The Complete Newbie Guide/FAQ to the Air Canada Aeroplan Mini-RTW

Subscribe
Best airlines to avoid high fees, YQ
I couldn't find any clear answers to this so apologies if it's already covered somewhere.

I'm in the early planning stages of a mini-rtw and in the past the plan was to avoid AC, LHR and FRA to keep fees low. With YQ now being charged by AE on a lot of partner airlines I'm no longer sure of the strategy to keep 'fees' low. Searching itineraries online brings into play so many airlines & options it's not easy to figure out who the lowest are. I read TK is a good choice for this - and I've had good experiences with them, but are there any others that don't charge YQ?

I was in Asia in December and wanted to take advantage of the class upgrade, which I did, but booking online without the ANA tool or a lot of time to search I paid $690 in taxes & fees (ouch)! I want to cut that way down on my next one.

I'm looking at J class and more concerned with comfortable 180 beds than the quality of food/beverages if that matters. Do UA/CO charge YQ? My first segment will be YOW to HKG so I'm open for route suggestions. I don't have dates locked down yet but it will be sometime in Dec 2012 or Jan 2013. I don't know how much YQ is on the YYZ - HKG direct flight since I haven't found any availability on it. So I'm assuming it wont be an option anyway.
Hi Everyone, in the early stages of planning a mini-RTW trip for Dec/Jan and would love some advice. I have read through some of the material here and it is pretty overwhelming. Any advice would be very welcomed even if it is just threads that I can go through.

Essentially I am looking to go from Toronto (YYZ) to the following locations in no particular order:

Singapore (Mostly because this is a main port city for flights from Toronto)
Malaysia
Thailand
Australia
New Zealand (Optional)
Fiji/Bora Bora (Optional)

From the research I have done there is an option for YYZ-SIN-SYD-YYZ there are some stopovers in there along the way but these are the cities I would effectively stay for longer than a layover with this itinerary.

Would appreciate any and all advice, especially any that relates to routes that will provide more coverage of the locations above.

Notes:
- I care more about direct flights or shorter travel times than saving fees
- I will likely book economy as I probably won't be able to collect enough aeroplan miles for business/first class by than.

Thanks!!!
Quote: From the research I have done there is an option for YYZ-SIN-SYD-YYZ there are some stopovers in there along the way but these are the cities I would effectively stay for longer than a layover with this itinerary.
This is not a mini-RTW, there are no stops in Europe. There are also no non-stop flights to SIN from YYZ (it's a loooooooong way). Perhaps you would be better off if you asked this question in another thread.
Quote: Notes:
- I care more about direct flights or shorter travel times than saving fees
- I will likely book economy as I probably won't be able to collect enough aeroplan miles for business/first class by than.
If you book economy tickets with your miles and pay fuel surcharges, then you get a very poor value for your miles. You would be better off just buying a ticket for cash, and also earn miles, which can be later used for business class awards.

For example, a cash economy ticket from Toronto to Singapore is around $1,200 - $1,300 all included, while a redemption could cost you 75,000 miles plus $1,000 in fees, so your 75,000 miles only get you $200-$300 discount, and you also miss out on earning miles, and you get much less flexibility.

Don't do it. Earn more miles and use them for a business class award.
Quote: If you book economy tickets with your miles and pay fuel surcharges, then you get a very poor value for your miles. You would be better off just buying a ticket for cash, and also earn miles, which can be later used for business class awards.

For example, a cash economy ticket from Toronto to Singapore is around $1,200 - $1,300 all included, while a redemption could cost you 75,000 miles plus $1,000 in fees, so your 75,000 miles only get you $200-$300 discount, and you also miss out on earning miles, and you get much less flexibility.

Don't do it. Earn more miles and use them for a business class award.
+1.. Gotta watch what you redeem miles for nowadays and look at the fees and selling prices of the tickets before pulling the trigger on the redemption. Business and first class redemptions is worth it, and some routes i.e. HI. Shorthaul from Western Canada to Florida worked out not bad for my buddy as he redeemed for 7 tickets round trip on one plane (he has 5 kids) and saved quite a bit.
Thanks for the advice everyone, I know you are doing this out of the goodness of your heart so I really really appreciate it. Had not realized that not going through Europe was considered not a mini-RTW. Any advice on where to post this would be appreciated.

Appreciate the advice on the business/first class, perhaps my wife and I might have to open a couple platinum amex cards to get the additional points needed for this.. would love some advice though as to my comments below as throwing on $1000 in fees to get those 100,000 points might negate the value of business class. Than again if what you are saying is true and I am off base with my comments below I need to reevaluate..

Here is what I was originally considering:

Fri Dec 21:
YYZ->FRA->SIN
Wed Jan 2:
SIN-> SYD
Tues Jan 22:
SYD->YVR->YYZ

Although I can't seem to be able to select the second flight anymore on aeroplan so I can't see the fees. Also what I meant by direct which reading it now was unclear, is that I prefer to spend less time in the air as opposed to saving $100 - $200 in fees/taxes.

In terms of the value, from what I can determine looking on Kayak these flights during the Christmas period (Dec/Jan) are in and around the $3500 mark. If I am totally off base there than let me know. And that is without your help in optimizing the stopovers and open jaws and such. I would think those are the main value adds with booking with Aeroplan when you are talking about a multi-destination trip?

Would appreciate any and all comments. Thanks!
Quote: Thanks for the advice everyone, I know you are doing this out of the goodness of your heart so I really really appreciate it. Had not realized that not going through Europe was considered not a mini-RTW. Any advice on where to post this would be appreciated.

Appreciate the advice on the business/first class, perhaps my wife and I might have to open a couple platinum amex cards to get the additional points needed for this.. would love some advice though as to my comments above as throwing on $1000 in fees to get those 100,000 points might negate the value of business class. Than again if what you are saying is true and I am off base with my comments below I need to reevaluate..

Here is what I was originally considering:

Fri Dec 21:
YYZ->FRA->SIN
Wed Jan 2:
SIN-> SYD
Tues Jan 22:
SYD->YVR->YYZ

Although I can't seem to be able to select the second flight anymore on aeroplan so I can't see the fees. Also what I meant by direct which reading it now was unclear, is that I prefer to spend less time in the air as opposed to saving $100 - $200 in fees/taxes.

In terms of the value, from what I can determine looking on Kayak these flights during the Christmas period (Dec/Jan) are in and around the $3500 mark. If I am totally off base there than let me know. And that is without your help in optimizing the stopovers and open jaws and such. I would think those are the main value adds with booking with Aeroplan when you are talking about a multi-destination trip?

Would appreciate any and all comments. Thanks!
if you cant see the flight, the inventory might be gone/taken away or by someone else
Quote: if you cant see the flight, the inventory might be gone/taken away or by someone else
I think he is referring to when certain flights displayed in the grid of available flights gets greyed out when you select your first sector. This happens when the first flight selected causes the next option/s to become invalid due to MPM or routing rules.
That is correct yycworldtraveler. (I like your username, I grew up in Calgary and most of my family is still there) It is odd though as it was allowing me to select the exact same segments a few days ago..do you see anything wrong with the segments I am trying to select?
Quote: I think he is referring to when certain flights displayed in the grid of available flights gets greyed out when you select your first sector. This happens when the first flight selected causes the next option/s to become invalid due to MPM or routing rules.
Because it exceeds MPM.......... You have to call Aeroplan and do a manual booking on this. If they say this is too far off the maximum permitted mileage, let them know this is a "published SQ routing"

Only down side is you get dinged for the booking fee of $30-35 per person

good luck
Thanks for the heads-up! Do you think that this routing is optimal for what I am trying to do? Is there a better route? Also do you agree that business class is worth spending $1000 to get the extra points? Or am I getting enough value from the economy route. Thanks!
Quote: Thanks for the heads-up! Do you think that this routing is optimal for what I am trying to do? Is there a better route? Also do you agree that business class is worth spending $1000 to get the extra points? Or am I getting enough value from the economy route. Thanks!
the difference between Economy and Business class is probably a difference of $5000 (assuming retail Economy class is $2000 and Business is $7000).

I will let you decide whether its worthwhile
quick question, i know i can only change routing after my reward trip commences, i currently have 1 stopover + destination, if i change an existing connection to a second stopover, would it just be $90+tax change fee or would all legs that i haven't flown be recalculated and accessed YQ

my apologies if this has been already answered somewhere
Quote: quick question, i know i can only change routing after my reward trip commences, i currently have 1 stopover + destination, if i change an existing connection to a second stopover, would it just be $90+tax change fee or would all legs that i haven't flown be recalculated and accessed YQ

my apologies if this has been already answered somewhere

Hi Wwtsang,

If you booked before the Fuel Surcharge increase, then you are correct:
Quote:
"I know i can only change routing after my reward trip commences"
If you do change before departure they will re-calculate all the taxes, fees and surcharges.

If you make any changes after departure you will need to pay for any taxes, landing fees, airport fees, air traffic fees but you will NOT have to pay more fuel surcharge fees.

Some people have reported that Aeroplan reps have said that you do have to pay but this is not correct, if this happens ask for a supervisor or call back.
Quote: Hi Wwtsang,

If you booked before the Fuel Surcharge increase, then you are correct:

If you do change before departure they will re-calculate all the taxes, fees and surcharges.

If you make any changes after departure you will need to pay for any taxes, landing fees, airport fees, air traffic fees but you will NOT have to pay more fuel surcharge fees.

Some people have reported that Aeroplan reps have said that you do have to pay but this is not correct, if this happens ask for a supervisor or call back.
thanks for the prompt answer

my current trip looks like this
YYZ-DUS-ZRH(stop)-BKK-HKG(dest)-ORD-YYZ
i'm looking to make DUS another stop, pretty sure that'll be doable right?
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  15  55  105