Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: How does one look up the exact number of seats available on a specific flight?

Question: How does one look up the exact number of seats available on a specific flight?

Old Apr 22, 2012, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC *50K MM; WS Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
How does one look up the exact number of seats available on a specific flight?

Folks, apologies in advance because I know that this is a basic question. I've done a few searches and ended up with more information that I need without a clear answer to this question:

Is there a way for me to look up the exact number of seats available in the front cabin on a specific Air Canada flight?

In the past, I would just do a dummy booking on AC.com and then look up the seat map showing available flights. However, this past week, I am getting VERY odd results. I'll see seats available and then a few minutes later those seats have vanished. A day later they'll show up again. One time the cabin was showing as sold out on the website; yet when I called in, the agent told me that there were still several seats available ... I'm beginning to think there is something seriously wrong with the website! Is there a non-AC source I can go to? I know that the experts on this board often refer to R=0; J=4 (or something similar) -- where can I find that information? Is this only available on a paid site, or can I get something equivalent from a free source? Many thanks for the help!
Old Apr 22, 2012, 9:54 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

Paid options include KVS Tool and Expert Flyer.

The AC seat map only shows the seats that have been selected, not what's available. Many bookings made through external sources do not select seats. J = # of seats up front. R = # seats up front (from the J bucket) available for upgrade, so R <= J. Expect R=0 right at the 7 day mark for many flights!
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:07 am

flightstats will only show if 9+ seats are available. There is also a difference between available seats (for sale) and available for bums!

You can always call reservations and ask them how open a particular flight is.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC *50K MM; WS Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Thanks for the advice, appreciate it. So I have a follow-up question. I checked in FlightStats for AC 092 for May 12 and it's showing as:

Business 0, R=0

But ...

Other 9 (at least), J/9 C/9 D/5 Z/0

So does that mean that there are still 9 seats in business? What about C and D -- are those the discounted business seats?

Thanks for the help!
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:45 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Yes -

9 full fare J seat tickets available for purchase

9 discounted J tickets (c) available for purchase

5 deeper discounted J tickets (D) available for purchase.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:47 am

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Technically, J9 means there are at least 9 seats available in the J booking class. There may be more.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:02 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Yes -

9 full fare J seat tickets available for purchase

9 discounted J tickets (c) available for purchase

5 deeper discounted J tickets (D) available for purchase.
D is a subset of J... so if you take 5 D seats it will drop the number of J's available. The correct answer for flt 92 is there are currently 12 executive class seats left for sale. There is no way to know how many might be reserved, but not yet purchased (unless you work for AC)
Old Apr 22, 2012, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by ABG
There is no way to know how many might be reserved, but not yet purchased (unless you work for AC)
Mark Hill found a way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.