Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

International Flights from Edmonton

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2012, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Air Canada removed some of their direct flights to London in their fall schedule.

I wonder if our Airport authority is actively pursuing improving this situation?
Old Jun 25, 2012, 8:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by JohnOClark
Air Canada removed some of their direct flights to London in their fall schedule.

I wonder if our Airport authority is actively pursuing improving this situation?
It happens every fall as AC scales back on the frequency of it's LHR flights. If given the choice I'd rather have fewer flights than none at all in low season and expecting year round daily flights YEG-LHR is IMHO unrealistic.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 9:13 am

Programs: aeroplan Elite, Priority Club. HHonours
Originally Posted by tcook052
It happens every fall as AC scales back on the frequency of it's LHR flights. If given the choice I'd rather have fewer flights than none at all in low season and expecting year round daily flights YEG-LHR is IMHO unrealistic.

In the 1970's (and into the 1980's) AC used DC 8's from the West coast to LHR. YEG enjoyed a daily service to LHR since the YVR flight used YEG as a fuel stop.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 9:53 am

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
As far as I know, it's been only a few times a week in the low season since AC restarted the route a few years back.

Wasn't it 3x week at first, then daily over summer? What is it for this upcoming fall/winter? 3x or 5x week?

I know for a short while last year (or the previous year) AC actually planned to put on a second flight on YEG-LHR twice a week (to have 9x week frequency over summer), but instead moved the extra 763 rotations to YYC.

I think that filling a direct YEG-LHR flight would be tough, given the various options via. YYC, YYZ, and YUL. Pax have various time/connection options to wwwwaaaaay more destinations via any of those hubs, versus one choice to LHR.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 6:41 pm

Apparently KLM will be starting flights from YEG next May - 4 times weekly initially. Interesting given AC's relationship with YEG.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 7:11 pm

I wonder if the pending official announcement of this will be sufficient enough 'big news' for some on this board.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tractor Boy
Apparently KLM will be starting flights from YEG next May - 4 times weekly initially. Interesting given AC's relationship with YEG.
Do they still fly scary MD11s?

And who wants to take a bet on how long the experience will last?
Old Oct 10, 2014, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
Longer than LH in YYC I'm sure.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 4:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, O6*G, WS Gold
Originally Posted by ProudEdmontonian
I wonder if the pending official announcement of this will be sufficient enough 'big news' for some on this board.
Will you still fly Icelandair to Europe now?
Old Oct 11, 2014, 5:32 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by Stranger
Do they still fly scary MD11s?

They are retiring the MD-11s later this month. YUL is the happy destination to the be the last KLM (maybe even the last commercial MD-11???) flight.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 5:34 am

http://airlineroute.net/2014/10/10/kl-yeg-s15/
Old Oct 11, 2014, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by kevy_boy
Will you still fly Icelandair to Europe now?
Of course. It will depend where I'm going. If I had a business reason to go to LHR I would fly the non-stop otherwise I would avoid LHR and the carrier that refuses to compete with FI and KLM but plays dog-in-the-manger.

I do enough flying on American carriers to re-qualify every year for status on them. I just flew AA on the inaugural YEG-LAX last week!^

Last edited by ProudEdmontonian; Oct 11, 2014 at 7:37 am
Old Oct 11, 2014, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by ProudEdmontonian
Of course. It will depend where I'm going. If I had a business reason to go to LHR I would fly the non-stop otherwise I would avoid LHR and the carrier that refuses to compete with FI and KLM but plays dog-in-the-manger.

I do enough flying on American carriers to re-qualify every year for status.
Wouldn't using DL/KLM offer best of both worlds in your case?
Old Oct 11, 2014, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by tireman77
Wouldn't using DL/KLM offer best of both worlds in your case?
No, because I primarily fly to PSP/LAX/PHX and DL at the present time is not an attractive option unless they decide to bring YEG-SEA or reinstate SLC.

Besides, I've been to Western Europe many times and Iceland only on the Edmonton Trade Mission. I would like to explore it more and also visit the Scandinavian countries next year.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
A332 is a big plane for YEG...With AC to LHR and FI also offering regular flights to Europe, its a lot of seats, especially the 30 in Business class!

That being said, AC really doesn't have a good reputation in YEG, so maybe KLM will be able to feed off that and make this work!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.