Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

El Al prices force Shimon Peres to fly with Air Canada

Old May 2, 2012, 1:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

http://www.timesofisrael.com/el-al-p...th-air-canada/

El Al likes to tell its customers it’s their home in the sky — but that home is a bit too expensive for President Shimon Peres.

Channel 2 reported Wednesday night that Peres, rather than flying with the national carrier, is set to travel overseas with Air Canada. The reason: El Al’s too expensive.

Travel regulations for public officials require the 88-year-old’s personal paramedic to bring an oxygen tank on board flights. When El Al quoted a $4,700 charge for the oxygen tank, the president’s representatives balked. Then, they found a better deal.

Air Canada offered a significantly lower price for the president’s travel, as well as no charge for in-cabin storage for the oxygen tank.
Old May 2, 2012, 1:43 pm

Programs: 100K
A current head of state flying commercial? even on non official visits most get extended the courtesy to fly using government or private planes.
Old May 2, 2012, 1:45 pm

Programs: Non-status bottomfeeder
...and Harper rings up the Canadian Forces CC-150 Polaris every time he needs to fly around.
Old May 2, 2012, 1:49 pm

Programs: AC
My personal belief is that all heads of state / government should fly using Government owned aircraft.

What an embarrassment it would be to be the head of the Israeli government and show up on an Air Canada flight.

The President / Prime Minister should show up in any other country he is flying in to in a big plane with his country spelled out on the side in big bold letters. Sometimes you have to be a little bit proud and show off what you have. And most of the time when leaders are flying around the world, they are going to try and win some kind of right / treaty in their favour. What does it say about your countries ability when you fly commercial, especially in another nations airline?

Thankfully in Canada we have aircraft that the PM can use, and I for one am very happy when he does. The Polaris is a great plane with a striking paint job, and I for one am proud when I see the PM getting on and off on his travels.
Old May 2, 2012, 2:05 pm

I don't think we have to worry that the PM and his cabinet will be rolling off a Easyjet flight for a high level meeting overseas....but commandeering a Jumbo for an afternoon to visit grandma is not cool.
Old May 2, 2012, 2:14 pm

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by rumblefox
I don't think we have to worry that the PM and his cabinet will be rolling off a Easyjet flight for a high level meeting overseas....but commandeering a Jumbo for an afternoon to visit grandma is not cool.
Agree completely.

Thankfully, we have a range of AC for the PM to use. Bought for just that purpose. I hope we can also agree that a PM flying commercial is also not cool.
Old May 2, 2012, 2:19 pm

Programs: AC*E50
Originally Posted by josh_saunders
Agree completely.

Thankfully, we have a range of AC for the PM to use. Bought for just that purpose. I hope we can also agree that a PM flying commercial is also not cool.
Sure, but getting the RCAF to run the Challenger fleet is a huge waste of money. We'd be much better off contracting the service out to an executive jet provider. Even the Polaris could be replaced with a commercial provider. Military should fly military planes, and commercial should look after passenger traffic.

We used to run our own fleet of military passenger flights (Scare Air), moved to contracts with Canadian to run charter flights and then gave up and went commercial. No reason why the VIP fleet needs to be any different.
Old May 2, 2012, 2:24 pm

Barring security issues, for domestic personal travel I don't see why any government official should be using our taxpayers money to be flying around.
Old May 2, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: AC.SE
Security concerns aside (and I suspect those are overblown), there's no compelling reason for the PM to fly on government aircraft (especially when it comes to flying himself and assorted hangers-on to sporting events). There is no shortage of examples of foreign leaders taking commercial flights. I think the primary effect of using government aircraft is the stroking of massive egos.
Old May 2, 2012, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by zoobtoob
...and Harper rings up the Canadian Forces CC-150 Polaris every time he needs to fly around.
Shimon Peres is a Head of State.

Harper is a Head of Government.

Head of State is a nominal position in any country with a parliamentary setup. Head of Government is a part of the executive and has significantly more responsibilities and places to be - his position is very time-sensitive. .

A comparison to GG Johnston would be more apt. I don't know how he travels. Anyone know?
Old May 2, 2012, 3:46 pm

Programs: AC*E50
Originally Posted by yulred
A comparison to GG Johnston would be more apt. I don't know how he travels. Anyone know?
Reclined on a gilded litter carried by a dozen blonde virgins (6 french, 6 english).
Old May 2, 2012, 3:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by yulred
Shimon Peres is a Head of State.

Harper is a Head of Government.

Head of State is a nominal position in any country with a parliamentary setup. Head of Government is a part of the executive and has significantly more responsibilities and places to be - his position is very time-sensitive. .

^
Old May 2, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyerYYZ
Reclined on a gilded litter carried by a dozen blonde virgins (6 french, 6 english).
???????
Old May 2, 2012, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by FrequentFlyerYYZ
^

Just fell off my chair laughing. The bilingual bit ... too good.
Old May 2, 2012, 4:08 pm

My personal belief is that all heads of state / government should fly using Government owned aircraft.

What an embarrassment it would be to be the head of the Israeli government and show up on an Air Canada flight.

The President / Prime Minister should show up in any other country he is flying in to in a big plane with his country spelled out on the side in big bold letters. Sometimes you have to be a little bit proud and show off what you have. And most of the time when leaders are flying around the world, they are going to try and win some kind of right / treaty in their favour. What does it say about your countries ability when you fly commercial, especially in another nations airline?

Thankfully in Canada we have aircraft that the PM can use, and I for one am very happy when he does. The Polaris is a great plane with a striking paint job, and I for one am proud when I see the PM getting on and off on his travels.
Wait till the debate about replacing them starts. That'll be fun to watch.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.