Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Issue getting credit on Air Canada / Continenetal Code-share

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Issue getting credit on Air Canada / Continenetal Code-share

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2011, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC-E 2008 SPG-G Priority-Gold Marriott-Silver
Thumbs down Issue getting credit on Air Canada / Continenetal Code-share

Hi there,

I booked/took a flight with Air Canada back in February YEG - IAH in rate code W Tango Plus through my business travel agent CWT. The flight was on CO Metal.

The miles were not originally credited so I went through the online tool and had no luck.

I spoke to Aeroplan today and they say that since the flight was on CO metal and the booking converted to a CO flight class that is not awarded points I will not be credited the status miles. I responded that I booked in Tango Plus so how is that possible? They simply responded that it isn't their problem.

Is there any way to challenge this? Do you agree with what they are saying?

Thanks in advance.

-tcf
Old May 30, 2011, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I don't think that there are any CO booking class that earns no miles on any FFP incl aeroplan! Ask AC exactly what booking class it maps onto CO?
Old May 30, 2011, 5:55 pm

You need the CO fare class to know how much miles you're supposed to get.

If you booked a CO operated flight on AC.com, then it doesn't matter that it was Tango +, as it only guarantess 100% on AC operated flight and all codeshares are subject to operating carrier fare code.
Old May 31, 2011, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I don't think that there are any CO booking class that earns no miles on any FFP incl aeroplan! Ask AC exactly what booking class it maps onto CO?
That's interesting....I'll find out and report back. I spoke to my travel agent (CWT) who were also shocked by the claim and have offered to look into it for me. I will hit elite now regardless this year but the principle irritates me.

-tcf
Old May 31, 2011, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Apparently N no longer does.
Old May 31, 2011, 8:36 pm
alc

Off AEROPLAN web site:

Partner Details - Continental Airlines

It show you should get "100% of miles flown (minimum 500)" for the following booking class:

F, J, C, D, Z , Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, G, N1

1For travel until January 31, 2011, earn 100% in booking class N. As of February 1, 2011, no accrual will be eligible with booking class N.
Old May 31, 2011, 8:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Could it be that switching to CO caused a communication problem with AE membership # to be transferred when switching systems..

I would ensure that your AE membership # was transferred to CO correctly.. Even a call to CO to clarify..
Old Jun 22, 2011, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the responses.

It appears that one of the flights converted to Class Y and one converted to Class N. Aeroplan has told me to pound sand so I am going to attempt to address the issue with Air Canada to see if there is any recourse.

In the big scheme of things it's only 3700 miles but given that I missed Elite last year it will get me there faster this year with the amount of travel I'm doing again.

-tcf
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by timmycanfly
Thanks for all of the responses.

It appears that one of the flights converted to Class Y and one converted to Class N. Aeroplan has told me to pound sand so I am going to attempt to address the issue with Air Canada to see if there is any recourse.

In the big scheme of things it's only 3700 miles but given that I missed Elite last year it will get me there faster this year with the amount of travel I'm doing again.

-tcf
Please keep this thread alive until you get the results you deserve! I am interested in how this pans out!
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Please keep this thread alive until you get the results you deserve! I am interested in how this pans out!
+1..

Report back what's happened..

Did you just contact AC?..

Did you try calling CO?
Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:38 pm

Programs: Aeorplan E 75, Marriott Rewards Plat
As one of those who got caught by this, the thing that bugs me is that I understand the rules for the most part and booked a United ticket all in T class and double checked the AP site to make sure they counted towards point/status. There was no way that I could have known that the class on CO was N as nothing on my confirmation indicated that. AP has told me I'm SOL so I'm not sure I have the time or enrgy to fight a losing battle.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 1:06 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by yyjregular
As one of those who got caught by this, the thing that bugs me is that I understand the rules for the most part and booked a United ticket all in T class and double checked the AP site to make sure they counted towards point/status. There was no way that I could have known that the class on CO was N as nothing on my confirmation indicated that. AP has told me I'm SOL so I'm not sure I have the time or energy to fight a losing battle.
Take a number and get in line :

RANT: "Oh, no points because of operating carrier fare class"
Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

I didn't realize how common this issue was. From looking through that thread it appears that certain destinations are a common problem.

I have a love hate relationship with the CO YEG - IAH flight and will avoid it until I can determine I'm getting miles for it. I can do the same thing with AC through YYC with only a slight hit to time.

I've contacted the AC complaint department and provided all of the documentation for the flights. I tend to dig in when things like this happen so I'm going to continue to push as time allows. I may also call Continental as one of the flights should have been credited by all rules.

-tcf
Old Jun 30, 2011, 12:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by timmycanfly
I didn't realize how common this issue was. From looking through that thread it appears that certain destinations are a common problem.

I have a love hate relationship with the CO YEG - IAH flight and will avoid it until I can determine I'm getting miles for it. I can do the same thing with AC through YYC with only a slight hit to time.

I've contacted the AC complaint department and provided all of the documentation for the flights. I tend to dig in when things like this happen so I'm going to continue to push as time allows. I may also call Continental as one of the flights should have been credited by all rules.

-tcf
A little bit more complicated with UA/CO merger..

Seems the rebooked classes are causing confusion accross the board..
Old Jun 30, 2011, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Air Canada's canned reply

9Dear Mr. TCF,

Thank you for your email.

With respect to your concern regarding Air Canada and Star Alliance accumulation, as per guidelines, air miles accumulation is based on one way fare and the actual carrier that the passenger's travel. As per Star Alliance agreement, the fares that you booked with Air Canada do accrue miles with our Star Alliance.

With regards to your accrual level, we wish to inform you that individual airlines has it's own mileage accrual level, therefore you may wish to check the accruable classes on our website by following the following steps:

•Click on 'Loyalty Programme'
•Click on 'Earn Miles'
•Click on the hyperlink 'Accrual levels on Singapore Airlines and air-partners'

Mr TCF, thank you for taking the time to write to us. We are sorry for being unable to grant your request in this instance. Please contact us again if you require any other assistance.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. While we recognize your disappointment on this occasion, we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you onboard Air Canada on many future occasions.

Sincerely,
Nora

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.