Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

International Flights from Edmonton

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International Flights from Edmonton

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2016, 7:08 am

EIAA better ensure the KLM-subsidy cheques they're cutting keep clearing or KLM's outta there too.

Last edited by CloudsBelow; May 26, 2016 at 7:25 am
Old May 26, 2016, 8:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
EIAA better ensure the KLM-subsidy cheques they're cutting keep clearing or KLM's outta there too.
Do you have anything beyond these kinds of comments to indicate KLM wants or intends to drop their AMS service?
Old May 26, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by tcook052
Do you have anything beyond these kinds of comments to indicate KLM wants or intends to drop their AMS service?
Without a source it's clearly speculation, but considering those numbers I wouldn't write it off as being entirely off base either.
Old May 26, 2016, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by YYT82
Not surprising. A lot of the lost traffic is due to the slump in oil price.
Absolutely, I thought transborder traffic was down based on my recent travels and the lack of line-ups I was experiencing but I didn't think it was 23%. Ouch the CAD/USD cannot be helping with the vacation crowd either.
Old May 26, 2016, 1:03 pm

Not surprising. A lot of the lost traffic is due to the slump in oil price.
That's pretty much it. When we had UA service into YQR, there were always a certain number of oil field services people on every flight and I expect they were the ones paying enough to make the service viable. For a while I was flying every 2-3 weeks on the DEN flight and I'd see many familiar faces amongst the vacation travellers. Losing MSP is a big loss for us. Our situation is likely very similar to YEG in that a certain percentage of flyers were working in one specific economic sector, and that's now slumping.
Old May 26, 2016, 1:15 pm

If you compare first quarter results YEG/YYC

Domestic +2.0% +4.5%
Transborder -21% -6.6%
International -3.8% +7.6%

Honestly I am impressed there is any domestic growth, given the economy... the big contraction in cross border traffic with the rise of the USD is not surprising. With AC upgauging International out of YYC, and the lack of international flights out of YEG those numbers are not really surprising either.

What is really hurting YEG is the contraction in FBO -37% in the first quarter.
Old May 26, 2016, 4:50 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by AltaBound
Some numbers from EIA website. They are not pretty.

April 2016

Highlights

Terminal
•Terminal 534,492 passengers (2,229,381 Year to Date)
•Domestic 399,485 passengers (1,624,151 Year to Date)
•Transborder 85,659 passengers (373,293 Year to Date)
•International 49,348 passengers (231,937 Year to Date)
•Rolling 12-Month Total 7,160,157

Growth%
•Terminal -9.8% (-5.1% Year to Date)
•Domestic -3.4% (0.6% Year to Date)
•Transborder -28.2% (-23.2% Year to Date)
•International -17.8% (-7.2% Year to Date)
•Rolling 12-Month -1.7%

This doesn't mean much - it's a mere snapshot comparison to a pretty robust year previously. Most growth reductions are rather paltry, and the transborder numbers may well reflect the currency exchange as much as a slumping economy. Let's look at some more long-term trends before we start pulling the fire alarms.
Old May 27, 2016, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even though YEG has been losing service as of late, nothing compared to their neighbours East in YQR !

And if you make a comparison to a city such as FUK with almost 20 million passengers a year (and no flights to continental North America and spotty service to Europe), YEG seems to be doing okay !
Old May 27, 2016, 9:08 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Even though YEG has been losing service as of late, nothing compared to their neighbours East in YQR !

And if you make a comparison to a city such as FUK with almost 20 million passengers a year (and no flights to continental North America and spotty service to Europe), YEG seems to be doing okay !
.??? So you are saying YEG = YQR. The Edm chamber is not going to like you, but the Mayor of YQR is sending you a key to the city.
Old May 27, 2016, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy

I'd be careful about making comparisons to smaller centres in Japan. Japan is a small (in area) country with very efficient rail transport, there is really no need to have intercontinental service from every sizable city. The opposite is true for Canada.
Old May 27, 2016, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by hearna
If you compare first quarter results YEG/YYC

Domestic +2.0% +4.5%
Transborder -21% -6.6%
International -3.8% +7.6%

If you cut transborder/int'l routes and force most pax to make a domestic connection, wouldn't that increase domestic traffic?
Old May 27, 2016, 1:42 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by tracon
If you cut transborder/int'l routes and force most pax to make a domestic connection, wouldn't that increase domestic traffic?
Exactly! I used to be able to do YEG-LHR, YEG-SFO, YEG-ORD and YEG-EWR, now I need to go YEG-YVR/YYC/YYZ-LHR, YEG-YYC/YVR-SFO, YEG-YYC/YYZ-ORD, and YEG-YYZ-EWR.
Old May 27, 2016, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by tracon
Bingo!
Old May 27, 2016, 7:54 pm

Programs: AC, AA, AS, UA, WN, IHG, Hilton
Exactly! I used to be able to do YEG-LHR, YEG-SFO, YEG-ORD and YEG-EWR, now I need to go YEG-YVR/YYC/YYZ-LHR, YEG-YYC/YVR-SFO, YEG-YYC/YYZ-ORD, and YEG-YYZ-EWR.
Well at least you still have YEG-LGW. Here at YOW international was -32% in April. About 80% of that drop can be attributed to AC not resuming FRA until May 19th this year which is a total head scratcher.
Old May 28, 2016, 7:42 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
I flew through YEG yesterday. It has to be my favorite airport in Canada: everything is modern, new, and now, serene

Seriously though, their facilities are brand new. The transborder terminal makes YVR and YYZ look like dumps.

It's really sad to see it be so underutilized.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.