Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Are you willing to pay the person in front not to recline?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2011, 2:19 am
Original Poster

Two weeks ago I was stuck in Y (Antigua to Montreal), because AC uses one of its two 319’s with all economy seating (3 x 3). Plus it takes an hour longer to fly as not certified to take a more direct route over water. I paid the woman in the seat in front of me not to recline. What would you consider to be a fair rate for this service?
Old Apr 4, 2011, 2:45 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta, Starwood, Fairmount
Originally Posted by YULMrBean
Two weeks ago I was stuck in Y (Antigua to Montreal), because AC uses one of its two 319’s with all economy seating (3 x 3). Plus it takes an hour longer to fly as not certified to take a more direct route over water. I paid the woman in the seat in front of me not to recline. What would you consider to be a fair rate for this service?
Hee, hee, hee - April Fools joke?

If you are serious I'd do it for $100...
Old Apr 4, 2011, 2:47 am

Programs: aeroplan E .HH.
How much did you pay for 6 inches?

if we all reclin at the same time and sit up at meal times whats the gain? guess seat guru will tell us but $100 for 6 inches is the street rate so i hear
Old Apr 4, 2011, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/WaterCoole...=128225&page=1
Old Apr 4, 2011, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My brother (weighs in at big NFL DT size) was on Canjet to Antigua and back a few weeks ago.He too complained of being stuck in Y
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:14 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles
How much did you pay? I'll do it for $200 ^
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Banned on a number of airlines. As an aside, if I ever find someone using it to try to limit my recline, "we will have words."
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:39 am

I'd accept $100 to not recline. As for paying, I just told the guy in front when he tried to recline that that was my knee stopping him, and he'd probably get a more restful sleep if he didn't try to recline.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 8:08 am

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I don't think this debate will ever get solved, but here's my opinion on it anyway.

I think it's intersting that this often gets framed as either being a right, or not; I don't think it is. On the otherhand I beleive using the seat and it's designed recline is part of the service you are paying for, moreover having you space limited when the person in front reclines is also part of the service you are paying for. I am therefore of the opinion that agreeing the person in front to have them not recline is perfectly reasonable, and that paying for the service is more likely to result in comming to such an agreement. The flip side of this agreement is that without an agreement it doesn't matter how tall you are, or how uncomforatable it makes you, the person in front gets to recline their seat.

I see this exactly the same way I see it when a person asks to change seats to sit by their traveling companion because they booked a tango fare and could not preselect seats. You are reasonable to say no, but have the option to say yes. This person could have payed for preselection, but didn't; the person behind could have payed for extra leg room, but they didn't.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 8:18 am

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
I don't mind the person in front reclines. So I won't pay him not to.

Having said that, I do not want the person behind me telling me not to recline when I want to. If they ask me not to recline, I would tell them I'm willing to be paid not to recline. My rate would be $100 per hour.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 9:47 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Is it just me, but with no recline the head drop as I snooze off wakes me up, but with the recline (small as it is) don't have this problem. I really do not like reclining back 'cause I know it might be unconfortable for the folks behind but...
Old Apr 4, 2011, 9:53 am
Original Poster

This is a completely true story. I am 6’ 2” 200 lbs and find I need the space. I was persuaded to fly Y because it was a direct flight from Antigua to Montreal. I could only negotiate a price of $50 with the lady in front. She did demand payment one hour before landing. In retrospect I should have covered this by offering a similar deal to the guy behind me. Needless to say that my wife was mortified by my dealings thereby guaranteeing we won’t be sitting in Y again.

Last edited by Simon; Apr 5, 2011 at 5:00 pm Reason: reference to deleted post
Old Apr 4, 2011, 9:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Here's what you do: at the beginning of the flight you tear a $100 bill in half. You hand it to the person in front of you and tell them they get the other half at the end of the flight if they don't recline.

Never tried it (or thought about it until now for that matter), but I'd bet it would work.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DillMan
Here's what you do: at the beginning of the flight you tear a $100 bill in half. You hand it to the person in front of you and tell them they get the other half at the end of the flight if they don't recline.

Never tried it (or thought about it until now for that matter), but I'd bet it would work.
Not on me. It depends on the length of the flight, but no way would I refrain from reclining on long-haul for only $100.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 11:13 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
It always amazes me how some oversized people expect the person sitting in front of them to not recline their seat. If extra legroom is that important to you, then select a seat behind a non-reclining row or pay extra for a bulkhead/exit row seat. Otherwise everyone has the right to recline their seat. The $25 fee is a lot cheaper than trying to pay a fellow passenger LOL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.