Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Who buys "liquid oxygen drops" from the duty free shop?

Who buys "liquid oxygen drops" from the duty free shop?

Old Mar 21, 2012, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Talking Who buys "liquid oxygen drops" from the duty free shop?

I was just browsing through the AC Duty Free catalogue and stumbled across the following item:

all natural liquid oxygen drops

Drink It Up! Helps with jetlag, fatigue, boosting your immune system, hangovers, fresher looking skin and it even purifies drinking water. Just add it to water or juice to revitalize while youre flying. Bottle provides 2-month supply. Family friendly. Safe and healthy for everyone, everyday.

Add to water...
...or directly under your tongue.

ONLY $22.00CAD

No offence, but are there any idiots who buy this kind of crap? Seriously? Liquid oxygen drops? Why not also sell some homeopathic crap, too?

Maybe I should start my own business and sign a contract with the manager in charge for the duty free selection. A few obvious products come to mind:

1) magic water granting you super powers and an overall enhanced feeling of happiness
2) empty bottles containing 21% super-power oxygen
3) an AC cap protecting you from any sort of flight disruption*
* guaranteed to work on 95.4% of all flights

After a year Id have earnt enough money to always purchase full-fare J/F tickets and Im sure that would greatly improve my health and overall well-being.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 5:36 pm

Programs: BA Bronze,ex-AC*SE,ex-AC*E,ex-AC*P, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, Fairmont Gold, HH Gold
Considering oxygen doesn't liquefy until -183C I wouldn't like to put a drop of that stuff under my tongue
Old Mar 21, 2012, 5:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I saw this on my last trip and thought What the Heck?

From here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_...8supplement%29

Liquid Oxygen is the name of a product that is a solution of hydrogen peroxideand other compounds including sodium chloride (common salt) that claims to help with "jet lag, fatigue, altitude sickness, headaches, hangovers, youthful skin, energy, and insomnia". Ken Harvey, a member of the World Health Organisation team that formulated criteria for the promotion of medicinal drugs and a member of Auspharm Consumer Health Watch, states that the product is "no more than salty water", and that most forms of water carry some dissolved oxygen. The Federal Trade Commission has prosecuted purveyors of such products for making "blatantly false and unsubstantiated health claims".
Air Canada should be ashamed to be offering such a product.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 5:49 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
I'll guarantee that the oxygen content of the water I sell is 88% by weight!

Any takers? I think I just need a marketing campaign.

(http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...7053054AA74epa)
Old Mar 21, 2012, 6:00 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Ha! When I saw that product, I thought, "That's just hydrogen peroxide." Glad to know I was right.

How much do you want to bet that there are people drinking "Oxygen water" and taking antioxidant supplements at the same time?
Old Mar 21, 2012, 6:13 pm

liquid oxygen eh...... enhanced club soda or perrier?
Old Mar 21, 2012, 6:55 pm
Original Member

My liquid oxygen also contains a special ingredient. That special ingredient is the most common element in the universe, so you know it's all natural.

Last edited by KenHamer; Mar 21, 2012 at 7:03 pm
Old Mar 21, 2012, 6:58 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
No offence, but are there any idiots who buy this kind of crap?
That's why invincible stupidity is actually invincible.

(Well, that, and accupuncture.)
Old Mar 21, 2012, 7:02 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
2) empty bottles containing 21% super-power oxygen
My empty bottles are better than your empty bottles.

Mine contain 79% nitrogen, for that extra boost of nitro-power energy.

Contains no nitrates
Old Mar 21, 2012, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by KathrynInCanada
I saw this on my last trip and thought What the Heck?

From here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_...8supplement%29

Air Canada should be ashamed to be offering such a product.
AC ashamed?...lol
Old Mar 21, 2012, 7:17 pm
Original Member

AND...

My empty bottles are also the perfect solution for Dyhydrogen Monoxide, a fiendish, dangerous, and pervasive compound found throughout the environment. If not handled correctly, it is extremely dangerous.

http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

(Too illustrate just how pervasive this stuff, I'm almost certain there is a significant amount in that Liquid Oxygen stuff mentioned at the beginning of this thread. It's damn near impossible to eliminate.)
Old Mar 21, 2012, 7:21 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
...someone beat me to this as I always wanted to sell a product with no real substance like Liquid Oxygen, carbon credits, flavoured air etc
Old Mar 21, 2012, 7:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Newsflash - it's one of the top selling products.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 7:25 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE 100 IHG Plat Amb Nexus
Fraudulent?

My rant for the day...
It has always bugged me when I see that ad. First because the idea that the VERY tiny amount of oxygen in the few drops in your mouth would have any significant effect on your bodies oxygen level when one breath of air would likely give you many orders of magnituide more blood oxygen; secondly because it assumes that the oxygen could be absorbed throught your digestive tract... hydrogen peroxide will oxidize pretty much anything it comes in contact with thats why it is used to bleach hair and as a rocket fuel oxidizer. Third it assumes oxygen whatever form it comes in is good and useful... why do you think people are concerned about ozone exposure or take antioxidant vitamins, fruits etc... Last... hydrogen peroxide is one of the cheapest items sold in a pharmacy I would guess that a bottle would contain a fraction of a cent worth of peroxide.
For those that "believe" special tip... take cap off pure out half into another container, recap shake rapidly and consume immediately it will contain much more oxygen a no addition cost.

Its sort of like another ad that bugs me, the coins with 14 milligrams of pure 24K gold people are sold as an "investment" ... 1 milligram of gold is worth about 6 cents.

Disclaimer: The post is not intended to detract from the sales or marketability of any product and is purely for entertainment or editorial news comment.

Last edited by folkart; Mar 21, 2012 at 7:31 pm
Old Mar 21, 2012, 7:31 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by KenHamer
My empty bottles are also the perfect solution for Dyhydrogen Monoxide,
Nasty stuff, that, it should be banned immediately!

I wonder if I could get a grant to study sequestering it in remote lakes?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.