Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Time to review "electronic devices" rule?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2011, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Delta Gold

At the outset, let me admit that this is one of my personal pet peeves.

I submit that it is high time to relax some of the rules on what electronic devices can be used on an aircraft.

I think any informed individual would agree that the risk in using today's wireless devices is negligible to non-existant.

Technology is advancing logarithmically, and yet the rules we MUST follow are in some cases, decades old. See link below.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviatio...nnexb-2549.htm

My bluetooth wireless mouse will not endager the aircraft - let me use it.

My e-reader weighs less then many hard cover books - let me read it.

In the event of an acident, my Blackberry cannot hurt anyone any more then a hard cover book, or a shoe, or a wine bottle, - let me continue to check my e-mail. (I'm all for no cell phone conversations btw, but writing, reading e-mails doesn't bother anyone)

Regarding my attention during secuirty briefings - none of these devices are more distracting then newspapers which are passed out BEFORE the safety briefing, so let's not even go there.

All I'm asking is for some common sense review of some draconian rules. Come on AC, get with the times.

Comments? Thoughts? Would love to hear from AC staff on this.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last thing I want is people talking on cell phones in flight.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
I fully agree - let pax use those devices as long as it doesn´t disturb others, i.e. no talking to phones, no watching videos without headphones etc.

I guess it´s not about what AC wants, it´s more about some prehistoric government policies which were designed "just in case". IIRC AC did a pretty decent job at lobbying to relax the cell phone rules, so maybe we´ll see some improvement over the next years...
Old Aug 4, 2011, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I fully agree - let pax use those devices as long as it doesn´t disturb others, i.e. no talking to phones, no watching videos without headphones etc.

I guess it´s not about what AC wants, it´s more about some prehistoric government policies which were designed "just in case". IIRC AC did a pretty decent job at lobbying to relax the cell phone rules, so maybe we´ll see some improvement over the next years...
My understanding (I freely admit I could be wrong on this) is that most of these rules are set by AC and not Transport Canada. AC submits a policy to TC which is then approved and enforced by TC. This leaves me with the impression that its AC that can start the ball rolling on these changes.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 7:24 am

its almost like the rule about horse drawn streetcars in the Ontario Highway Traffic Act LOL
Old Aug 4, 2011, 7:25 am

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
The stupid Japanese airlines don't even allow one to use a digital camera or camcorder during take-off and landing. I use them anyways because the FAs would be seated and can never enforce this.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by jarusoba
The stupid Japanese airlines don't even allow one to use a digital camera or camcorder during take-off and landing. I use them anyways because the FAs would be seated and can never enforce this.
they will undo their seatbelt and strap u in LOL

(and dont think otherwise)
Old Aug 4, 2011, 8:50 am

Programs: AC*E

My e-reader weighs less then many hard cover books - let me read it.

In the event of an acident, my Blackberry cannot hurt anyone any more then a hard cover book, or a shoe, or a wine bottle, - let me continue to check my e-mail. (I'm all for no cell phone conversations btw, but writing, reading e-mails doesn't bother anyone)

It is your intuition that a Blackberry or e-reader is less dangerous than a book in the event of an accident. My instincts say otherwise. Fortunately, risk is rigorously evaluated before policy is changed not left to intuition or instinct.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drdrma
It is your intuition that a Blackberry or e-reader is less dangerous than a book in the event of an accident. My instincts say otherwise. Fortunately, risk is rigorously evaluated before policy is changed not left to intuition or instinct.
Perhaps your instincts could also comment regarding whether or not it is more dangerous then a shoe or a bottle....

Last edited by JimYUL; Aug 4, 2011 at 9:09 am Reason: spelling
Old Aug 4, 2011, 9:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by drdrma
In what way is it more dangerous?
Old Aug 4, 2011, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by tyberius
In what way is it more dangerous?
I'd rather get smacked in the face with a book than a ebook reader.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by JimYUL
Perhaps your instincts could also comment regarding whether or not it is more dangerous then a shoe or a bottle....
People tend not to keep shoes or bottles in their hands at take off and landing.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 10:51 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
With a few exceptions (bluetooth mouse?) most every kind of electronic device, be it an e-reader, a smartphone in 'airplane mode,' an iPod, a laptop - You name it - Can be used on a flight between the two "pongs." In my experience, most of the time that's something like 97% of the flight.

Is it really that much of an ordeal to read a magazine the other 3% of the time?
Old Aug 4, 2011, 10:59 am

Programs: AP/SE; ACMM
The issue with electronic devices, like an eReader (Kindle or iPad) is how does the FA know if its wireless service is deactivated? Once airborne, it is near impossible to get a 3G signal, so not as big an issue. So I'm OK with storing all electronic devices for take-off and landing.

Now I'm hoping AC picks a different AV system for Executive First that would allow those PAX to start watching while on the ground, like Y-Class PAX. Maybe they will pick a better system for the 787s.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 11:22 am

Programs: 100K
I've never understood the concern about electronic devices interfering with aircraft electronics. If that's the case that's some serious engineering incompetence on the part of Boeing or Airbus and we should immediately redesign and retrofit these vulnerable aircraft!

There's really no difference from a safety perspective between me reading a magazine vs reading that magazine on my ipad during takeoff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.