Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

International Flights from Edmonton

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International Flights from Edmonton

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2014, 1:00 pm
7E7

Programs: AC*E75
Here are a couple of things that will impact YEG international air service and strengthen YYC as a "hub" for Air Canada and other carriers.

Inside the New International Terminal Expansion at YYC

Cathay Cargo returns to YYC

Will also impact Port Alberta.......
Old Oct 19, 2014, 1:49 pm

This thread has become interesting. In regards to KLM, AC, and FI they have all done their research on their investments and know their IRR and/or hurdle rates.

In my opinion this announcement by KLM (official coming), should be welcome not greeted with this attitude. It shows strength in our market (Canadian) overall and interest to invest.

For some reason there is a lot of emotional talk on this site regarding which airports see investment. Over the years I have personally enjoyed the growth at YYC, due to that have being my airport for numerous years.

We don't have the data that KLM, FI, or AC have. However, looking at it from a financial side (my background) this investment should show strength in not only YEG, but YYC as a hub as well.

This coming announcement is good for all of us as frequent flyers as it brings competition to the market, just as if YOW were to attract a European carrier.

Good for the team at EIA, good for us all in the long run and big picture.

Last edited by FlyB; Oct 19, 2014 at 1:57 pm
Old Oct 22, 2014, 1:02 am

Programs: AA DL LH BA KL AM
Yes I'm sure the IFP at YYC will fill up with A380's heading to all the key international gateways of the world...

I think we all know it's being done for other reasons, but have at it.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:54 am

Any reason KLM has not announced YEG?
Wouldn't they want all lead time possible for advance bookings?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:42 am

It wasn't supposed to be announced until first week of November, rumour has it will be announced along with EIA on November 3rd.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:50 am
CT1

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Plat, Aeroplan dDiamond
Originally Posted by PlanetYYZ
Yes I'm sure the IFP at YYC will fill up with A380's heading to all the key international gateways of the world...

I think we all know it's being done for other reasons, but have at it.
And what would those reasons be?

Since only the passengers and airlines using YYC are paying for it, what do you care?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by 7E7
Here are a couple of things that will impact YEG international air service and strengthen YYC as a "hub" for Air Canada and other carriers.

Inside the New International Terminal Expansion at YYC

Cathay Cargo returns to YYC

Will also impact Port Alberta.......
Edmonton will also have 747 cargo service to Asia. Announced soon.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:51 pm
7E7

Programs: AC*E75
Originally Posted by TheGreatestX
As much as I would like to it I am doubtful. I understand they have spent lots of money courting Asian carriers and lots of trips to developing routes and Port Alberta over the last decade. Nothing to show for it yet.

While YYC consistently gets new service, including cargo and has the momentum, including well developed industry around airport to support it.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by FlyB
It wasn't supposed to be announced until first week of November, rumour has it will be announced along with EIA on November 3rd.
I see that. Question is Why wait?
Why delay getting these flights to market when a material portion of market are 1/yr vacationers, likely to plan ahead, who don't have their ear to the ground regarding pending services coming to YEG.
Originally Posted by TheGreatestX
Full year-round scheduled KLM passenger service and 747C to Asia. Heard them both here first.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:29 am

In regards to the KLM announcement being delayed, there are other formalities that may that are happening. Having an announcement in November is plenty of time for people to book holidays. That being said, do not discount the increased amount of business travel between Europe and Edmonton/Northern Alberta.

We've all heard rumblings of the new cargo service rumblings a few months ago, hopefully it does get announced.

Very good times for Canada in both regards. Best of luck to the folks at EIA in securing these and other flights. Good to see increased interest in another Canadian city.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:09 pm

KLM schedules are loaded in the GDS, so that's a no brainer. It will be announced for YEG likely in November. FI announced it's schedule 6 months prior to launch, so lots of time for it to be formally announced.

I see China Cargo (parent company is China Eastern) is launching PVG-ANC-ORD-YEG-PVG cargo service in the next bit.

Your YEG insider (who is always right) has mentioned it on another forum.

Last edited by tcook052; Oct 23, 2014 at 2:29 pm Reason: comments on moderation
Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by PlanetYYZ
KLM schedules are loaded in the GDS, so that's a no brainer. It will be announced for YEG likely in November. FI announced it's schedule 6 months prior to launch, so lots of time for it to be formally announced.

Your YEG insider (who is always right) has mentioned it on another forum.
What's the gauge and frequency of W16 KLM operations at YEG?
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
What's the gauge and frequency of W16 KLM operations at YEG?
3 weekly A332.

http://airlineroute.net/2014/11/03/kl-yeg-s15update2/
Old Nov 3, 2014, 10:38 am

4x weekly in summer and 3x weekly in winter to start.

I also see AF announced 5x weekly CDG-YVR...
Old Nov 3, 2014, 3:00 pm

Sworn to secrecy I was for some time.^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.