Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Ottawa eyes Air Canada pension moratorium extension

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ottawa eyes Air Canada pension moratorium extension

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2014, 7:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Air Canada may opt out of government lifeline as pension surplus grows

http://business.financialpost.com/20...surplus-grows/

In early 2013, when Air Canada’s pension was deep in the red, the airline signed an agreement with the federal government that gave it more time to cover the shortfall. In exchange, executive compensation was frozen at the rate of inflation and dividends and share buybacks were prohibited.

Mr. Rousseau said the airline will decide early next year whether it will opt out of that agreement now that its pension plan is back in the black, potentially opening the door for new treats for shareholders.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 8:53 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Air Canada may opt out of government lifeline as pension surplus grows

" Only two years ago, Air Canada’s pension plan was a millstone that threatened to send it into bankruptcy court for the second time in a decade. But today it has become so healthy that the airline may opt out of an agreement with Ottawa that forbids investor payouts.

Air Canada reported a small pension surplus at the beginning of 2014, a dramatic turnaround from the $3.7-billion deficit a year earlier. And that surplus has continued to grow throughout the year despite lower interest rates, said chief financial officer Michael Rousseau.
"

http://business.financialpost.com/20...surplus-grows/
Old Nov 6, 2014, 9:10 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Sorry! Missed that Tcook!
Old May 26, 2015, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Air Canada Sees Buyback Up to 10 Million Shares on Pensions Exit

"Air Canada opted out of a pension agreement with the federal government, a potential savings of about C$310 million ($248 million) in the next two years, and announced plans to repurchase as many as 10 million shares.

The buyback will target about 3.5 percent of Air Canada’s stock outstanding, the Montreal-based carrier said Tuesday in a statement. The carrier will make pension solvency payments of C$90 million in 2015, and none next year. Air Canada’s projection for 2016 assumes “similar market conditions to the current environment.”

Source: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...-pensions-exit

Last edited by tcook052; May 26, 2015 at 8:00 pm
Old May 26, 2015, 10:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
So oil price crash, and AC pension plan does better, and Calin gets a bonus.
Old May 27, 2015, 7:38 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by flybit
So oil price crash, and AC pension plan does better, and Calin gets a bonus.
Huh? Jet fuel prices are hedged last time I checked.

Last edited by superangrypenguin; May 27, 2015 at 7:44 am
Old May 27, 2015, 8:50 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Only a small portion. As of December 31, 2014, AC had hedged 22% of its 2015 fuel requirements.

So AC doesn't fully benefit from oil and fuel price declines right away, but it's nowhere near fully hedged.
Old May 27, 2015, 11:08 am

AC stock $13.5, wow, now kicking myself even more for missing limit orders @ $11

At least I still have my $12 positions
Old May 27, 2015, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by jerryhung
AC stock $13.5, wow, now kicking myself even more for missing limit orders @ $11

And relatively recently AC's market cap exceeded WS's for the first time in a very long time. Now $500M higher. Investors seem to like what's happening at most airlines, but some more than others...
Old May 27, 2015, 11:39 am

Programs: FT

i would never kick myself for not buying an airline stock, although i still kick myself for not going all in on Blue Star Airlines...

well, and also anacott steel too...

Originally Posted by winnipegrev
And relatively recently AC's market cap exceeded WS's for the first time in a very long time. Now $500M higher. Investors seem to like what's happening at most airlines, but some more than others...
yes, kind of helps with your major expense that you still grease people for with a YQ charge tanks and your cost gets reduced by 30% give or take depending on how well you hedged, or really, how well you did not so you could take advantage of the drop more.

Last edited by tcook052; May 27, 2015 at 11:52 am
Old May 27, 2015, 11:47 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by adam.smith
Only a small portion. As of December 31, 2014, AC had hedged 22% of its 2015 fuel requirements.

So AC doesn't fully benefit from oil and fuel price declines right away, but it's nowhere near fully hedged.
Indeed.

As a matter of fact, I do not like companies that hedge too much of their costs (be it an airline with fuel costs, or a gold producer with gold prices).

It means that they are starting to speculate with commodity prices, and I don't want them to do it.

As an investor, I can hedge against commodity prices myself, and sometimes cheaper than they can.

I prefer companies that focus on optimizing their operations, instead of "well hedge this cost and hope things go right".

Never kick yourself for "missing out" on a stock value increase.

You probably made the best decision for yourself considering the circumstances at the time.

People that regret their decisions tend to take riskier moves in the future, and you don't want to be "that guy".
Old May 27, 2015, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Never kick yourself for "missing out" on a stock value increase.

You probably made the best decision for yourself considering the circumstances at the time.

People that regret their decisions tend to take riskier moves in the future, and you don't want to be "that guy".
Well said. I closed out my AC position today and remove it from my watchlist; second guessing yourself is never a good thing in the market.
Old May 27, 2015, 3:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
we are here to teach you at FT. :-: But you get one star for trying.

By the way Delta got hurt in its hedging.
Old May 27, 2015, 9:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
How Air Canada turned its pension around

http://www.thestar.com/business/econ...on-around.html

Just a few years ago, Canadian companies were facing staggering pension shortfalls, well into the billions.

But thanks to better returns from both stock and bond markets, many of those deficits have shrunk or are wiped out completely.

Air Canada went from a $4.2 billion pension solvency deficit in 2012 that threatened the company’s future, raising concerns about another trip to bankruptcy court, to a $1.2 billion surplus as of this month.
Old May 27, 2015, 9:49 pm

-$4.2B to +1.2B? that's $5.4B turnaround? am I reading it right? REALLY?
Doing better than CPP/OMERS/etc?

Will government/taxpayers get anything back from the "investments"? ha ha

Air Canada went from a $4.2 billion pension solvency deficit in 2012 that threatened the company’s future, raising concerns about another trip to bankruptcy court, to a $1.2 billion surplus as of this month.
That’s a huge jump from $89 million at Jan. 1, 2014, and $660 million as at Jan. 1, 2015.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.