Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Stopovers - what am I doing wrong? (YWG-SFO-PDX)

Question: Stopovers - what am I doing wrong? (YWG-SFO-PDX)

Old May 30, 2012, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Stopovers - what am I doing wrong? (YWG-SFO-PDX)

I am looking into AE availability for two seats in November on a YWG-SFO (5 days)-PDX (4 days)-YWG itinerary. AE.com tells me that this is not a permissible itinerary.

The problem isn't obvious to me... I would expect to be able to book on UA or AC for all segments. Could someone please clue me in as to what the problem with this itinerary is? I'm trying to book a west coast vacation with an extra stop and I didn't realize that it wouldn't be allowed.
Old May 30, 2012, 8:46 pm

Stopovers - what am I doing wrong? (YWG-SFO-PDX)

I was told that United does not permit stopovers. If you did this with US Airways, I think it would work. Which would require a different stopover city, of course.
Old May 30, 2012, 9:25 pm

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by WillTravel
I was told that United does not permit stopovers. If you did this with US Airways, I think it would work. Which would require a different stopover city, of course.
From AE.com's FAQs:
"For travel within Canada or between Canada and the Continental USA (not including Hawaii/Puerto Rico), one stopover permitted in addition to the point of turnaround except on any itinerary that includes a United Airlines flight."
Old May 30, 2012, 10:13 pm

Programs: AC P,PC Plat,HH*G, Marriott Rewards
You should be allowed the stop over. I just booked an AE ticket from YWG-YVR-OGG and returning OGG-SFO on United with a stop and then onward SFO-YVR-YWG on AC. The AE agent at first said wasn't allowed but after a brief hold came back and said it was permitted. It's allowed in the 50 United States excluding Hawaii. I had to make my booking through the call centre as the web website won't allow it.
Old May 30, 2012, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback... although it's interesting to note flyboy99's contradictory experience. It seems odd that one can simply get around this no stopovers on UA rule by just asking the call centre to override it, but if it can be done that way I'd be willing to give it a go.
Old May 30, 2012, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Such stopovers are only permitted on all AC metal NAmerican itineraries. Once you add a UA or US flight, no stopover is permitted. You could do an Open Jaw though: YWG-SFO, PDX-YWG. Of course, you'd have to book a one-way SFO-PDX. These are running about $110 a/i on UA.
Old May 30, 2012, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by flyboy99
You should be allowed the stop over. I just booked an AE ticket from YWG-YVR-OGG and returning OGG-SFO on United with a stop and then onward SFO-YVR-YWG on AC. The AE agent at first said wasn't allowed but after a brief hold came back and said it was permitted. It's allowed in the 50 United States excluding Hawaii. I had to make my booking through the call centre as the web website won't allow it.
Last time I checked there were just 49 states if you exclude Hawaii. Obviously an exception was made for you to over ride the rule.
Old May 31, 2012, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Such stopovers are only permitted on all AC metal NAmerican itineraries. Once you add a UA or US flight, no stopover is permitted. You could do an Open Jaw though: YWG-SFO, PDX-YWG. Of course, you'd have to book a one-way SFO-PDX. These are running about $110 a/i on UA.
^

Thanks for the explanation... that sounds like a reasonable way to go about it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.