Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for unused eUpgrade credits

Old Nov 26, 2011, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K

Hello All,

As 2011 draws to a close, it looks like I'll end up with ~90 unused credits. My first year as an Elite also coincided with the first year of eUpgrades. I've heard stories of people handing out their leftover certificates to random strangers in in the past. But that's clearly not an option anymore. It seems like a shame for all these credits to go to waste, but that seems like the most likely outcome at this point. Open to any creative suggestions this forum might have.

Cheers

Old Nov 26, 2011, 9:40 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
[Dream]

Since there are a few of us who can't use up the eCredits, maybe AC should have no problem giving us more eCredits to start the year and/or increase the number of credits at each threshold.

[/Dream]
Old Nov 26, 2011, 10:10 pm

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
You can print out your eUpgrade statement and use that as wallpaper. But seriously, once your nominee slots are filled, there isn't much else you can do.

I'm guessing that come mid-Feb, the J cabin will be pretty full with people burning their upgrade credits on YYZ-LGA
Old Nov 26, 2011, 10:27 pm

Find a couple friends that are traveling over Christmas and upgrade them. I'm upgrading my brother-in-law YYC-YYT-YYC as his Christmas present and that will leave me with 3 left at the end of the year.

I originally thought I'd spend a lot of time in Y this year, but a healthy balance of good Z fares (45%) and T+ upgrades (31%) put me in J for 76% of my ~50,000 miles.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DaveTO
You can print out your eUpgrade statement and use that as wallpaper. But seriously, once your nominee slots are filled, there isn't much else you can do.

I'm guessing that come mid-Feb, the J cabin will be pretty full with people burning their upgrade credits on YYZ-LGA

I upgraded 1 of my nominees on a YUL/YOW flight Wednesday last week
Old Nov 27, 2011, 2:59 pm

i used it for some long hauls YYZ-NRT-SIN during midweek and when passing 20K i get additional eupgrade credits to expire come 2013.

BTW how did u end up with so many? U never upgraded yourself?
Old Nov 27, 2011, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller

Sitting on over 140 here. Upgraded every flight except one, with a colleague in Y.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
Sitting on over 140 here. Upgraded every flight except one, with a colleague in Y.
u fly too many long hauls? :P
Old Nov 27, 2011, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

u fly too many long hauls? :P
Eh, these work well.

Passes also work well. Z fares.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K
i used it for some long hauls YYZ-NRT-SIN during midweek and when passing 20K i get additional eupgrade credits to expire come 2013.

Combination of factors. Of my 86k miles this year, a large portion came from TPAC travel for work in paid J. I'm also based out of the US now, so it's not always feasible/convenient/economical to take AC for personal travel. I have used a few credits on EWR/LGA-YYZ-YOW flights, but even then, it's faster (and sometimes cheaper) to fly non-stop on Jazz (via LGA) or CO (via EWR) to YOW.

I did plan on visiting China early next year, but given the recent meaningful increase in T+ fares to PEK/PVG/HKG, I'm not sure it still makes sense to fly AC when there is a cheaper non-stop option on CO that earns 100% status miles.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 4:54 am
Used to be '076753k'

Programs: AirCanada*G
My father added me as a nominee and I was given a 120 credits to burn through!
Old Nov 28, 2011, 7:34 am

Programs: AC*E
yeah, i have a ton of eupgrades that will go unused. i nominated my mother-in-law last week, and will probably do it again in january... just hoping my upgrade clears for my asia flight in january. really sucks you have only nominate 2 people!
Old Nov 29, 2011, 9:49 am

Programs: CM Gold, SK EB Gold, SPG Gold
I upgraded myself and Mrs. on a flight to YHZ in the summer, but as I'm now based in US, I could only burn so many on YYZ-EWR/LGA. I added my folks as nominees and was able to upgrade them on YYZ-HKG (we were pretty amazed it went through). Now I have 49 credits left with... Actually, it seems that my folks were upgraded and my eUpgrades weren't credited out of my account! Oh well.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:43 pm

eupgrades extended to 2013

According to the Nov. issue of the Elite Connection, "Big news! All eUpgrade Credits earned as of November 1, 2011, including those earned for achieving a Status Mile Threshold, or for an eligible Flight Pass activity, may be used for travel through February 28, 2013."

There is no more information about this statement on the eupgrade site but since Tango and Tango Plus tickets can only be upgraded a max. of 7 days in advance, doesn't this imply that they don't expire until Feb. 21/13?
Old Dec 1, 2011, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by greatwhitenorth
According to the Nov. issue of the Elite Connection, "Big news! All eUpgrade Credits earned as of November 1, 2011, including those earned for achieving a Status Mile Threshold, or for an eligible Flight Pass activity, may be used for travel through February 28, 2013."

There is no more information about this statement on the eupgrade site but since Tango and Tango Plus tickets can only be upgraded a max. of 7 days in advance, doesn't this imply that they don't expire until Feb. 21/13?
1. Tango cannot be upgraded...Only Tango Plus and Latitude
2. For Elite its 4 days advance.
3. Since this is year 1, we dont know how the transition will play yet.... But in previous paper cert years, your coupons must be used for travel on or before Feb 28 2013.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.