Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AP Just wiped out my account - now what???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AP Just wiped out my account - now what???

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2011, 10:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Although no sympathy for those who let their mile expire.. Aeroplan certainly has no business changing rules for existing customers who sign up on original terms and conditions.

Miles earned under the old rules should be grandfathered jmho.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 3:55 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
I'm slightly embarrassed to be posting this, but...

...checked Mrs Sopwith's AE account this morning to make sure they had posted flights from a couple of weeks ago. I was gobsmacked to see they had wiped out >22,000 points from the account in November. Being an FF myself, and she being an infrequent flyer, we haven't been paying too much attention to the expiry because I was under the apparently mistaken impression points expired after 7 years. Didn't realize the one year of inactivity rule.

Technically our mistake I suppose, but an honourable company would at least send a reminder 30 days in advance. A semi-honourable company would send a note after the fact saying what they had done. Then there's Aeroplan.

Is there any point in engaging them? Given the value of the points, we certainly aren't prepared to pay anything for reinstatement.

As if everything else wasnt bad enough.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Stranger
When you check your account on aeroplan.com, it also tells you clearly when the account expires.

(BTW, just fixing my typo, is it not supposed to be areoplan in Quebec? )
No, it's érrorplan.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 4:39 pm

Programs: 100K
Originally Posted by Sopwith

Is there any point in engaging them? Given the value of the points, we certainly aren't prepared to pay anything for reinstatement.

There's no point in complaining to Aeorplan that their strategy to reduce their liabilities off the books is working.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 4:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Technically our mistake I suppose, but an honourable company would at least send a reminder 30 days in advance.
I wouldn't think there's any technicality involved as it was an oversight plain & simple. But what's done is done.

Some on this thread have reported recieving a 30 day expiry notice so you could plead your case to AP that you never received that notice and hope they take pity on you. IMHO worth a shot as you've literally got nothing to lose.

Please let us know how it goes so others can learn and of course good luck!
Old Feb 18, 2012, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador

Technically our mistake I suppose, but an honourable company would at least send a reminder 30 days in advance. A semi-honourable company would send a note after the fact saying what they had done. Then there's Aeroplan.
Perhaps they did but

+ you had moved and not notified them of address change

+ you don't use the email address you previously had registered

+ emails went to spam and you don't check your spam folder
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold

...checked Mrs Sopwith's AE account this morning to make sure they had posted flights from a couple of weeks ago. I was gobsmacked to see they had wiped out >22,000 points from the account in November. Being an FF myself, and she being an infrequent flyer, we haven't been paying too much attention to the expiry because I was under the apparently mistaken impression points expired after 7 years. Didn't realize the one year of inactivity rule.

You could restore your account by paying a fee. IIRC its 1 cent per mile, so 22,000 AE miles would be $220.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:58 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
You could restore your account by paying a fee. IIRC its 1 cent per mile, so 22,000 AE miles would be $220.
I haven't actually tried to call them yet - I've been busy this week. Frankly, considering the trivial value of the points and the aggravation factor that comes with trying to use them, I'm not very motivated. If I call and they insist on $200 to reinstate the account I know there will be fireworks, and in the end I'll tell them to pound sand.

As a matter of interest I did check my BA account. The points expire in three years, AND you can get a family account that allows you to combine points. Apparently BA values my business considerably more than AC, who has allowed their provider to abuse me. Point noted for future reference.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 11:55 pm
Original Member

If Aeroplan was going to send out a letter advising you of expiring points, I'd expect them do send it 30 days after your points expired.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:01 am

If I call and they insist on $200 to reinstate the account I know there will be fireworks, and in the end I'll tell them to pound sand.
The offer is normally 1 cent per mile plus a $30 admin. fee making it $250.00 to get the miles back.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 1:52 am
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Plus taxes.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Eh, be happy. You are now a free man.

They solved your problem for you. I cannot imagine the miles were really worth anything to you in the first place.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stranger
Eh, be happy. You are now a free man.

They solved your problem for you. I cannot imagine the miles were really worth anything to you in the first place.
The irony of taking points out of a customer's account.. AC/AE ends up losing a significant portion of business from that customer. In the overall scheme of things, it means millions of potential future revenue wiped out. This isn't good for AC and AE's bottom line.

I'm wondering for the past while, why extra incentives such as 20% to 25% bonus points Amex conversion points and the Rexall bonus for prescription transfers were offered?.. Even the economy points for business. My theory is its funded by wiped out points from unfortunate members' accounts.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:20 pm

The irony of taking points out of a customer's account.. AC/AE ends up losing a significant portion of business from that customer. In the overall scheme of things, it means millions of potential future revenue wiped out. This isn't good for AC and AE's bottom line.
It's not ironic, just business where it's miles in, miles out. AC cancelling the miles deducts them off their books as an unfunded liability so it's in their financial interest to effect a dormant account clause as previous poster unfortunately found out.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 2:51 pm

The irony of taking points out of a customer's account.. AC/AE ends up losing a significant portion of business from that customer.
A customer that has ZERO activity in a year is "significant"???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.