Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Converting Aeroplan to AA & BA via RBC Avion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Converting Aeroplan to AA & BA via RBC Avion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2011, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mkjr
nabeelj, how goes the battle for lifetime plat?
At 1.498m, should be at 2.125m by the end of the week.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by okazon69
BA transfers at 1.5x from Avion on again starting today until 1/31/2012.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...0/public/en_ca

(Aeroplan tie in: This is for Canadians who may or may not be Aeroplan members. )
Which allows you to move Aeroplan to Avios at ~1:1.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 12:36 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
The only reason I haven't been going all out to pursue AA Life status is the financial health of AMR. It seems to be in worse shape than AC.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 7:15 pm

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by jarusoba
The only reason I haven't been going all out to pursue AA Life status is the financial health of AMR. It seems to be in worse shape than AC.
You are right that AMR is likely to go into bankruptcy in the next year or two. This is almost necessary as AA's competitors used bankruptcy to reduce their cost base. AA has had higher costs compared to their competitors because they never went through Chapter 11 bankruptcy reorganization. I expect a stronger AA to result from visit with chapter 11.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 7:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by jarusoba
So.
You can get AA life status by collecting miles? Or do you have to FLY AA? What does Life status mean?
Also, what is AA like with redemptions in J? Do they gouge with YQ also on redemptions?
Just looking at my options, apart from AE. Now moving all my spending to SPG from Visa Infinite Aeroplan card. I see that SPG can transfer to AA Advantage to 1:1 what can I do with these points?
Old Nov 22, 2011, 8:45 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, AE*E, Hyatt Diamond, AAdv, BA Exec
So I am done with Aeroplan. Wasn't just because of these new enhancements but I am done being with a program which provides so many enhancements!

I have been Elite for some years now and have already done a mini RTW and doing a mini RTW to Australia.. .which was awesome while it lasted. Next year, will move my travels to OneWorld.

Now with these surcharges and increased mileage requirements, I would rather redeem BA miles on their partners.

AP to Esso took 2 days
Esso to Avion took 2 days.

and this promo is on, so I will end up converting AP to BA 1-1...
Old Nov 22, 2011, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by toflyer
and this promo is on, so I will end up converting AP to BA 1-1...
I'd strongly suggest evaluating whether the AA 1.3x or BA 1.5x promo make more sense, by evaluating your typical redemptions against both award charts and fees, before making a decision to move the miles to BA.

EDIT: Also evaluate both programs' partners. For me, Etihad is a huge reason for picking AAdvantage 1.3x over Avios 1.5x.

Last edited by nabeelj; Nov 22, 2011 at 10:42 pm
Old Nov 22, 2011, 8:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Avios, Delta Skymiles, AAdvantage
Question Omitting the last part of this transfer...

Hey guys,

If I were to transfer AP -> Esso -> Avion and forget about the AA, what would be the exchange ratio? Would it give me 30% less than the 10:9 ratio?

By the way, I haven't found any info on the 1.3x exchange on AA or RBC... has the special already ended? That's if I were to go the full route to AA. Wonder how much the YQ charges are on that airline...?

Thanks
Old Nov 22, 2011, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cphil1
Hey guys,

If I were to transfer AP -> Esso -> Avion and forget about the AA, what would be the exchange ratio? Would it give me 30% less than the 10:9 ratio?

By the way, I haven't found any info on the 1.3x exchange on AA or RBC... has the special already ended? That's if I were to go the full route to AA. Wonder how much the YQ charges are on that airline...?

Thanks
Yes, 30% less than 10:9.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/CanadaMi...nadaMileOffers

AAdvantage charges YQ only on BA redemptions.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by nabeelj
I'd strongly suggest evaluating whether the AA 1.3x or BA 1.5x promo make more sense...
Completely agree. Availability is a factor, as are the outrageous YQ charges on BA. On the other hand, being able to pay for PE and then upgrade using a relatively small number of points is nice, if you can find availability.

For now....
Old Nov 23, 2011, 6:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Avios, Delta Skymiles, AAdvantage
Exclamation Going AA

Yes, 30% less than 10:9.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/CanadaMi...nadaMileOffers

Even though I have flown BA before, the YQ charges are just insane. Imagine flying to CDG from YUL where the ticket portion is less expensive than the charges.

So if I were to go AA, I would stick to AA flights, use them to fly short north american flights. I actually called to enquire about YQ charges. Took my favorite destinatiion as an example; YUL to FLL would be 65$ YQ. AC is 130$. This is really that good.

So I guess it's a very viable option... But how confident should I be going with AA if they seem to be going into financial difficulties?

Phil
Old Nov 23, 2011, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cphil1
So if I were to go AA, I would stick to AA flights, use them to fly short north american flights. I actually called to enquire about YQ charges. Took my favorite destinatiion as an example; YUL to FLL would be 65$ YQ. AC is 130$. This is really that good.
AAdvantage does not charge YQ on AA metal redemptions. Not sure where you got $65 from.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 5:01 am

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
It's probably US Immigration Tax/Airport Fee/NavCan Fee etc.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DaveTO
It's probably US Immigration Tax/Airport Fee/NavCan Fee etc.
Then he needs to understand what YQ actually is
Old Nov 24, 2011, 8:18 pm

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
For some reason I can't transfer between Aeroplan and Esso Extra on points.com. I've tried transferring everything from 10K to 50K but nothing works...the transfer button is greyed out. Anyone know what's wrong before I call points.com tomorrow morning?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.