Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Fare class to book for Honeymoon

Question: Fare class to book for Honeymoon

Old Mar 13, 2012, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Fare class to book for Honeymoon

Hello all,

First time poster so apologies that everything is not as abreviated as it could be

I am elite because of work travel and have 35 upgrade credits atm which are all in play.

This is the trip;
YVR -> YHZ
YHZ -> HNL
HNL -> YVR

The first leg is from home to Nova Scotia where the family and ceremony is. This leg I can still upgrade instantly at 10 credits each.

Second leg is to the actual Honeymoon with a stop over in YYZ and YVR.
This is why I am writting; there is no room for instant upgrades here, only wait list. I cannot afford to book lowest exec but I could book Latitude. If I'm not mistaken that will give me a higher shot at an upgrade and also only use 4 total credits letting me go first class to YHZ as well.

BUT ~ Is this worth the extra $600 ??? If I pay Latitude and dont get the upgrade i'll feel like a tool and endure "that-money-could-have-been-used-on-massages-in-hawaii" glares all the way across the pacific.

I could just book tango+ for both legs and not upgrade the first (less important) leg so that I have enough credits to try the upgrade to HNL. But then I may miss the upgrade and then I'll feel dumb for not riding in the front to YHZ.

The third leg is not important at all really, I just put it there to avoid questions about us living in HNL or something.

Now I understand that if I really wanted first class I would have to pay for it and I have no entitlement and will not blame anyone for any advice -- if i ride in the back on every trip I'll still have a freaking amazing time -- I'm just looking for opinions;

What would you do in my shoes?

Option 1
YVR -> YHZ = T+ / 20 credit upgrade
YHZ -> HNL = L / waitlist

Option 2
YVR -> YHZ = T+ in the back
YHZ -> HNL = T+ waitlist (save $600)

Option 3
YVR -> YHZ = T+ / 20 credit upgrade
YHZ -> HNL = T+ in the back

Thanks to anyone who can help me hash it out. Sorry if this was needlessly wordy.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
If I were you I would just buy a K/L/T class ticket.
YVR-HNL is full of kettles so UGs should be easy.
Welcome to FT!
Old Mar 13, 2012, 5:08 pm

My recommendation: Spend the extra money that you'd spend on Latitude on a nicer hotel in HNL.

Important clarification: The T+ fares CAN NOT be upgraded instantly. They can not be upgraded until 7/4/2 days before the trip, if there is upgrade space available at the time. Only Latitude fares allow for upgrades at purchase/before the upgrade windows, and only if upgrade space is available.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by rehoult
My recommendation: Spend the extra money that you'd spend on Latitude on a nicer hotel in HNL.

Important clarification: The T+ fares CAN NOT be upgraded instantly. They can not be upgraded until 7/4/2 days before the trip, if there is upgrade space available at the time. Only Latitude fares allow for upgrades at purchase/before the upgrade windows, and only if upgrade space is available.
So if you want to buy B then I would recommend checking KVS (or phone any TA to look for R space in the GDS if you want to save $$$)
Old Mar 13, 2012, 5:33 pm

Z... lol
Old Mar 13, 2012, 6:05 pm

Giving us particular dates may also help, too look up historical loads...

You should check out related posts here. The YVR-HNL (Historicaly) has been on non xmed birds (Very old biz class).

There are a few ways of checking out what bird is operating the flight, however it can always change between now and your flight.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 7:33 pm

Welcome to FT! And Congratulations!

First the pedantic notes: 1 AC doesn't have "first" class, only business class. They do have a confusing marketing name for it "executive first" but it's still business class. and 2 I think you mean you have connections in YYZ and YVR, not stopovers. If you had stopovers (> 10 hours on a domestic/US itinerary) then you would have to upgrade the two flights separately and it would cost more upgrade credits.

The bad news is that historically AC (and every other n.a. carrier except one) used a domestic configuration plane to fly to HNL. That meant no good business class and it probably wasn't worth upgrading. Looking now though they seem to be promising the new pods from YVR which is a surprise to me. But make sure if you plan to upgrade that you get yourself on a plane with a real business class.

You might also keep an eye on YHZ-EWR-HNL which saves a connection and CO (now UA) is the only carrier that has a decent business class to HNL. The traditional thing to do is book your new spouse an award ticket and buy a ticket yourself so you don't lose out on the miles. But you wouldn't be able to upgrade unless you have a UA FF friend. Also, this is one of the hardest routes to get an award on due to it being the only way to get to HNL from the US in a good business class.

All that said, it's virtually never *really* worth it. $600 is a lot of money for massages and pampering and the flight's only a few hours of your life. But if you can get a B fare for 2x$600 more and there's upgrade space on that flight then that's as cheap as you'll ever get it.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
So if you want to buy B then I would recommend checking KVS (or phone any TA to look for R space in the GDS if you want to save $$$)
No need, that is what the "display only fares eligible for upgrade" button is for on aircanada.com. If the blue box appears next to the flight (assuming you've booked for 2 people), R space exists and you can upgrade immediately.

If you are possibly going to spring for Latitude fares, fork out a bit more (or sometimes a little less) $$$ to buy a discounted economy class seat (needs to be booked well in advance though).
Old Mar 14, 2012, 6:31 am

Programs: MPC Green, AC Tangerine :)
Originally Posted by YEG USER
No need, that is what the "display only fares eligible for upgrade" button is for on aircanada.com. If the blue box appears next to the flight (assuming you've booked for 2 people), R space exists and you can upgrade immediately.

If you are possibly going to spring for Latitude fares, fork out a bit more (or sometimes a little less) $$$ to buy a discounted economy class seat (needs to be booked well in advance though).
pretty sure you meant buying a discounted executive class seat
Old Mar 14, 2012, 8:03 am

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Originally Posted by YEG USER
... buy a discounted economy class seat
This maybe the result of "discounted" Y seats

http://www.onlinetravelreview.com/20...ers-in-toilet/
Old Mar 14, 2012, 1:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Away from YYZ

If they don't have pods I would buy priority seats and just stick with those.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Away from YYZ

They are Premium Executive Seats........ Full privacy pods, leg rooms to stretch !!!
Old Mar 14, 2012, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply.

2012 is my first full year of AC*E and I am exclusively a domestic flyer (fingers crossed for 75 segments this year ), so I have no idea where to begin booking with other star alliance partners. Baby steps I guess.

Definitely the best thing to do would be book one reward and then get my flights for points, however, I am trying to save up for a double mini-RTW in 2013.

I ended up springing for the Lat fares for YHZ -> HNL because I am an optimist and that is the day after the wedding; We have 20 hours on four different planes that day (to get to Kauai) with 5 hours waiting in airports. Also, my fiancée has never been in a pod and only once ever in J.

So I gambled.

When I went to try to upgrade my T+ YVR->YHZ it was grayed out as xpected, *BUT* I could instant upgrade YHZ->YUL and YVR->HNL with a waitlist YUL->YVR !!!

All is well that ends well as I had no problem paying +$300 for J to HNL and I think I have a good shot, as a latitude connection, to get the middle leg as well.

I have gotten upgrades enough (and at 5'7", I'm short enough) to save the $600 but it's still a big deal to the better half (who is 6'2").

Thanks again everyone

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.