Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

carriers with little or no fuel surcharges for award travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2013, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: imverge
Aeroplan fuel surcharges (YQ) collected on the following airlines:

Air Canada (AC)
Lufthansa (LH)
All Nippon Airways (NH)
Asiana (OZ)
Thai (TG)
Austrian Airlines (OS)
LOT Polish Airlines (LO)
TAP Portugal (TP)
Adria Airways (JP)

Aeroplan fuel surcharges (YQ) NOT charged on these airlines:

Aegean Airlines (A3)
Air China (CA)
Air India (AI)
Air New Zealand (NZ)
Avianca/TACA (AV)
Brussels (SN)
Copa (CM)
Croatia (OU)
EgyptAir (MS)
Ethiopian (ET)
Eva Air (BR)
SAS (SK)
Shenzhen (ZH)
Singapore (SQ)
South African Airways (SA)
Swiss (LX)
Turkish (TK)
United (UA)

*Keep in mind AC charges YQ for the entire trip sometimes, so if you do YYZ-PVG-MEL on AC/CA or YYZ-NRT-AKL on AC/NZ, even though the last two segments are not supposed to be charged YQ - AC will charge YQ based on distance of YYZ-MEL/AKL.

Aeroplan's last official statement on fuel surcharges including an important statement that all fuel surcharges are requested by AC, and not by AE or the operating carriers: All fuel surcharge amounts are applied by Aeroplan on behalf of the ticketing carrier and are passed through directly to the ticketing carrier.

Should the status of any airline on the list please post in the thread or update this wiki. Members must be signed in to edit wiki, which can be minimized or maximized by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post.
Print Wikipost

carriers with little or no fuel surcharges for award travel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2016, 5:53 pm

Programs: AC SE
United availability?

I am trying to book YQB-EWR roundtrip and want the UA direct flight. Leaving on Friday Oct 28th and returning on Wednesday Nov 2nd. I see availability on UA.com for award flights on UA3856 outbound and UA4431 return. Yet when I called AE, the agent told me he doesn't see availability on UA3856.

I am fairly new to this but my understanding was that if you see availability on UA.com, you were good. What am I not getting right here?
Old Jul 18, 2016, 6:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jasdou
I am trying to book YQB-EWR roundtrip and want the UA direct flight. Leaving on Friday Oct 28th and returning on Wednesday Nov 2nd. I see availability on UA.com for award flights on UA3856 outbound and UA4431 return. Yet when I called AE, the agent told me he doesn't see availability on UA3856.

I am fairly new to this but my understanding was that if you see availability on UA.com, you were good. What am I not getting right here?
Only the "saver" availability will be available on Aeroplan.

If the cost is 25k one way, it's not saver.

It would be 10k for the UA non-stop.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by jasdou

What you are seeing on UA.COM is Anytime award. YN, can only be booked using UA miles. For 25K each way.

There is availability for 10K on UA 4431. It is XN only. For United Elite members. There is also availability for 10K outbound. Again XN only.
For *A members availability has to be in X.
If you know a UA Elite they can book it for 10K each way.
Taxes 7.40 each way.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 5:30 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by yyzprincess
What you are seeing on UA.COM is Anytime award. YN, can only be booked using UA miles. For 25K each way.

There is availability for 10K on UA 4431. It is XN only. For United Elite members. There is also availability for 10K outbound. Again XN only.
For *A members availability has to be in X.
If you know a UA Elite they can book it for 10K each way.
Taxes 7.40 each way.
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Only the "saver" availability will be available on Aeroplan.

If the cost is 25k one way, it's not saver.

It would be 10k for the UA non-stop.
Thanks cow and yyzprincess. Very useful info. It looks like I will have to suck up the connection and AC scamcharges on the outbound as I don't have any UA Elite patron/sugar daddy/rich uncle. AE does have availability on the direct UA return flight though, so at least there's that.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 12:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
For the transatlantic J flight that I want, no availability on the carries that have no fuel surcharge while Lufthansa seats are plenty, but the Aeroplan crooks want $700 fuel surcharge, compared to United MileagePlus $88 USD.
We non-SE Aeroplan members are being screwed so hard with these scamcharges

Last edited by MasterGeek; Oct 28, 2016 at 12:09 pm
Old Oct 28, 2016, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
For the transatlantic J flight that I want, no availability on the carries that have no fuel surcharge while Lufthansa seats are plenty, but the Aeroplan crooks want $700 fuel surcharge, compared to United MileagePlus $88 USD.
I don't see how being SE would help you here.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 3:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Correct.

In addition, as others have posted....one might also want to see the YQ LH charges on a paid ticket as well as Aeroplan tickets. It's not exactly coffee money. If one doesn't want to pay YQ, then fly airlines with no YQ or low YQ. LH is not one of them.

Or use UA MP miles.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
Correct.

In addition, as others have posted....one might also want to see the YQ LH charges on a paid ticket as well as Aeroplan tickets. It's not exactly coffee money. If one doesn't want to pay YQ, then fly airlines with no YQ or low YQ. LH is not one of them.

Or use significantly more UA MP miles.
Fixed that for you.

I'd have a screenshot of United's site, but surprisingly, there's is erroring out.

But the equivalent flight is 110k miles and $80 USD.

$500 CAD is worth more than 40k miles to me. If I had the option of transferring my miles 1:1 to United for this booking, I would not.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 28, 2016, 9:43 pm

I believe the poster was looking at j, which isn't as much of a gap
Old Oct 28, 2016, 10:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by crimsona
I believe the poster was looking at j, which isn't as much of a gap
Right, but he also made comments about the YQ and not being SE, which matters.

Either way, there is Jerry Hung's excellent thread....mentioned often and especially when posters lament about these charges.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...demptions.html
Old Oct 29, 2016, 6:47 pm
Suspended

Oh I see. So the YQ waiver for SEs applies only for Air Canada flights.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 7:30 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Oh I see. So the YQ waiver for SEs applies only for Air Canada flights.
Yup.

Quit, and join United, they'll be thrilled to have another member who wants full benefits on $500/yr in spending.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 1:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by YOWgary
Yup.

Quit, and join United, they'll be thrilled to have another member who wants full benefits on $500/yr in spending.
But I have lots of Aeroplan points from Amex churning and Aeroplan promised me free flights and that I can get business class flights for only 110K points without disclosing the amount of carrier surcharges in advance

I wish United was a partner of Amex Canad for points conversion.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 7:05 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
But I have lots of Aeroplan points from Amex churning and Aeroplan promised me free flights and that I can get business class flights for only 110K points without disclosing the amount of carrier surcharges in advance.
Guess you should've done literally any research before you went out and got five credit cards.

BTW, it's entirely possible - easy, really - to get business-class flights from Canada to Europe on minimal surcharges, lots of us do it on a regular basis.

Read this, then try your booking again. Also understand that, like any other program, most of the good award seats are probably going to get snapped up early, so if you're upset that you can't get business-class YVR-FRA the week before Christmas, I feel bad for you son.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...demptions.html

It's a shame that United aren't among the transfer options, true, but I suspect if you went to them, you'd be back in a week complaining that they charge a higher fee for partner redemptions, or that their stop-over allowance isn't as generous as Aeroplan's. Each program has its pros and cons.

...but Amex MR has Canadian transfer partners on Star Alliance, Oneworld and Skyteam. Go check out BA's surcharges for a good laugh.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 8:55 am

But I have lots of Aeroplan points from Amex churning and Aeroplan promised me free flights and that I can get business class flights for only 110K points without disclosing the amount of carrier surcharges in advance

I wish United was a partner of Amex Canad for points conversion.
United isn't even part of the US program, because they are tied up with Chase, but there's a roundabout way to approach this:

180k amex convert to 90k SPG
90k SPG convert to 270k Marriott
270k Marriott redeem for cheapest 7 night travel pack, which gives 132k (152k until November 30 with the transfer promo) United miles plus 7 nights at a category 5 hotel (feel free to discard the hotel, but if you can use even a few nights it's worth it)

That's as good as you're going to get

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.