Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan Reward Changes After Departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2011, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada-Aeroplan, NEXUS, E50K, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite

Sorry if this is posted already. I was just wondering if you guys know what the procedure is. I know to change dates/city it is a 90 dollar charge plus the other fees.

I will be flying YUL-AMS-HKG, SIN-YUL.

I was wondering if I have already departed YUL can I still make a change to the SIN-YUL portion of the trip?

ie I'm leaving May 17th. The return flight is July 26th but I want to extend the trip a bit longer. Just wondering if I'm allowed to make changes once I have already departed. Otherwise I'll have to change it ASAP.

Thanks!
Old May 14, 2011, 11:37 am

Programs: aeroplan,aaadvantage
no nyet nien

once you have begun your ticket you can only change the deperature date for any further legs same carrier same route all for the aeroplan low low price of 90.00
Old May 14, 2011, 1:18 pm

Programs: CX Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by mboca28
once you have begun your ticket you can only change the deperature date for any further legs same carrier same route all for the aeroplan low low price of 90.00
This used to be correct, but hasn't been the case for at least the past 5 months. On *A awards you can change the dates, carriers, and routing of all your remaining legs on a ticket after departure.

Adrian
Old May 14, 2011, 4:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Fritz_Blitz
This used to be correct, but hasn't been the case for at least the past 5 months. On *A awards you can change the dates, carriers, and routing of all your remaining legs on a ticket after departure.

Adrian
So the fee in your response is not correct?
Old May 15, 2011, 12:08 am
Suspended

Programs: AC*SE,SPG Platinum,HHounours Gold, FairmontPlat
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
So the fee in your response is not correct?
No he is correct on everything that he mentioned above and also you must pay the change fee as well of $90.00 + taxes...nothing is FREE at AE!
Old May 15, 2011, 1:04 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold

Adrian
Really? Can you confirm the new policy anywhere on the website? I had this issue 3 months ago and they did not allow me to change the airlines even though it was the same routing
Old May 15, 2011, 1:21 am
Suspended

Programs: AC*SE,SPG Platinum,HHounours Gold, FairmontPlat
Originally Posted by damaxer91
Really? Can you confirm the new policy anywhere on the website? I had this issue 3 months ago and they did not allow me to change the airlines even though it was the same routing
It's nowhere to be found on the Website but took effect around early Feb this year. If the agent gives you grief about it ask to be transferred to a Lead Agent.
Old May 15, 2011, 1:41 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Originally Posted by EZESE
It's nowhere to be found on the Website but took effect around early Feb this year. If the agent gives you grief about it ask to be transferred to a Lead Agent.
Fantastic! Thanks for the info
Old May 15, 2011, 6:43 am

Programs: Aeroplan
The conditions of change are actually listed on the website:

Just be aware that half the flight you want to change to could be half empty, but if there are no AEROPLAN seats available on the plane, you're not going to get the change unless you have status. This one never ceases to confuse me because why would they not want to change you to a flight that has available seats and possibly free up a seat on the flight your are changing from for a possible revenue customer?

Changing Flight Rewards

29. Voluntary changes or cancellations to eligible itineraries must be done no later than two hours prior to departure and may require the payment of additional fees or the collection of additional Aeroplan Miles.

a) Failure to change or cancel your flight reward reservation would forfeit your reward ticket. Tickets that have been forfeit are no longer valid for travel.
b) Provided that you change your booking a minimum of two hours before departure, your unused reward tickets will remain valid for one year from the date of their original issue.
c) For changes to your flight reward reservations, members must call the Aeroplan Contact Centre.

30. For CA$90 per ticket (plus applicable taxes), you can make changes to the flight date(s), flight number(s), routing and/or itinerary changes (including cabin) by calling the Aeroplan Contact Centre.

31. You may need to add more Aeroplan Miles in order to make changes to your reward trip. In such cases, you'll need to authorize the redemption of those additional miles.

32. Other changes may reduce the Aeroplan Miles required. Because we can't refund those miles, you could cancel your existing reward travel and start the reward reservation process over again. You'll also have to consider that associated fees will apply and all arrangements depend on reward seat availability.

33. Name changes are not permitted once the reservation has been made or tickets have been issued.

34. Same-day standby at the airport is permitted for earlier flights within North America-free of charge-for passengers holding a confirmed Aeroplan seat on Air Canada and/or Air Canada Jazz in the Executive cabin only. Departure and arrival cities must be the same as the confirmed flight. Same-day standby must be requested at the departure city, once the member has checked in for a confirmed flight. Additional restrictions may apply.

35. Same-day confirmed change at the airport is permitted to either an earlier or later flight on the same itinerary for a charge of $75 (Cdn) for passengers holding either an Economy or Executive cabin confirmed Aeroplan ClassicFlight or ClassicPlus flight reward on Air Canada and/or Air Canada Jazz. Same-day changes are subject to availability. No additional mileage charges apply for changes made on the day of travel at the airport.

36. ClassicPlus flight rewards cannot be changed to ClassicFlight rewards or Star Alliance flight rewards.

Prior to your reward travel, but after your reward ticket has been issued

37. Before you depart, you're welcome to change your flight reward travel with Air Canada, Star Alliance and Air Canada Jazz, depending on the availability of rewards. To make a change, please call the Aeroplan Contact Centre.

Once reward travel has begun

38. Once you embark, you can still make changes to your reward travel electronic tickets on Air Canada and Air Canada Jazz, depending on reward space availability. For paper ticket holders, the passenger can access an Air Canada ticket counter, if a ticket reissue is necessary. All changes must be within the same reward zone. To make a change, please call the Aeroplan Contact Center.
Old May 15, 2011, 7:09 am

Programs: aeroplan,aaadvantage
thanks for the correction

i wish i could have used this in the past a couple of times we wanted to stay longer or a better return option became available and i couldnt change

for example i have booked YYZ-DTW-FRA( A class)-BLQ 6/15

return BLQ-FRA-DTW-YYZ 7/6 but we want BLQ-FRA-MIA( stopover)-YYZ

this is a valid routing by the way and you get the A 380 fra to miami

Lufthansa always releases upon availabilty 3 weeks prior and based on availability and past experience the fra-mia will become available

Are you telling me that I can change my routing once I have travelled to BLQ?
Old May 15, 2011, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada-Aeroplan, NEXUS, E50K, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite
Thanks all!

I decided I might as well just change it now to avoid the hassle while backpacking! Worked out alright now I get to go on an A380 SIN-ZRH!

Too bad oil prices have gone up so much....fuel surcharge + swiss airport fee ended up being > 5 hr longer AC flight fuel surcharge. but only by 50 bucks. Well worth it to stay warm in SE Asia!
Old May 15, 2011, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by mboca28

Are you telling me that I can change my routing once I have travelled to BLQ?
Yes, you can change the dates and/or routing once you are in BLQ.

Adrian
Old May 15, 2011, 5:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by EZESE
No he is correct on everything that he mentioned above and also you must pay the change fee as well of $90.00 + taxes...nothing is FREE at AE!
Ok.. let me get this straight.. $90 for changes..

and up until 5 months ago, now you can make changes no charge once you disembark for no charge? Just pay the difference in fees if there is a difference.

Or am I still confused?
Old May 15, 2011, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Ok.. let me get this straight.. $90 for changes..

and up until 5 months ago, now you can make changes no charge once you disembark for no charge? Just pay the difference in fees if there is a difference.

Or am I still confused?
Still confused

You will always pay the $90 change fee...

Up until 5 months ago you could only change dates on an award reservation after departure, not the routing and carrier.

5 months ago there was a change made and you can now change the dates, routing, and carrier after departure.

Adrian
Old May 16, 2011, 12:01 am
Suspended

Still confused

You will always pay the $90 change fee...

Up until 5 months ago you could only change dates on an award reservation after departure, not the routing and carrier.

5 months ago there was a change made and you can now change the dates, routing, and carrier after departure.

Adrian
Ok.. thanks.

I always thought the $90 change fee applied.. so we're good there.

So after departure and completing the departure leg.. I wouldn't have been able to change to a different routing than what was originally booked? Thus the Arrival would had to have been the same routing and carrier but on a different day? Or is it the remaining connections of the departure.. or both?

Its good 5 months ago that they changed this.. I would have been some hoopla to jump through to find another day that works on the same routing and carrier..

I could have sworn over the years, I've made changes to the arrival routing, and date while in the middle of my vacation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.