Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

BoB hot meal tray - anybody tried it

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BoB hot meal tray - anybody tried it

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by swonder
Are surplus hot meals from the J cabin still a thing? If so, what is the current price? Sitting in bulkhead tomorrow and would purchase if available. Can't find any recent mentions of this option though.
I have no idea on pricing, but it still is a thing, I see the extra meals being brought to the back on a regular basis.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 3:01 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by swonder
Are surplus hot meals from the J cabin still a thing? If so, what is the current price? Sitting in bulkhead tomorrow and would purchase if available. Can't find any recent mentions of this option though.
Yes I do it all the time if I am sitting in Y. Sadly I can never remember the price (which means I felt it was totally acceptable and not worth a second thought) but that means it's probably somewhere between $14-$19.

You just have to ask for it (assuming there are leftover).
Old Nov 10, 2014, 3:12 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, Avis Preferred Plus
I usually buy them when sitting in Y. The breakfast meal is $11 and includes a snack. The lunch/dinner meal is $13.50 and also includes a snack. I think they are pretty good value compared to the other choices on the menu.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 3:20 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by jeffypop75
I usually buy them when sitting in Y. The breakfast meal is $11 and includes a snack. The lunch/dinner meal is $13.50 and also includes a snack. I think they are pretty good value compared to the other choices on the menu.
Geez, those aren't bad prices at all!
Old Nov 10, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by jaysona
Super good value. Cheaper than an eUpgrade too (for me, sometimes all I really wanted from the front is the meal, especially if it's not a red-eye or a super-long flight.)

Granted I miss the nuts and the free flow booze, but you can also buy booze with the tray as a combo. It works out to be about $20 even for a mini-bottle of wine with the main course tray plus a snack.

l.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by jaysona
My thoughts exactly. Get a preferred seat in domestic PE, buy a $13.50 hot meal if available -- it's domestic J for the everyman
Old Nov 10, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
I used to do this regularly. If the Ben(s) or Andrew are listening: flights need more stock of these. If you are not sitting in the first few rows, they are always out by the time the FA gets to you. So how about a buy in advance option? Or how about just adding more to each flight? I would happily pay $20 for a good hot meal on an evening flight with a mini bottle of whatever and a snack. Make it easy, not hard, AC. Seriously.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 3:38 pm

Sadly it's not advertised very well. The flights that I don't do it, I never see anyone from Y do it. The second I order and get one, there are 10 people asking for one and they've run out. Happens every time.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 3:42 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Sadly it's not advertised very well. The flights that I don't do it, I never see anyone from Y do it. The second I order and get one, there are 10 people asking for one and they've run out. Happens every time.
So true. I usually am sitting somewhere up front in 12 or 13 and will furtively whisper when the drink cart first comes by "What do you have left from up front?" so as to draw as little attention to the opportunity. I want my steak dammit! (or salmon, or pasta... whatever's available really)

l.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
I think it's prominently featured in the BOB Menu. Bear in mind the company audits everything and I have done flights where not a single one has sold. It's also based on boarding ratios in J/C as they are overflow casseroles, historical sales, on-board space, oven capacity, etc. Have you tried the recent addition of Mac 'n' Cheese from the Y/C BOB - it's very good ^
Old Nov 10, 2014, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
I think it's prominently featured in the BOB Menu. Bear in mind the company audits everything and I have done flights where not a single one has sold. It's also based on boarding ratios in J/C as they are overflow casseroles, historical sales, on-board space, oven capacity, etc. Have you tried the recent addition of Mac 'n' Cheese from the Y/C BOB - it's very good ^
Thank you for jumping in! I really love when you post!!

Yes, it is on the BOB menu, but I don't think they do a great job of advertising what it is, Ie: any extra business meals. (they would have to word it politely). I think if they indicated that in some way people would be more inclined to get it, simply because they have an anticipation of what a economy meal is like they don't bother. I kid you not, every time mine shows up people around me start asking to buy one.

As for it being based on boarding ratios in J/C, this I completely expected! Along with historical data.

Yes, I have tried the Mac 'n' Cheese and I did like it! It's a good addition .

Idea / Concept:
If it was better advertised in a more appealing or honest way I do believe they would sell more. This would allow them (based on historical data) to therefor load more because they know it will sell (It sells because the price point is dead on!)

So why is this an idea? Because if it allowed them to load more, then they can load more in the appropriate ratios for types of meals, making more available for the J cabin. Thus resulting in J members less likely (or possibly ever) hearing the "we are out of....".

Then it becomes a better experience for the J because they get what they want and it becomes a great experience for Y because they get buy it at a fair price.

I know this is an A leads to B leads to C leads to Profit and happier J and Y clients, but I really do think there is something there.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 4:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Sean -

All valid points and ratio adjustments take place largely because of this kind of feedback. Personally when I make my service announcements post take-off, I highlight and make mention of those entrees which are available in addition to the regular BOB offerings.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Sean -

All valid points and ratio adjustments take place largely because of this kind of feedback. Personally when I make my service announcements post take-off, I highlight and make mention of those entrees which are available in addition to the regular BOB offerings.
Well then I clearly need to be on more of your flights! That's a good idea and very smart thing to do! I'll bet you sell more of them on your flights than others do on theirs.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K
The hot meal tray is the best deal. I have it all the time on YVR-YYZ vv. Agree not well advertised, may be AC only want to sell the "surplus" or "left over" from J to recover J cost. AC never intend to make it a feature in the first place.

As many suggested before, AC should make it pre-paid buy on line.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 4:35 pm

Well then I clearly need to be on more of your flights! That's a good idea and very smart thing to do! I'll bet you sell more of them on your flights than others do on theirs.
Not necessarily. Even with a highlight announcement and augmented by a high number of J/C refusals, there were 9 untouched and unsold breakfast entrees on my SFO/YYZ flight a few weeks ago. It so hit or miss.
It's also a bit of a Catch 22. Promoting hot entrees which sell out very early also increase potential disappointment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.