-YWG
3. YYC-YEA-YQR-YXE-YWG
4. YYC-YQR-YXE-YWG

When I search on AC's website, however, I see connections through both YVR and YEG. I don't see YVR or YEG as a valid connection for any of the fares. What am I missing?
I call in to book things that don't show up on ac.com I would reserve something like YYC-YWG, make sure the fare class you want is available on the additional segments you're looking to add and then call to have them make the change.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 8:15 am

Programs: AC MM
Originally Posted by Klove007
...so far 67 segments 39,612 miles this year. My spreadsheet is saying 101 by Year end...
Klove:

Jeepers, the airline ought to give you a gilt-edged SuperElite card and a Purple Heart if you earn SE by segments rather than by miles.

I've already re-qualified for SE this year - with 17 segments flown, all in J. That's about 17 more airplane trips than I would voluntarily fly (on any airline) if I had any control over my business travel.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 4:41 pm

102 segments so far this year, likely around 130 by years end. Wish I could carry forward the extra
Old Sep 21, 2012, 7:15 pm

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
Originally Posted by jakenda

1. YYC-YEA-YXE-YQR-YWG
2. YYC-YXE-YQR-YWG
3. YYC-YEA-YQR-YXE-YWG
4. YYC-YQR-YXE-YWG

What's even more curious to me is that you were given a YXE-YQR segment. AC doesn't fly this route.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 8:35 pm

Programs: *G
I think I have posted before that SE by segments is really quite straightforward - 2 segments a week, every week, is 104 - that leaves almost 5 weeks off. But of course if it is all on AC Express between stations with no MLL and no J, SE is somewhat useless.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 9:36 am

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
Originally Posted by j_the_p
What's even more curious to me is that you were given a YXE-YQR segment. AC doesn't fly this route.
AC used to. The Toronto flights would fly YXE-YQR-YYZ, YYZ-YXE-YQR and vice versa. However, this stopped a few years ago when Air Canada shifted the route to then-Jazz. It's since gone back to mainline for most flights but on E75 and E90 craft. The odd 319 flies either route but does not add the other Saskatchewan city to the route.

United flies it as part of YXE-YQR-ORD, ORD-YQR-YXE but while it's listed in Air Canada's timetable, tickets cannot be purchased for the YQR-YXE and vice versa routes.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 8:39 am
Original Poster

I'm 6 segments short of Elite - any ideas for a cheap run to make early recognition from YYZ/YTZ?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 9:42 am

YQM can be had on an L fare for $500 a/i return YTZ-YUL-YHZ-YQM-YHZ-YUL-YTZ. 15% codes are fairly easy to come by now with Delta running a promo and this would bring it down to $450 a/i
Old Oct 1, 2012, 2:07 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K, SPG Plat Ambassador, HHonor Gold, Marriot Silver, Hertz President's Circle, NEXUS, ABTC
Originally Posted by YQMer
YQM can be had on an L fare for $500 a/i return YTZ-YUL-YHZ-YQM-YHZ-YUL-YTZ. 15% codes are fairly easy to come by now with Delta running a promo and this would bring it down to $450 a/i
Hi I'm new here, first 3 months in a travel-intensive job, but short-haul so far, so trying to make E*75 on segments, gonna come up about 9 short so interested in this YTZ-YQM run.

My question is where are you booking to get this price? AC.com only shows the 2 segment (YTZ-YUL-YQM) run, with a higher price (unless you're booking tango), and expedia/orbitz, etc only seem to show this run in Tango (P and E class?)

Thanks!
Old Oct 1, 2012, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Kodeslinger
Hi I'm new here, first 3 months in a travel-intensive job, but short-haul so far, so trying to make E*75 on segments, gonna come up about 9 short so interested in this YTZ-YQM run.

My question is where are you booking to get this price? AC.com only shows the 2 segment (YTZ-YUL-YQM) run, with a higher price (unless you're booking tango), and expedia/orbitz, etc only seem to show this run in Tango (P and E class?)

Thanks!
First of all, welcome to FT!! (and all of our madness and rantings...)

OK, so I looked online and I can find an L fare return for: $523.47 ($517.82 through YTZ). If you get a discount code from Delta Hotels (you need to stay with them), you can get another 15% off the base fare. Sample, bookable itin through ac.com is:

AC408
Toronto, Pearson Int'l (YYZ)
Terminal 1
Montreal, Trudeau (YUL)
Thu Nov-15 11:00 12:09 5hr40 E90 Tango Plus, L
AC75141
Montreal, Trudeau (YUL)
Moncton (YQM)
Thu Nov-15 15:10 17:40 DH4 Tango Plus, L
AC75271
Moncton (YQM)
Montreal, Trudeau (YUL)
Thu Nov-15 18:10 18:47 5hr05 DH4 Tango Plus, L
AC429
Montreal, Trudeau (YUL)
Terminal 1
Thu Nov-15 21:00 22:15 320 Tango Plus, L

So once you find the fare on the date you want, you have to use Expertflyer or KVS or another similar program to find a 3- leg intinerary where L>0 on all of the flights you really want that day, i.e. YTZ-YUL-YHZ-YQM-YHZ-YUL-YTZ.

Then call Air Canada and have them switch the flights to the ones you want (which they should do for free)... just say that the routing you want wasn't available online.

Last edited by YQMer; Oct 1, 2012 at 3:49 pm
Old Oct 2, 2012, 9:49 am

Programs: AC*SE100K, SPG Plat Ambassador, HHonor Gold, Marriot Silver, Hertz President's Circle, NEXUS, ABTC
Originally Posted by YQMer
First of all, welcome to FT!! (and all of our madness and rantings...)

OK, so I looked online and I can find an L fare return for: $523.47 ($517.82 through YTZ). If you get a discount code from Delta Hotels (you need to stay with them), you can get another 15% off the base fare. Sample, bookable itin through ac.com is:

AC408
Terminal 1
Montreal, Trudeau (YUL)
Thu Nov-15 11:00 12:09 5hr40 E90 Tango Plus, L
AC75141
Montreal, Trudeau (YUL)
Moncton (YQM)
Thu Nov-15 15:10 17:40 DH4 Tango Plus, L
AC75271
Moncton (YQM)
Montreal, Trudeau (YUL)
Thu Nov-15 18:10 18:47 5hr05 DH4 Tango Plus, L
AC429
Montreal, Trudeau (YUL)
Terminal 1
Thu Nov-15 21:00 22:15 320 Tango Plus, L

So once you find the fare on the date you want, you have to use Expertflyer or KVS or another similar program to find a 3- leg intinerary where L>0 on all of the flights you really want that day, i.e. YTZ-YUL-YHZ-YQM-YHZ-YUL-YTZ.

Then call Air Canada and have them switch the flights to the ones you want (which they should do for free)... just say that the routing you want wasn't available online.
Thanks a lot!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 5:05 pm

Programs: AC E35; SPG Gold; National Exec; Enterprise Plus Plat
YUL-SFO 12 hour segment 'milk run': lookin' good or any problems?

I'm a lowly P looking to earn my way up to 'a higher Altitude' on segments. I have a YUL-SFO trip coming up and am considering a 5 segment routing, with what seems like decent connections, not too much time on uncomfortable planes (CRJ, DH3; I like E90s), and enough time at YVR for US border crossing.

My question for all you experts is: does this look okay or is there something ridiculous about this that that I'm not seeing? Travel date is late October, so I'm hoping weather is not likely a big problem (if it is, all bets are off!). Also, I will have to check a bag (definitely too much for carry on). Any observations or suggestions welcome! Thanks.

AC8987 YUL-YOW 06:05 - 06:44 CRJ
AC193 YOW-YEG 07:55 - 10:12 E90
AC8141 YEG-YYC 11:00 - 11:52 DH3
AC215 YYC-YVR 13:15 - 13:45 E90
AC562 YVR-SFO 15:45 - 18:00 E90
Old Oct 16, 2012, 6:48 pm

Programs: AC Altitude -.006k
Originally Posted by wildflower
I'm a lowly P looking to earn my way up to 'a higher Altitude' on segments. I have a YUL-SFO trip coming up and am considering a 5 segment routing, with what seems like decent connections, not too much time on uncomfortable planes (CRJ, DH3; I like E90s), and enough time at YVR for US border crossing.

My question for all you experts is: does this look okay or is there something ridiculous about this that that I'm not seeing? Travel date is late October, so I'm hoping weather is not likely a big problem (if it is, all bets are off!). Also, I will have to check a bag (definitely too much for carry on). Any observations or suggestions welcome! Thanks.

AC8987 YUL-YOW 06:05 - 06:44 CRJ
AC193 YOW-YEG 07:55 - 10:12 E90
AC8141 YEG-YYC 11:00 - 11:52 DH3
AC215 YYC-YVR 13:15 - 13:45 E90
AC562 YVR-SFO 15:45 - 18:00 E90
It'll make for a long day, but hats off for the trek. Connection times seem okay, in case off IRROPs you may find yourself re-routed on a more direct route, like YUL-SFO (!).

I assume you are getting a reasonable fare and if you can book it, great, IMO. You may even want to try YUL-YOW-YYZ-YEG-YYC-YVR-SFO if you can make it work. ITA is not being helpful this evening, so I can't say how possible it is.

In the end, you get your status on miles, if you keep routings like this!

Cheers,

Whitey in YUL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.