Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Air Canada Plane Spotting YYZ (Toronto)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Air Canada Plane Spotting YYZ (Toronto)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE (+1MM)
Air Canada Plane Spotting YYZ (Toronto)

So where is the best place to take your family to spot planes taking off and landing at YYZ? Years ago as I child I remember "Pepi's Jet Set Drive Inn" which I think was on Dixon / Airport Road. The parking lot was adjacent to the main North / South runway. You could grab some fast food and watch the planes up close as they flew over. I would like to offer the same experience to my wife and son. Any suggestions as to where to park and watch the planes fly by (up close)?
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:10 am

Programs: AC 75K
Check out this site: it lists a few options http://contrailsphotography.com/spottingyyz.html

I like #8 for arrivals from the east/departures to the west. and #7 for arrivals from the west.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:36 am

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
I like spot 8 - Never any security hassling you, and the Wendy's is there if you get hungry/thirsty.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:41 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wendy's is the best place, by far. By two-year-old loves watching the planes land there.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE (+1MM)
Thank You for your help. I think spot 8, particularly the Wendy's is where the old Drive In restaurant was when I was a kid. I am going to take my family to spot 8 as soon as I get a chance...
Old Jun 20, 2011, 12:46 pm

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by Jim007
Thank You for your help. I think spot 8, particularly the Wendy's is where the old Drive In restaurant was when I was a kid. I am going to take my family to spot 8 as soon as I get a chance...
It's most fun when the planes are landing on that runway (23?). Check liveatc.net to hear which runway is active before you go to best stake out your spot.

There is also a liveatc iPhone app (yes, I am that big of a nerd).
Old Jun 20, 2011, 1:06 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
If they are landing from the west to the east, location #6 is fine. Otherwise, Wendy's is the best.

Brian
Old Jun 20, 2011, 4:02 pm

Programs: AC E50K
I like #7. From Derry, turn into FedEx and it is at the end of the road. You can watch planes taking off and landing from both directions. Since it is a dead end, you don't worry about traffic and let the kids roam freely. Bring drink/snack as there is no service around. Yes, empty the bladder (at Wendy's) before you get there. Lots of spotters here with ATC radio scanners, you can listen in and know what is coming and going. All spotter are very friendly. Check my handle.

Warning about #8. The plane landing on runway 23 seems appear all the sudden above your head and loud. Small kids may be scared.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 4:09 pm

Programs: AC E50K
Originally Posted by briantoronto
If they are landing from the west to the east, location #6 is fine. Otherwise, Wendy's is the best.

Brian
Dixie Road (spot #6) is now no parking. Traffic on Dixie Road is fast and not recommended for small kids running around.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 4:24 pm

FEDEX is fine, but you don't get the shock and awe that Wendy's gives you:

Blue Angel by BriYYZ, on Flickr

Air France A340-300 F-GNIH by BriYYZ, on Flickr

Emirates A380 by BriYYZ, on Flickr
Old Jun 20, 2011, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Spot planes
Dixie Road (spot #6) is now no parking. Traffic on Dixie Road is fast and not recommended for small kids running around.
You don't park on Dixie, of course. You park on Director Gate (the road off Dixie), or in a lot off Davand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.