Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

NEW: Seat selection For bookings made elsewhere than on aircanada.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEW: Seat selection For bookings made elsewhere than on aircanada.com

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2014, 11:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Open Jaw
I'm about to book a flight on AC to YYZ from NY in July. I've heard that AC does not allow you to select a seat without paying extra money to choose your own seat. Is this true? If so, and you do not pay the extra fee, when do you get a seat assignment? I really don't care where I sit for such a short flight, but I must say to pay extra to choose a seat is just crazy in my humble opinion.

Thanks
Seat selection on domestic and transborder (US) flights is extra on Tango fares. If you buy a Flex fare (or higher), or you're on an international flight, then seat selection is free.

So for NYC-YTO, Tango will not have free seat selection (or full miles - I think it's 50%, but check with whatever program you're crediting to), but Flex will.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:31 am

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Seat selection on domestic and transborder (US) flights is extra on Tango fares. If you buy a Flex fare (or higher), or you're on an international flight, then seat selection is free.

So for NYC-YTO, Tango will not have free seat selection (or full miles - I think it's 50%, but check with whatever program you're crediting to), but Flex will.

So when will I know what seat I'll be in?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 1:19 am

So when will I know what seat I'll be in?
You can select a seat at check-in.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ACflyerDE
Is there already a ticket number associated with your booking?

I had the same issue when booking through our corporate TA on brand new bookings but as soon as the itinerary was ticketed the change seat option became active.
This has finally started to work for me, for flights that my corp TA books; those have never been reliably accessible before. I go to the manage bookings page, enter the booking ref, get what looks like an error page but click on the "no, don't use that seat selection tool, use this one instead" link (really AC, that's the best UI you could come up with?) ... but after all of that, it does now finally work.

It also gives me proper access to all the new preferred seats, exit rows, etc ... so although it's a pain to get to, it's definitely a step forward.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
I'm about to book a flight on AC to YYZ from NY in July. I've heard that AC does not allow you to select a seat without paying extra money to choose your own seat. Is this true? If so, and you do not pay the extra fee, when do you get a seat assignment? I really don't care where I sit for such a short flight, but I must say to pay extra to choose a seat is just crazy in my humble opinion.

Thanks
If you book a Tango Fare, you have to pay extra for advanced seat selection. Flex and Latitude fares receive free seat selection. If you book Tango and do not select a seat, then you will be assigned one at check-in, which makes it important to do OLCI at T-24.

Charging for seat selection/restricting the ability to choose seats in advance on discount economy tickets is not unique to AC.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA GS & 3MM, HHONORS Diamond
Regarding advance seat assignments, the situation has not changed. Just booked a code-share flight on United, on AC metal, and neither United or Air Canada can assign a seat. The Global Services desk also was unable to help - their request to AC for a generic window seat came back as "airport check-in only." Travel agent could not even PAY to get a seat assignment. Not a huge deal for this one hour flight, but the ticket was not cheap and I dislike the uncertainty.

Last edited by nntman; Apr 15, 2014 at 5:40 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:02 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by nntman
Regarding advance seat assignments, the situation has not changed. Just booked a code-share flight on United, on AC metal, and neither United or Air Canada can assign a seat. The Global Services desk also was unable to help - their request to AC for a generic window seat came back as "airport check-in only." Travel agent could not even PAY to get a seat assignment. Not a huge deal for this one hour flight, but the ticket was not cheap and I dislike the uncertainty.
Digging up a 10 year old thread really isn't necessary. You might want to check this thread which is on the first page of this forum. I've had recent success booking seats on a UA codeshare with this.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...anada-com.html
Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by nntman
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Digging up a 10 year old thread really isn't necessary. You might want to check this thread which is on the first page of this forum. I've had recent success booking seats on a UA codeshare with this.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...anada-com.html
These two posts have been moved from a long dead thread here.

tcook052
Air Canada Forum Moderator
Old Apr 17, 2014, 1:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by AirD0c
Just follow and send a direct message to @AirCanada on twitter. I find they respond within minutes and are able to assign seats.
Great service from @AirCanada. Assigned my seat in minutes just like you guys said. Much better than their colder-than-hell-and-wait-one-hour call center. Thanks for the tip, and jeers to the AC website.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Originally Posted by italdesign
Great service from @AirCanada. Assigned my seat in minutes just like you guys said. Much better than their colder-than-hell-and-wait-one-hour call center. Thanks for the tip, and jeers to the AC website.
Just did the twitter thing, my first ever and seat reservation was done in 5 minutes. Sad AC's seat selector doesn't work, more sad that phone line is either busy or with hours wait. How does this airline even work? And I thought UA Shares was bad.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 6:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by zoegksf
more sad that phone line is either busy or with hours wait.
You don't want to deal with their call center even if it's reachable. I'd almost rather talk to a TK agent. Almost.

Thank God for social media.
Old May 8, 2014, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Just follow and send a direct message to @AirCanada on twitter. I find they respond within minutes and are able to assign seats.
Success for me as well. Great response, total time less than 5 minutes. Thanks for the tip. ^
Old May 8, 2014, 11:32 am

Thanks for the advice (and thanks to everyone else who chimed in, too)---after trying the phone lines and the unworkable website, all it took was a tweet or two. I had a trans border UAL award ticket and was assigned the last row of the plane, according to the website. *Gold should have been worth a bit more, and it was.
Old May 8, 2014, 11:56 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by travel agent
If you booked your flight with a travel agent or on another website, you will soon be able to select your seat online. We are currently working on this new feature and are hoping to make it available within the next few days.
Just used the 'new feature.'

Glad it was there, but certainly has the feeling of something that has been tacked on to the system.
Old May 14, 2014, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM/UA MM/Marriott PLT Premier-LT PLT
Great advice from FT. Just used twitter to get better seats for an award flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.