Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplan Conversion Promotion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2011, 2:28 pm

Programs: AC Altitude E35K, *Silve, UA Premier Silver, Marriott Platinum, SPG Preferred Plus, a bunch of other
This is actually a better promotion than the last if you are going to convert a large amount of SPG points. In the last promotion they limited you to 5,000 points bonus on 25,000 or over.
In my case I think this works out great, because I am going to do a nights and flights redemption for a Cat 4 hotel for 70,000 SPG points, have the 50,000 points sent to Aeroplan, get the 10,000 bonus. So for 70K SPG points I get 5 free nights in a cat4 hotel and 60K Aeroplan points. Enough to fly my whole family over 1 province to see my brother and his new baby :-)
Old Nov 23, 2011, 2:30 pm

Programs: AC Altitude E35K, *Silve, UA Premier Silver, Marriott Platinum, SPG Preferred Plus, a bunch of other
Sorry - one other question, I see no place that we have to "register" for this promotion. I got burned on a promotion once before because Aeroplan said I didn't register... anyone see anything different that registration is required?
Old Nov 23, 2011, 2:36 pm

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by fluffydot
For those of you saying it would be insane to transfer SPG -> Aeroplan, what is a better way to use 20K SPG points?

I mostly collect AMEX MR so I am not too familiar with the best use for SPG (I thought it was to transfer to airlines as well...) in this case, 20K SPG would get 25K AE + 4000 bonus = 29K

And I would also transfer 100K MR into 125K AE. Almost enough for a mini-RTW in F?
USAir gives the same transfer rate, and they don't have fuel surcharges.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 11:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Awesome.. been waiting for this promo all year.. I've got 49,000 Amex Gold points.. so will spend $$$ this week and get the 10,000 bonus miles.

Edit: Actually got 50,433 points in my Amex account.. so will try to transfer and report back..
Old Nov 23, 2011, 11:24 pm

People on FT love SPG points... is it because it offers a number of different options to transfer into? I would only really transfer them to Aeroplan anyways... what am I missing?

I have 50,000 + AMEX MR points in both my wife's and my account... worth transferring over? Or should I consider SPG?
Old Nov 24, 2011, 5:00 am

The beauty of SPG points is that they CAN go to whichever airline alliance you want, and within the alliance, you can cherry-pick the reward program that best suits your reward needs at the time.

If you are flying on Swiss/SQ/UA, you can transfer to Aeroplan for a mini-rtw.

If you are flying on LH/AC, you can transfer to USAir and not pay fuel surcharge

If you are flying on Cathay, you can transfer to AA

If you can find availability on Skyteam, you can transfer to Delta etc..

Slaman, if you transfer to SPG, you'll get 25,000 SPG points, which is good for 30K in any of those airline programs, plus if they have a transfer bonus. For me, the flexibility is worth the reduction in overall points. Plus, if you sign up for a SPG Amex, your future spending doesn't take the 50% hit.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 9:17 am

Programs: MPC -> QFF
Dave thanks for the explanation. After seeing the tiny selection of AMEX transfer partners, I can understand why SPG is much better.

But for those of use who racked up sizable MR accounts thru bonuses, we really have not much choice. I think a mini-rtw in F will get me the most value, so I should get the 25% transfer bonus for sure. Given that the bonus is per partner I wish I had some SPG banked too. Probably too late to sign up for SPG now before Dec 12 deadline.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by DaveTO
The beauty of SPG points is that they CAN go to whichever airline alliance you want, and within the alliance, you can cherry-pick the reward program that best suits your reward needs at the time.

If you are flying on Swiss/SQ/UA, you can transfer to Aeroplan for a mini-rtw.

If you are flying on LH/AC, you can transfer to USAir and not pay fuel surcharge

If you are flying on Cathay, you can transfer to AA

If you can find availability on Skyteam, you can transfer to Delta etc..

Slaman, if you transfer to SPG, you'll get 25,000 SPG points, which is good for 30K in any of those airline programs, plus if they have a transfer bonus. For me, the flexibility is worth the reduction in overall points. Plus, if you sign up for a SPG Amex, your future spending doesn't take the 50% hit.
These are great points...

I'm not sure what to do... My wife and I booked our first mini-RTW in F for next April for 120,000 Aeroplan points, but with the changes in their award redemption rates, future redemptions don't look so attractive.

My wife has ~65K in Aeroplan, I have about ~25K... we have ~85K and ~65K in Amex respectively... I wonder if I bite the bullet and transfer 50K of Amex to Aeroplan, and the rest to SPG?

Have we seen any promotions of transferring Amex to SPG recently? Any indications that Amex Canada will introduce new partners (thus nullifying the need for SPG in the first place)? Amex US has a ton of partners, which is a bit frustrating...

Or, am I better off just keeping my Amex balances until I actually need them :P

Hmm, I do need a flight from SIN-DPS-HKT.. since my miniRTW in F didn't cover this portion... would be nice to take J or F class on SQ for this segment instead of AirAsia heh. I know US Airways has a 30K redemption for intra-Asia... hmm, decisions decisions...
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:54 am

No rush to move it out of Amex - As you said, they might add a partner with a better transfer rate than 2:1 for SPG.

I would always keep between 30-50K in Aeroplan, because if you have a last minute flight to somewhere only AC flies, it can save you $1000 or more. Not a bad redemption for 15-25K!
Old Nov 24, 2011, 11:59 am

No rush to move it out of Amex - As you said, they might add a partner with a better transfer rate than 2:1 for SPG.

I would always keep between 30-50K in Aeroplan, because if you have a last minute flight to somewhere only AC flies, it can save you $1000 or more. Not a bad redemption for 15-25K!
Great advice again - thanks! The only reason I would want to move it out of Amex is to take advantage of the current Aeroplan transfer promo... but it seems to happen yearly, so maybe there is no rush. I might cash out 50K of my Amex MR, but I'll keep my wife's intact...
Old Nov 24, 2011, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Per Aeroplan call centre, the bonus miles will show up in 6-8 weeks. Quite why they cannot be instant when you transfer the maximum for one partner (100k), like the transfer, I have no idea...!
Old Nov 24, 2011, 2:38 pm

Programs: A Few
Originally Posted by emma69
Per Aeroplan call centre, the bonus miles will show up in 6-8 weeks. Quite why they cannot be instant when you transfer the maximum for one partner (100k), like the transfer, I have no idea...!
It won't take 6-8 weeks. Check your account again on Sunday. Your bonus miles will likely be there.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 8:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by emma69
How many miles did you transfer on the promo?

Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler
It won't take 6-8 weeks. Check your account again on Sunday. Your bonus miles will likely be there.
Got off the phone about an hour ago and transferred 50,000 Amex Gold miles to AE.. I was wondering about when the bonus would be posted.. sounds like Sunday is a posting date.. thanks for answering my question without me asking..

We transferred my wifes 5,900 gold amex points as well.. So she should be getting 1,000 bonus AE miles I guess.. Once the points and bonus points are posted, we will shut down her gold card.. as she has an Aeroplat Amex.. I'll keep my gold.. and possibly sign her up with a Gold Business Amex in the new year..
Old Nov 24, 2011, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
thanks for answering my question without me asking..
Phew saved a post!

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
We transferred my wifes 5,900 gold amex points as well.. So she should be getting 1,000 bonus AE miles I guess.. Once the points and bonus points are posted, we will shut down her gold card.. as she has an Aeroplat Amex.. I'll keep my gold.. and possibly sign her up with a Gold Business Amex in the new year..
SPOILER ALERT!

This story will probably end up in a North American (possibly Hawaii/Mexico) award redemption in economy. There may be a complimentary checked bags sequel, with a small side plot of a free upgrade to E+ if the poster decides to fly on UA.

Come on AM, do you see how you have taken the thread away from useful information on how (and why) to manage your MR/AP/SPG balance and gone astray with your 0 value-add post of you and your wife's various point conversion & CC churn decisions...
Old Nov 24, 2011, 8:45 pm
Suspended

Phew saved a post!

SPOILER ALERT!

This story will probably end up in a North American (possibly Hawaii/Mexico) award redemption in economy. There may be a complimentary checked bags sequel, with a small side plot of a free upgrade to E+ if the poster decides to fly on UA.

Come on AM, do you see how you have taken the thread away from useful information on how (and why) to manage your MR/AP/SPG balance and gone astray with your 0 value-add post of you and your wife's various point conversion & CC churn decisions...
Not really.. Having liquidated the points off of our Amex Gold cards results in an extra card that we don't use at all being cancelled. If I wanted to churn, I would have applied for the Gold Amex for Business already..

A question.. your comment about 2:1 for SPG.. is that 2 AE miles for 1 SPG point? or the other way around?

Just checked both my wife and I's account and the points have been posted, but no bonus.. so shall wait until Sunday to see the bonuses post..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.